Sennheiser HD800/Beyerdynamic T1

Hi i want to buy a new headphone for my pc,but im choosing between the Sennheiser HD800 and the Beyerdynamic T1.

My current setup is a Sennheiser pc360 headset with a Asus essence stx II soundcard.I use my headphone for 60% gaming and 40% youtube/music (mainly electronic music).Now im wondering if the HD800/T1 is overkill cause i would just use them for gaming mainly. Would i be better off with something else or prehaps something cheaper?Anyone has some experience in this?

Thank you.

I would kinda vote for neither one unless you have a proper DAC and AMP setup. A Fulla Schiit (search it up... I promise its legit) is a really good entry level DAC+AMP combo that supports up to 300 ohm's of impedence for under a hundred. However, I'd recommend you to get a Phillips Fidelio X2 or AKG's K712 (The 712 beats out the X2 in gaming by a slight margin if you're into sound whoring, but the overall audio quality... hands down to the X2)

Why? The HD800's trebble starts to suck at 6khz (which does affect the overall listening experience to a degree... unnacceptable for a pair of headphones that costs $1500), the Beyerdynamic T1 isn't as neutral as the HD800 and is harder to drive, and headphones from the $300-$1000 price bracket would be a better investment.

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

Probably not a good idea to spend that much without ever trying those headphones first. If you're thinking about those two headphones, I'm going to assume you like that sort of sound signature in general. Cheaper options could be something like Ad700x or Q701.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Agree with wizzie, other options to try would be the DT880, again if that is a particular sound signature that you're going for.

If you're going to listen to electronic music, I would steer clear of the HD800. They have some pretty crazy treble, that might not sit too well with some of the funky synth you can get in electronic music. The other thing is that electronic music is generally not too great of quality (mastering-wise) so you likely won't see as big a difference as you would with some very well mastered music. If you want something that can kick in the low end, you might be happy with a hifiman HE-500 and the Schiit Magni/Modi stack. That's about $700, or half of what you would be paying for the HD800 alone. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

For electronic music, I'd recommend LCD-2F or LCD-X. I only listened to LCD-2 and DEM BASS

But honestly if you aren't extremely serious about your music, you could grab fidelio x2 or HD650 and you'll be more than happy with it. HD800 will be bass shy for electronic music

Do not spend more than 4 or 5 hundred bucks until you know what you're buying without having to ask people on the internet.

Do not spend more than 4 or 5 hundred bucks until you know what you're buying without having to ask people on the internet.

That's.... Well, it's a rather good point. I may have to write that down or make a desktop wallpaper with it.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

That's.... Well, it's a rather good point. I may have to write that down or make a desktop wallpaper with it.

Still good to get other people's option at that point, but without prior insight/knowledge it's like buying a really expensive wine having never had a drop of alcohol before. :)

Still good to get other people's option at that point, but without prior insight/knowledge it's like buying a really expensive wine having never had a drop of alcohol before. :)

it's funny that you say that, because I don't drink, so I could totally see myself doing that... (although the wine thing makes more sense if it's for an event like a wedding or something, where people might be around who do have experience with such things...)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Yeah i know,im pretty new to the "audio business" :) ,i think the best thing is to go to a hifi shop and listen to a bunch of headphones myself. But would a new dac/amp be a mayor improvement over the essence stx II i have now?I would hate to not use my soundcard anymore since i payed 200$ for it..

Yeah i know,im pretty new to the "audio business" :) ,i think the best thing is to go to a hifi shop and listen to a bunch of headphones myself. But would a new dac/amp be a mayor improvement over the essence stx II i have now?I would hate to not use my soundcard anymore since i payed 200$ for it..

for a sound card, basically unless you need it for the ports, it's only going to be as good, if not worse than your on-board audio.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I don't advise buying expensive equipment either, and wouldn't have recommended the soundcard in the first place. A new source might have lower noise floor, but if you already don't notice it then there's no point. Physical volume knobs are nice, but you could get a passive one if desired.

Have used both. Don't buy either, huge waste of money for mostly gaming use and for electronic music.