Asus starts industry's first fully-automated graphics card production

Bouzoo

I don't think that you know what a realist is. You ignore factors such as location, culture, upbringing, education, and race, just to name a few. Being a white male American in Ohio, you're not in a position to say anything about the Chinese people most affected by this. Hell, I don't even know what your definition of "poor" was in regards to your family.

There's nothing easy about it. It takes a lot of time and a lot of effort, and some people simply can't get there without a lot of help. Besides that, the number of higher jobs is very finite. Ever if everyone has the potential, not everyone can get there under any circumstance.

Poor enough to live out of a car and eat 1 meal a day. You can change location much easier than you'd think. There are charities which will help you relocate if you're too poor to move to a new job on your own. Almost no one in the U.S. is lacking of the resources needed to better him/herself. Have you ever heard Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs) go on about how there's a ton of skilled blue collar jobs sitting open with no one coming to fill them? The U.S. does not lack job or education opportunity. It seems to only lack a resourceful citizenry.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I've got what appears to be one of the few GTX 970 G1 Gaming that requires a -50MHz underclock to actual run at factory speeds, and +50mv on the core to stop the display driver from crashing.

RMA it...

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Reminds me of how people say to stay away from the ACX coolers on 970s and they don't realize the 2.0 version is here to fix that extra heatpipe doing nothing and the coil whine problem... Even though with that heatpipe hitting the core now it's only like a 1C difference. Must say my FTW+ doesn't have coil whine, but loud af after 55% fan speed. And my friends, either SSC or SC, ACX 2.0 cooler does just fine as well without coil whine.

Personally, I really am not impressed with the ACX 2.0.  It's loud, doesn't keep my card cool enough and the card also has pretty bad coil whine.  Wish I had bought a second Strix instead.

Wait, this wasn't already a thing? I just figured that since you can pump out way more GPU's for cheaper everyone would be doing this. I mean, you have a PCB of a known size in a known orientation. A robot arm picks up capacitors and whatnot and just moves them over to an absolute position and plonks them down (maybe applying a bit of heat in the process). I trust that for some reason this hasn't been done before, but WHY!? Isn't this kind of an obvious cost-cutting step?

It's only cost cutting after it's operational for 20 years.

It's very expensive to develop and maintain completely automated systems.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Poor enough to live out of a car and eat 1 meal a day. You can change location much easier than you'd think. There are charities which will help you relocate if you're too poor to move to a new job on your own. Almost no one in the U.S. is lacking of the resources needed to better him/herself. Have you ever heard Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs) go on about how there's a ton of skilled blue collar jobs sitting open with no one coming to fill them? The U.S. does not lack job or education opportunity. It seems to only lack a resourceful citizenry.

You're still extrapolating your experiences to everyone else without having enough insight to properly do so. I guess that I can't really expect any better though.

Wait, this wasn't already a thing? I just figured that since you can pump out way more GPU's for cheaper everyone would be doing this. I mean, you have a PCB of a known size in a known orientation. A robot arm picks up capacitors and whatnot and just moves them over to an absolute position and plonks them down (maybe applying a bit of heat in the process). I trust that for some reason this hasn't been done before, but WHY!? Isn't this kind of an obvious cost-cutting step?

I also thought the level of automation depicted was normal for products like video cards. Placing and soldering surface-mount components sounds like a job more suitable for a robot than a human.

This isn't true for every manufacturing job. Some product designs just aren't suitable for robotic assembly, since the process requires too much human sensing, judgment and correction. Also, automated production doesn't make sense if you don't have enough demand to fully occupy the production line.

RMA it...

Already tried that-I just couldn't be bothered any more, just as long as it performs better than my GTX 650 ti. And at the end of the day it should still be a good LN2 card in a few years due to its extremely bad ASIC score.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Although I applaud the technology, it's scary.

My first thought when reading this was unemployment, which enough countries struggle with already.

Economics say these jobs will be replaced by other new jobs in new areas.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

It's not a half-baked idea, and I spent quite a few days working with raw logic to reach that conclusion.

And no, we do not have the capacity to grow enough plants to feed the entire population of the world in a health manner, much less feed it and the livestock required for protein. There are much more powerful statistical studies which show the Earth is overpopulated by 2 billion persons for the level of agricultural technology and production possible at this time. We're 3 billion overpopulated for the capacity we actually have, even if every fat/obese person suddenly went on a fully healthy diet. There are several hypotheses about why disease incidence is rising beyond rates expected by population density and why homosexuality is also growing in incidence. Nature is finding ways to stop the human population from growing to the point of extinction.

Horse shit.  You really do know how to pile it on.

And as for YOUR logic, i doubt it.  And you should not want to take credit for it anyway, since it is full of errors.  

Already tried that-I just couldn't be bothered any more, just as long as it performs better than my GTX 650 ti. And at the end of the day it should still be a good LN2 card in a few years due to its extremely bad ASIC score.

What do you mean already tried?

The card is faulty if it can't hit the stock clocks it's supposed to.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

What do you mean already tried?

The card is faulty if it can't hit the stock clocks it's supposed to.

5 RMA's, the 5th one got me my original and 'refurbished' GTX 970 back. I've just given up (a 127MHz underclock isn't too frustrating) and decided to not bother with Gigabyte the next time I want a new graphics card.

PMSL

5 RMA's, the 5th one got me my original and 'refurbished' GTX 970 back. I've just given up (a 127MHz underclock isn't too frustrating) and decided to not bother with Gigabyte the next time I want a new graphics card.

Surely you can't be that unlucky, have you tried using a different PSU?

The rails could be delivering bad voltages, causing unstability in the GPU.  I've actually had problems with GPU's a long time ago, turns out it was my PSU.

Surely you can't be that unlucky, have you tried using a different PSU?

The rails could be delivering bad voltages, causing unstability in the GPU.  I've actually had problems with GPU's a long time ago, turns out it was my PSU.

A VS650 to a CX 850M made no difference-the PSU aren't at fault-and the RMA cards all looked like they'd been returned anyway (I noticed dust in all of them except the first RMA card). Anyway I'm over it and still playing games max settings 60fps 1080p.

PMSL

So this means Asus is going to pass on the savings, right? Without those pesky employee wages, Asus is saving a ton on production costs, they could easily drop the price of their GPUs by about $50 each. This is such a great thing, because Asus totally wouldn't use this as an excuse to charge us more for the same products that they are paying less to manufacture, right? Asus totally wouldn't try to cover up simultaneously screwing over hundreds of workers and their entire consumer base with a publicity stunt, right? That would just be crazy talk. I'm sure glad Asus is our friend and not trying to fish more money out of my wallet!  :unsure:

You do realize those automated robots cost something right? perhaps like all employees wages for like 20  years in total (since those are chinese workers, and who know how much they earn.  maybe 55 grains of rice ( :) ) ).   they are saving in a long run however, but don't expect to have lower prices on graphics card.  Why? they payed prop.  10-12 milion dolars for one robotic arm, now imagine how  much of those there are.   basically it's a big investment which must return back into company. In next 15 years there wont be any significant price drops . (it will be like usually)

You do realize those automated robots cost something right? perhaps like all employees wages for like 20  years in total (since those are chinese workers, and who know how much they earn.  maybe 55 grains of rice ( :) ) ).   they are saving in a long run however, but don't expect to have lower prices on graphics card.  Why? they payed prop.  10-12 milion dolars for one robotic arm, now imagine how  much of those there are.   basically it's a big investment which must return back into company. In next 15 years there wont be any significant price drops . (it will be like usually)

In what universe does an assembly line robotic arm cost 10-12 million dollars? 2 minutes on google turned this up: http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/RB08-6-axis-industrial-electric-robotic_60059309977.html The price you're looking for is in the thousands, not millions. Even if it does take time for the robots to earn back their initial cost, it doesn't change the fact that we're going to be WAY over charged for the same product. Asus is lowering the over-all manufacturing cost and using the publicity of a fully robotic facility to charge us higher prices. No matter how you look at it Asus as a company gets a win and consumers, especially those whose jobs have just been replaced, are losing.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

In what universe does an assembly line robotic arm cost 10-12 million dollars? 2 minutes on google turned this up: http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/RB08-6-axis-industrial-electric-robotic_60059309977.html The price you're looking for is in the thousands, not millions. Even if it does take time for the robots to earn back their initial cost, it doesn't change the fact that we're going to be WAY over charged for the same product. Asus is lowering the over-all manufacturing cost and using the publicity of a fully robotic facility to charge us higher prices. No matter how you look at it Asus as a company gets a win and consumers, especially those whose jobs have just been replaced, are losing.

however you might be right, i ams till pretty sure because of industrial policies e.t.c.  one can cost at least 05. milion dolars.   

And sorry for the 10 -12 dolars, i was still counting around in my old national currency.  

You're still extrapolating your experiences to everyone else without having enough insight to properly do so. I guess that I can't really expect any better though.

There aren't too many places worse than the poor districts of Newark, NJ. Also, where's the proof the poor have it tough? Where's the evidence of lack of opportunity? No matter where you go, there's a charitable hand open somewhere nearby willing to give up a hand up.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Horse shit. You really do know how to pile it on.

And as for YOUR logic, i doubt it. And you should not want to take credit for it anyway, since it is full of errors.

Where are the errors? If I'm wrong, prove it. I presented you a paradox you say is false. Prove it.

