Simplest way to set up a home media server

Josysclei

So, at home we have a PS4, two desktops and one notebook. I'm planning on setting up a hard drive on one of the desktops to me our media center. What is the simplest way to give access to it on every other device? Connecting everything to the same network and sharing the HDD folder will do? A simple router can do it? Don't need crazy speeds, only enough to stream 1080p videos.

just sharing the folder, and perhaps applying voodoo magic to the security settings so no login is required (possible, but difficult and not very secure)

So, at home we have a PS4, two desktops and one notebook. I'm planning on setting up a hard drive on one of the desktops to me our media center. What is the simplest way to give access to it on every other device? Connecting everything to the same network and sharing the HDD folder will do? A simple router can do it? Don't need crazy speeds, only enough to stream 1080p videos.

Install Plex on the system with the files. Follow the plex tutorials, and install the plex app on the devices you want to use. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Plex is crap.

Easiest way to share:

1. Properties>Share>turn on sharing

2. Go to other device>browse to IP>open files

I repeat, Plex and DLNA are crap.

I installed kodibuntu, just boot into the lubuntu base and share the folder you want with the network I shared them with everyone that has the password to the computer :)

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Plex is crap.

Easiest way to share:

Saying they're craps doesn't help. At least explain why they're crap.

CPU: Core i7 4770K @ 3.5GHz Motherboard: ASUS Z87-EXPERT RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600 MHz GPU(s): EVGA GTX 980 Classified SLI Case: Coolermaster HAF X Storage: Samsung 256 GB 840 Pro, 2x2TB WD Caviar Black, 2x4TB WD Green PSU: Corsair AX860 860W Display: LG 31MU97-B 4K(4096x2160) and Dell S2716DG 27in 2K 1440p 144hz, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard: Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Blue switches Mouse: Razer Naga Epic Chroma and Death Adder Chroma Sound:Audioengine D1 Dac and Sennheiser HD650 Operating System: Win 10 Pro

Plex is crap.

Easiest way to share:

You obviously aren't using it correctly.

How's that going to help with transcoding anyways?

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications