Talk me out of it.

joelthezombie15

So im about to get like $400 or so and i am SOO tempted to get a oculus rift dev kit. I cant see a reason not too but man do i want one. 

Should i get one? 

If not, tell me why i shouldnt get one.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Don't get one man, you will be kicking yourself in the hinny when the consumer one come out

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/34-linus-tech-tips-for-charity/

Much better things to throw money at

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

wait. spend that money on upgrading your pc while waiting for the full consumer model to come out.

If you have money to burn,go for it.

i don't think that is helping :P

lol,did you delete the status update?

though as I said,and as was re-iterated by everyone else,the hardware isn't yet finalized,nor are the aesthetics of it,nor the compatibility.

buying it to play games in 2D at 7fps on your pc seems like a bad idea.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

You can get some nice ssds with that money instead :)

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It's completely useless if you're not developing anything for it. It would be a complete waste of money. There isn't even anything you can use it for properly yet and the consumer version will be worlds better, and this is a pointless thread, you are just trying to up your post count. How do you even afford it as a 16 year old who's apparently spending like $3000 on a build?

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Ya I was thinking all of this but the idea of having a rift was really cool but ya, i dont think i will do it.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

It's completely useless if you're not developing anything for it. It would be a complete waste of money. There isn't even anything you can use it for properly yet and the consumer version will be worlds better, and this is a pointless thread, you are just trying to up your post count. How do you even afford it as a 16 year old who's apparently spending like $3000 on a build?

Pretty much my thoughts..