If you work in a menial labor scenario and end up jobless through automation, that is your fault. You should always be looking for new skills and value to bring to your company or to another of conditions become intolerable. Not doing this is a failure to invest in oneself.

Yes, because college graduates nowadays are having an easy time finding work. /s

And, it's inexpensive to get trained in a new skillset. It also takes only a week, so the rest of your life taking care of kids and other duties won't be impacted much! /s

Also, your unemployment assistance now covers more than just the necessities! /s

It's very easy to say that it's someone's fault because they were automated out of a job, it's a great way to preserve the status quo. Certainly some people find ways to differentiate themselves, and some don't have the mental drive to bother, but most people believe in working hard and still won't be able to do so. The reality is far more complex.

Have you ever heard Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs) go on about how there's a ton of skilled blue collar jobs sitting open with no one coming to fill them? The U.S. does not lack job or education opportunity. It seems to only lack a resourceful citizenry.

This is true, and partially a result of many people believing that working in heavy machinery is always a low-paying, unskilled job (far from the truth). That's another issue that'll need to be addressed.

Heavy machinery is also experiencing it's own push towards automation, though. Look at what Caterpillar is doing in Western Australia.

Economics say these jobs will be replaced by other new jobs in new areas.

Economic models developed by the equivalent of college first years say that.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Yes, because college graduates nowadays are having an easy time finding work. /s

And, it's inexpensive to get trained in a new skillset. It also takes only a week, so the rest of your life taking care of kids and other duties won't be impacted much! /s

Also, your unemployment assistance now covers more than just the necessities! /s

It's very easy to say that it's someone's fault because they were automated out of a job, it's a great way to preserve the status quo. Certainly some people find ways to differentiate themselves, and some don't have the mental drive to bother, but most people believe in working hard and still won't be able to do so. The reality is far more complex.

Graduates who were smart and went into a STEM major do. If you were less intelligent about your field of study, that's no reason for me to bat an eye.

Between Coursera, Khan Academy, iTunes U, and Lynda.com, yeah, it is cheap if not free. If you have kids, you have to teach them respect for when mom & dad are working for a better future. That may not mitigate having a baby or when the kids get really sick, but that's another fundamental part of the problem. U.S. kids generally have no respect for their elders. It's not instilled at a young age as it should be. Also, if only one parent is working, the other should be taking full responsibility of the kids as much as possible. That's what it means to be a family. You make sacrifices of your wants to ensure all needs are met.

It covers quite a lot if you don't spend your money stupidly. I can make $20 buy meals for a week. It may be the same meal, but it's nutritious and delicious. 1 pot, $20-25, and I can feed myself for a week. Where the hell is the rest of the money going? Bills, clothes (if you have kids I understand this is harder, but that is what Good Will, The Salvation Army, and other charities are for. That money should be used to maximum effect to better oneself in employment. $30,000 a year is easily a living wage. It's Spartan living, but it is living for the resourceful. Between all the benefits of unemployment, you get a living wage and some breathing room. You may have to rent instead of mortgage a home. You may have to take up in a homeless shelter for a while, but you should be putting your money to maximum use and effect. Life is hard, and you have to work at it. The poor are handed quite a lot in this country, far beyond most of the world. The system is not built to keep you in. It's built to let you stay if you choose to.

Not being able to? BS. They may have failed to, but that does not make them unable to. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

There aren't too many places worse than the poor districts of Newark, NJ. Also, where's the proof the poor have it tough? Where's the evidence of lack of opportunity? No matter where you go, there's a charitable hand open somewhere nearby willing to give up a hand up.

I decided not to respond to any of this posts but this one. God don't you live in a perfect world where everyone has the same chancey and if you work hard you can have anything you need. A proof that the poor have it tough? Come over here and you'll see. Here the unemployment rate is rising for I don't know how long. Iirc now it's at 350k (and we have around 4.5M people in Croatia). I know a lot of people that can't find a job, old or people from universities, doesn't matter, no matter how hard they try. And please don't tell me that they don't try hard enough. It's far more complicated.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Graduates who were smart and went into a STEM major do. If you were less intelligent about your field of study, that's no reason for me to bat an eye.

Agreed, engineers and the like are in demand right now. Fortunately, I was able to go to a good school with a good engineering program and got to do what I wanted.

Saying that someone is less intelligent because social work or teaching was what they wanted to do, and not a STEM field, is really oversimplified. Not everyone wants to work in a STEM field. They'll pursue their ambitions. As long as they have a defined career goal and a plan to get there, there's nothing wrong with that.

