AKG K612 or Sennheiser HD598

ze_general

So I have narrowed my choices down to theses 2 headphones. So I have 2 questions. Are the K612 better then the HD598? I've head the HD598 are loose and don't have much bass. While the K612 are cheaper then the HD598, if I went for the K612 I would have to get a amp(fiio E10k) which would put the total at $204 compared to the $150 of the HD598, so are the K612 worth spending the extra $50?

HD598 = more spacious, brighter and more refined version of HD558 with a little less punchy and more airy bass.

So if you want more bass, save money and get 558's.. Have a pair myself and am sooo happy with them... must have tried about 50 pairs before I got them as they were my fave sound and actually one of the cheaper models I looked at... Also I think they lok better than the 598's.. (not a fan of the beige and brown)

Pitty you weren't looking a weekk or so ago.. the AKKG 7XX were $200 on massdrop :(

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

HD598 = more spacious, brighter and more refined version of HD558 with a little less punchy and more airy bass.

So if you want more bass, save money and get 558's.. Have a pair myself and am sooo happy with them... must have tried about 50 pairs before I got them as they were my fave sound and actually one of the cheaper models I looked at... Also I think they lok better than the 598's.. (not a fan of the beige and brown)

Pitty you weren't looking a weekk or so ago.. the AKKG 7XX were $200 on massdrop :(

I like the look of the HD598 but I guess it's a love or hate it color scheme. I've been looking for about 2 weeks now but I won't actually be able to get them until my birthday. So the K7xx were not an option unfortunately.

I like the look of the HD598 but I guess it's a love or hate it color scheme. I've been looking for about 2 weeks now but I won't actually be able to get them until my birthday. So the K7xx were not an option unfortunately.

Welp, there could be an argument why looks shouldn't matter. But thats almost how much I had a love-hate thing with Noctua's poop brown and vomit tan color scheme. If I'm gonna pay for something, can it atleast be black? Or atleast have the least amount of brown on it?

But yeah, my vote would be the 598. But the K612s are something to consider heavily IMHO.

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

Welp, there could be an argument why looks shouldn't matter. But thats almost how much I had a love-hate thing with Noctua's poop brown and vomit tan color scheme. If I'm gonna pay for something, can it atleast be black? Or atleast have the least amount of brown on it?

But yeah, my vote would be the 598. But the K612s are something to consider heavily IMHO.

Yeah, Noctua fans definitely don't fit many color schemes. But thanks for the suggestion. 

You can get used K7xx in headfi, most of them are still good

When you say K7xx are you talking the massdrop exclusive or K701, K702....

The 558 and 598 are identical, except for the midrange which is more forward on the 558 I believe. Don't know where people are getting weird ideas about bass "punch" and other subjective blarney.

I'd say the K612 is superior in terms of bass quality and extension, but is somewhat brighter and may require an amp in some cases - BUT! not all cases. I would get it and try first and not get an amp all at once.

When you say K7xx are you talking the massdrop exclusive or K701, K702....

massdrop

The 558 and 598 are identical, except for the midrange which is more forward on the 558 I believe. Don't know where people are getting weird ideas about bass "punch" and other subjective blarney.

I'd say the K612 is superior in terms of bass quality and extension, but is somewhat brighter and may require an amp in some cases - BUT! not all cases. I would get it and try first and not get an amp all at once.

massdrop

So the K612 would definitely be the way to go? Also @xtroria said I could find the K7XX on head-f(I'm guessing under the buy sell section), but i can't find a single person selling them.

So the K612 would definitely be the way to go? Also @xtroria said I could find the K7XX on head-f(I'm guessing under the buy sell section), but i can't find a single person selling them.

I'd say so. The only other difference of note is that the K612 doesn't have a removable cable like the HD558. I believe the K7XX does, though, if you can find one.

K612 is a great headphone. It doesn't NEED an amp, but yes I do recommend one. If you have a bigger than normal head, the AKG will be the more comfortable option. Sennheiser headbands are designed to fit snug on the average head, so they don't stretch easily to accommodate various sizes.

If you perform the foam mod on the 558 it sounds the same as a 598. If you're looking to spend less money, this is a good option. Plus they don't look funky.

I'd say so. The only other difference of note is that the K612 doesn't have a removable cable like the HD558. I believe the K7XX does, though, if you can find one.

The removable cable was my one concern however the headphones are for home use only and I tend to take good care of my stuff so I would hope they'll be okay.

K612 is a great headphone. It doesn't NEED an amp, but yes I do recommend one. If you have a bigger than normal head, the AKG will be the more comfortable option. Sennheiser headbands are designed to fit snug on the average head, so they don't stretch easily to accommodate various sizes.

If you perform the foam mod on the 558 it sounds the same as a 598. If you're looking to spend less money, this is a good option. Plus they don't look funky.

IDK, I kind of like the look of the 598. But I guess its a love hate thing for that color scheme.

I found a DT880 for $200 and $215 K7xx in /r/avexchange. Personally I'd recommend you to get either one of them