Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO, AKG K612 PRO, AKG K701, or ATH-AD900X

So, my friend is looking for a pair of headphones for his pc to replace his headset. He's not looking for a whole headset unit becasue i reckon he's looking for a good set of cans. 

He wants to know out of these four that he has selected, which of them in your opinion (through testing or pure preference) will make a good pair of headphones for gaming and music listening. Zalman ZMMIC1 Lapel Microphone will be used with the headset. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT990-PRO-Headset-250/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1432913511&sr=8-4

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221661489899?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221669394238?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321686019187?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I have a DT 990 Pro, I like it.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Beyerdynamic gets my vote, heard that they're good. My brother has the DT770 PRO and they sound absolutely amazing, it's hooked up to an  ASUS Xonar Essence STX.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Beyerdynamic gets my vote, heard that they're good. My brother has the DT770 PRO and they sound absolutely amazing, it's hooked up to an  ASUS Xonar Essence STX.

I have a DT 990 Pro, I like it.

DT990 the thing to go for. Any idea on how the others compare? for comparison?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

DT990 the thing to go for. Any idea on how the others compare? for comparison?

Never tried any of the other options, but from personal experience can't go wrong with the DT 990's.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

The 990 has very strong treble (and bass for that matter) and is ear fatiguing to some.  If you're wanting a very colorful and very fun headphone to listen to, then it should be of consideration. 

Definitely not the headphone for neutral, reference sound.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I highly recommend the AKG K7XX Massdrop Limited Edition Headphones their my favorite pair of headphones at the moment out of my collection of uhh 8 headphones I think... 

You've got 2 days left to nab em on massdrop. 

The DT990 is a bit too bright for some people, and may cause fatigue in long music listening sessions, I do like them however(don't own a pair but I've gave em a go before).

The ATH-AD900X is a well known pair of open-backs, heard many great things about them but I've never had the pleasure of trying them. 

Can't speak for the AKG  K612 Pro's but I do know the AKG701 is very similar to my AKG K7XX's however the K7XX are more comfortable and has a improved low end performance bump. I swear the AKG K7XX's have got to be hands down the most comfortable pair of headphones I've owned, their like two pillows sitting on your head.... I barely notice them on even on long listening sessions.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I highly recommend the AKG K7XX Massdrop Limited Edition Headphones their my favorite pair of headphones at the moment out of my collection of uhh 8 headphones I think... 

You've got 2 days left to nab em on massdrop. 

The DT990 is a bit too bright for some people, and may cause fatigue in long music listening sessions, I do like them however(don't own a pair but I've gave em a go before).

The ATH-AD900X is a well known pair of open-backs, heard many great things about them but I've never had the pleasure of trying them. 

Can't speak for the AKG  K612 Pro's but I do know the AKG701 is very similar to my AKG K7XX's however the K7XX are more comfortable and has a improved low end performance bump. I swear the AKG K7XX's have got to be hands down the most comfortable pair of headphones I've owned, their like two pillows sitting on your head.... I barely notice them on even on long listening sessions.

The K7XX are out of his budget. Around £120 is preferred. The K7XX are £130 and that's not even counting the shipping and handling. I think he is leaning towards the AD900X becasue they look pretty cool and if paper spec is anything they look near identical to the DT990s

The K7XX are out of his budget. Around £120 is preferred. The K7XX are £130 and that's not even counting the shipping and handling. I think he is leaning towards the AD900X becasue they look pretty cool and if paper spec is anything they look near identical to the DT990s

Here's the comparison chart.

Do note the ATH-AD900 is the one being compared, it was replaced by ATH-AD900x. 

b5eb003685c6753d7c9887293fbe5733.png

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

The 990 has very strong treble (and bass for that matter) and is ear fatiguing to some.  If you're wanting a very colorful and very fun headphone to listen to, then it should be of consideration. 

Definitely not the headphone for neutral, reference sound.

Well, I personally have never been fatigued by them, but bass and treble is what you want in gaming anyway so I think it's a good fit.

They're all good - I don't understand the question.

We should probably ask his friend what types of music genres he usually listens to...

We should probably ask his friend what types of music genres he usually listens to...

I don't believe specific genres require specific frequency responses. That's just another excuse people make up to ignore personal preference.

I don't believe specific genres require specific frequency responses. That's just another excuse people make up to ignore personal preference.

I don't think certain genres require specific frequencies. Headphones that add different color to sound certainly do change how user perceives the music though, maybe his friend likes music with a heavy low end, sub-bass clarity?

EDIT: Basically what I'm trying to say is, maybe he likes his sound sig colored a certain way. Isn't that the main reason why you'd as what genre of music said person listens to so you can get somewhat of a idea what type of sound sig you think he may like? Help with pointing out what said pair of headphones sound like when put to the test with similar music.

Isn't that the main reason why you'd as what genre of music said person listens to so you can get somewhat of a idea what type of sound sig you think he may like?

No, I don't think people pick genres based off what FR's they like either. You can get bass from classical music, or treble from rap music, or mids from dubstep, if so desired.

No, I don't think people pick genres based off what FR's they like either. You can get bass from classical music, or treble from rap music, or mids from dubstep, if so desired.

Classical music has no bass.

I don't think I'm getting across to you here. 

Regardless I'll stand back as I'm not as well versed in the audio world as veterans like you... 

Welp, having tried the Fidelio X2, that is probably the best candidate for what your friend is looking for.

If I didn't live in a noisy neighborhood, and didn't have to pay for someone's surgery at my reluctant consent, I'd personally stick with a Sennheiser HD 800 or the HD 600 (the 600 is actually much more neutral compared to the HD 800, yes the six hundred is more neutral than the eight hundred... only when you go passed 6 khz since thats when the HD 800's treble starts to suck slightly more than the HD 600 that its not neutral anymore), or if I had a tight budget, I'd go with the Philips Fidelio X2 (reminds me ALOT of how the HD 600) since its that good. 

As much as I have a fair lot of bias for Sennheiser, mostly on their open backs, and having owned their HD 800s (just because I owned one, it doesn't mean I'm an audio expert ot a full-fledged/true audiophile. I just like neutral sounding headphones, so I bought an HD 800), the Fidelio X2 is the best performer for the price. It beats out the AKG K712, K612, and some other open-back headphones even at higher price ranges that its almost fair to compare the Fidelio X2 to the HD 600, 650, or 700.

-words-

Way out of budget.

He told me he has settled on the AD900x. 

Thanks for suggestions anyway.