I think everyone would agree that someone, in a STEM major or not, with no idea where they want to end up, nor a plan laid out for achieving that goal, is doing something wrong. That includes many bright engineers. Stating that everyone who doesn't plan to go into a STEM field is no better than that person is also wrong.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I decided not to respond to any of this posts but this one. God don't you live in a perfect world where everyone has the same chancey and if you work hard you can have anything you need. A proof that the poor have it tough? Come over here and you'll see. Here the unemployment rate is rising for I don't know how long. Iirc now it's at 350k (and we have around 4.5M people in Croatia). I know a lot of people that can't find a job, old or people from universities, doesn't matter, no matter how hard they try. And please don't tell me that they don't try hard enough. It's far more complicated.

There comes a point you either move or make your own job. It's survival of the fittest for a reason. Trying the same things over and over again expecting different results is the definition of madness. Socialism is useful only in the smallest quantities. It's economically crushing in the long run. The only way for Europe to turn around their economic issues is to follow Germany and Switzerland. Capitalism, lower taxes on business, no government deals with business, and strong, enforceable, but fair regulation that allows businesses to flourish while restricting the harm potential to vulnerable citizens.

This is why loyalty to a country is moronic in principle. If your country and countrymen fail you, why bother with them? Pack up,  move on, and let them rot or get their acts together. Nothing anyone does should deter you from pursuing your life to its fullest potential. And as I said, there are plenty of charitable organizations throughout the civilized world who will help you move to a place with more jobs.

You don't live under a military driven dictatorship like many villages in Africa. You live in a 1st world country surrounded by wealth you only need intelligence to seize.

Agreed, engineers and the like are in demand right now. Fortunately, I was able to go to a good school with a good engineering program and got to do what I wanted.

Saying that someone is less intelligent because social work or teaching was what they wanted to do, and not a STEM field, is really oversimplified. Not everyone wants to work in a STEM field. They'll pursue their ambitions. As long as they have a defined career goal and a plan to get there, there's nothing wrong with that.

I think everyone would agree that a Film and Media Studies major with no idea where they want to end up, nor a plan laid out for achieving that goal, is doing something wrong. Stating that everyone who doesn't plan to go into a STEM field is no better than that person is also wrong.

Do not twist my words. You make your bed, you sleep in it. If you want to do social work or education, get a more professional degree and get a related job in higher demand until the market is more favorable for what you want to do exactly. I'm very much considering education as semi-retirement after I work myself to the edge of insanity as a developer for one or several firms. I still intelligently chose the private sector and higher industry to make enough money to live comfortably before pursuing a career which is in low demand and low respect right now.

Every decision in life needs to be carefully thought out as best as it can be. You are not less intelligent to pursue the work you love, but you are less intelligent if you don't position yourself to be more flexible early on in pursuit of that end goal. And perhaps you made a single bad decision. You can still do many things to fix that bad decision.

Perhaps the difference comes in our definition of "difficult." It's not easy to move up in life. It's always going to take years of hard work unless someone in a high place literally hands it to you. You said that your family got out of poverty... Tell me, does that mean that you did it? Personally? It sounds like that's not actually the case.

Perhaps the difference comes in our definition of "difficult." It's not easy to move up in life. It's always going to take years of hard work unless someone in a high place literally hands it to you. You said that your family got out of poverty... Tell me, does that mean that you did it? Personally? It sounds like that's not actually the case.

I worked under the table to help my parents and worked my ass off in school to get a full ride through college to ensure my family wasn't cash-strapped for my younger brother. I positioned myself to never enter poverty, and I did my part to help my family get out and stay out. Once again, the difference between elitism and being elite is actually being elite, actually doing the work, actually having the skill to have authority to say "it's not that hard." I may come across as judgmental, but I know that life and I know what it takes to get out of it. It's not impossible, it's not so arduous as it's made out to be, and the vast majority of the people complaining don't deserve to. The U.S. could slash 90% off the unemployment lines and put more resources toward those who truly need to be served due to disability, disease, old age, and other truly awful circumstances. The able-bodies can fight for their lot in life like the rest of us.

If you made your bed, you sleep in it. Don't come crying to us with your tales of woe asking for a handout. Ask for work, for help getting to work, and most people would be happy to lend a hand. Asking for more money and resources is just insulting. The poor who truly take advantage of the system (and there are tens of thousands in every city which do) do not live a hard life unless they get tangled in crime, crime brought on by their own corruption in the first place and lack of self and community respect. For most, I can say without batting an eye that the problem is them, not the system. For those truly unfortunate and truly cursed with horrible circumstances, my sympathies. I donate time and money to soup kitchens, and I can see the difference in the eyes between those working for a better future and those sitting on their butts. I have seen and been on both sides of that counter. The world is full of charity already. It doesn't need more where the poor are concerned but a few edge cases, edge cases blurred out by the clamoring of the entitled.