A bit of "spiritual audio journey" I want to share with you guys.

TumbleButt

(Note: If being an audiophile means I have to be very well versed with the audio-terms/lingoes, I guess I fail to qualify. So, do take my words with a grain of salt. Plus, possibly long thread.)

So, a friend of mine got an invitation to a convention for audiophiles and he tagged me along. As soon as we got there, we had to surrender any gear that we had that has a camera or is a camera. So, sorry if i cannot provide photos as the convention marshals were technophiles, so... yeah, they didn't even let in anyone who had a cellphone that had a camera even if it had like a quarter of a megapixel.

The area was like I think 200 square meters of space that had a fuckton of headphones, but it was rather spacious because there wasn't that many people. So, yeah, I couldn't try all of it. But I must share my first impression on headphones that I've tried (in the order of which one I tried first), but please do take note that each headphone had a O2 ODAC+Amp and could be a victim of a bad batch from production or a victim of the owner's usage or something else. Anyways, here's the list of headphones I've tried with my own comments:

1.) Beyerdynamic DT 150-

I must say that these headphones are incredible. From what I'm told (please do feel free to correct this because I may have gotten false info), these headphones were in production since the 70s and are still in production and are ideally meant for broadcasting. That said, these are the most neutral closed-backs I've ever tried. The bass quantity is light for a closed-back, but not light to the point that I can't hear or feel them. Its wonderful and I could recommend these.

2.) Oppo PM-1-

I must say that I am not a fan of these headphones. I'm not sure what a "dark" headphone sounds like in person, but if this counts... then I guess I consider this my first.

3.) AKG K240 (600 ohms)

I am not sure why these headphones have been discontinued. I mean, I've been told that there's still a market who don't give two shits about how high the impedance can be or are a fan of headphones with high impedance, but yeah. Anyways, I may not really care about impedance, but I do care about the sound quality. I like the quality coming out of the headphones, I like that the bass sounds like its a well restrained, the mids and the highs are smooth, but there's something I don't like about it in terms of sound quality. I can't put my finger on it, but yeah... I'm not a huge fan of it.

4.) Audeze EL-8 (Open)

The audio coming out of these cans are actually really good. Depsite my bias towards the Hifiman HE-500, I'd take the EL-8 in a hearbeat. Sure, the HE-500s are great, and I somewhat have a sentimental feeling for it, I'd take the EL-8. After checking the price-tag... I'd say they are a tie.

5.) (Fake) Sennheiser Orpheus

Yes, it even said so at its own pedestal/booth/whatever. It was there because the guy who funded the convention wanted us to be aware of. They said if the Orpheus can be faked, be aware of other products (though specifically headphones since we're in a convention that caters to audiophiles, but the idea of anything can be faked is pretty much the lesson) because any headphone is vulnerable to getting faked. It sounds like a pair of HD 600s with bloated bass and bad treble at 2khz... I'm like, WHAT? If this was true, I'd say that the Orpheus is an overpriced piece of art. But since I was listening to a pair of fakes... yep,

6.) Shure SRH 940

I'm sorry, but the build quality... AAAHHHHH. It makes the ATH-M50s feel like its made of adamantium. Its horrible for what it is externally since it gives me NO confidence of even putting it over my head. The sound quality is somewhat more neutral than the m50s, but damn. I feel like I was gonna pay a fee if I broke those headphones just for putting it over my head. I can't accept that. I've tried the 840s and they sound, to my ear, better than the 940s, but gave me confidence that the only way its gonna break is if I meant to do so. In terms of physical quality, the 440s, a cheaper headphone from Shure, gave me actual confidence that I'm not gonna break them by accident. What the hell Shure? Please tell me that its just a bad batch.

7.) Audeze LCD-2 (Revision 2)

Compared to the HD 800, despite that it somewhat loses out in terms of neutrality, I have to say...oh my, first time I've put on a pair of headphones that gave me tears of joy. My friend was like "Dude, what the fuck?" and probably baffled. I don't know what it had, but oh my gahd. I want this. I really, really, REALLY want this. My O2 ODAC+AMP will drive this (I think, all I know is that it does support 300 ohms and higher) but I wouldn't know (nor exactly care) even if investing into a much more expensive DAC and AMP would give me more, but dayum. I mean, this was plugged to an O2 ODAC+AMP and I have one, so it should do the trick, and it did somewhat made me cry. Sadly, my credit card has been taken hostage by my significant other, so I could only dream. I spent like 30 minutes on that booth... and I oh man... now I feel like crying that I can't buy one. Sure, I sound like a hypocrite on the price since I did not really like the pricing on the EL-8, but I'm more of willing to pay an extra if there is atleast a subjective benefit that I find, feel, or in this case, hear. If only I still had my credit card.

"Don't listen to headphones you can't afford" -xtroria

Do note that in the convention: None of the headphones were for sale. They were just there for us to enjoy, talk about audio, etc...

But I must say, I feel like going on an adventure to atleast try more and more headphones. So, do you guys have any suggestions on which headphones to try?

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

I was pretty satisfied with the fact my K7xx still makes me happy after a headphone meet.

Not so with my iem sadly, damn 1964 ears v6s

I've never heard a pair myself but i'd love to try a pair of balanced HD 800's... that'd be a real treat.

There's just something about the treble at 6khz which i found out after trying a pair of HD650s. I used to own one (HD800), I enjoyed it, but i had to sell them due to an emergency. With the leftover, I got myself a pair of HE-500s and I enjoyed the much more than the HD 800s. As much as I say I like neutral headphones, there's just something in those planar magnetic drivers that just makes me go:

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

I was pretty satisfied with the fact my K7xx still makes me happy after a headphone meet.

Not so with my iem sadly, damn 1964 ears v6s

I have never tried the K7XX. Out of curiosity, what did you like about the K7XX in terms of audio quality?

There's just something about the treble at 6khz which i found out after trying a pair of HD650s. I used to own one (HD800), I enjoyed it, but i had to sell them due to an emergency. With the leftover, I got myself a pair of HE-500s and I enjoyed the much more than the HD 800s. As much as I say I like neutral headphones, there's just something in those planar magnetic drivers that just makes me go:

If you liked the HE-500, be interesting to see what you think of the HE-400i. Some say they are similar, others not so much.

If you liked the HE-500, be interesting to see what you think of the HE-400i. Some say they are similar, others not so much.

I'll try them out one day. I just need to find a store that has them.

I've never heard a pair myself but i'd love to try a pair of balanced HD 800's... that'd be a real treat.

I listened to anax modded HD800 with auralic vega and bottlehead crack, the most spacious headphone i've tried

I have never tried the K7XX. Out of curiosity, what did you like about the K7XX in terms of audio quality?

Very slightly bright sounding, like how HD600 is very slightly warm sounding.

I listened to anax modded HD800 with auralic vega and bottlehead crack, the most spacious headphone i've tried

Very slightly bright sounding, like how HD600 is very slightly warm sounding.

Now I feel like I wanna try them myself. Sadly... not sure if I could find a local store that has one... nor can I buy one.

Now I feel like I wanna try them myself. Sadly... not sure if I could find a local store that has one... nor can I buy one.

Dont worry he-500 is better than K7xx already. Rn I'm waiting for HE-400s as i might get one

@SSL are you gonna buy HE-400s, tyll hertens seem to really like it, only $300 too for an ortho

Dont worry he-500 is better than K7xx already. Rn I'm waiting for HE-400s as i might get one

Not exactly worried about which headphone are better, but I'd like to try one out of curiosity. The HE-400s are wonderful though, not sure if I can give a concrete judgement comparing the 400s to the 500s (been more than a year without a pair of 500s) but all I can say is that the 400s aren't far behind. Its very close IMHO.

Not exactly worried about which headphone are better, but I'd like to try one out of curiosity. The HE-400s are wonderful though, not sure if I can give a concrete judgement comparing the 400s to the 500s (been more than a year without a pair of 500s) but all I can say is that the 400s aren't far behind. Its very close IMHO.

I'm not talking about he-400, but HE-400s, a differeny headphone

Oh... damn... didn't know that.

Oh boy...hadn't heard about these. I'll wait for the review and measurements, but they seem very promising. Standard 2.5mm cable connectors by the look of it...yeah this is good shit.

Oh boy...hadn't heard about these. I'll wait for the review and measurements, but they seem very promising. Standard 2.5mm cable connectors by the look of it...yeah this is good shit.

The $300 price tag though and only ~380 g, dayum.

I think this one will sound more neutral compared to your typical hifiman bright highs

The $300 price tag though and only ~380 g, dayum.

I think this one will sound more neutral compared to your typical hifiman bright highs

Right? Hopefully it drives down the price of other cans under $500, if it's as good as Tyll thinks. Plus if Tyll likes it the sound siggy is probably warmish. Which is perfect since that is what I'm going for in my next headphone.

I like this thread. @xtroria/SSL, what's the difference between the HE-400 and HE-400i? 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I like this thread. @xtroria/SSL, what's the difference between the HE-400 and HE-400i? 

The HE-400 is one of hifiman's previous generation of planars; originally came in at $500 I think, now can be had for $300 or so new. Overall sound signature is generally V-shaped, good bass, slightly edgy highs, only major drawback being the relative lack of mids.

HE-400i was just released late last year. New industrial design with reduced weight and improved comfort. Sound-wise, seems like people are saying it is not really a successor to the 400 as the bass is more reserved while the mids are much better. Technically a better can by all accounts but probably dissapointing for those hoping for a real improvement on the HE-400 or even HE-500.

Presumably that is where the HE-400s comes in. I just found out about it in this thread and I don't think many other people are even aware of it. Same form factor as the HE-400i, but the few people who have tried them seem to agree the sound is more "fun", possibly in the spirit of the original HE-400. Best of all, it's expected to MSRP at $300. More info here.

snip

That's a very interesting little writeup. I'll have to keep them in mind next time I'm looking for headphones, although I may end up moving all the way up to the he-560, or something similar. What's your opinion on the new design? I can't decide if I like the metal band that goes over the top or not.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

That's a very interesting little writeup. I'll have to keep them in mind next time I'm looking for headphones, although I may end up moving all the way up to the he-560, or something similar. What's your opinion on the new design? I can't decide if I like the metal band that goes over the top or not.

It looks much more ergonimic to me - haven't had the opprotunity to try, sadly. And generally people report that it is both lighter and more comfortable than the old design. Combine that with no reports of durability issues, I think it is a clear advancement.

It looks much more ergonimic to me - haven't had the opprotunity to try, sadly. And generally people report that it is both lighter and more comfortable than the old design. Combine that with no reports of durability issues, I think it is a clear advancement.

I had the opportunity to listen to some he-560s a few weeks ago, but unfortunately, I was rather distracted by the lcd-3 next to me (not to mention, I didn't really know what the 560 really was)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I had the opportunity to listen to some he-560s a few weeks ago, but unfortunately, I was rather distracted by the lcd-3 next to me (not to mention, I didn't really know what the 560 really was)

Understandable. The 560 has the same construction as the 400i, for what that's worth; smaller and lighter than the LCDs.

Tried HE560, it's comfortable since the pressure on the noggins is really well distributed although clamping force is a tad top high, perhaps it's because I'm used to akg's light side clamping force

Tried HE560, it's comfortable since the pressure on the noggins is really well distributed although clamping force is a tad top high, perhaps it's because I'm used to akg's light side clamping force

Bands can always be stretched. What did it sound like, tho.

Bands can always be stretched. What did it sound like, tho.

I tried it with the alpha pads (i think that's the name) with some cavalli audio tube amp.

It sounded... weird. The mid doesnt blend in with the bass, feels hollow. Which is strange because the headphone is really loved to be a high end killer while having > $1000 price tag

Could be because of the amp (being tube and all) or because of the pads