I have an open source project that I have to do for class. Due in about 10 weeks so I have time and budget for something pretty cool.

cab11150904

I am basically farming ideas.  I don't want anyone to do it or me but I figure why not let the community throw some ideas my way and then track my progress and share the result.  Things are more fun when people watch. The assignment is pretty open ended.  There are no real guidelines as long as the teacher approves the concept of the project and it tangibly displays the uses of open source software or dare I say hardware.

EDIT: Ok it seems that I am being misunderstood.  I am not writing an open source program.  It's not a programming class.  More of an open source survey class.  I am to use available open source resources to do cool stuff.  I am not making my own and even if I had the desire I do not know how to program and would never have anything useful within 12 weeks.

Open source video game.

Do it.

Report back.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Open source good video editor.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

-snip-

Video game is good... but to generic...

What about.. a.. urmmm... an encryption program so you can put passwords on things/folders (easily)? 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Hardware or software?

Open source hardware? What is that?!

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Open source hardware? What is that?!

I'm guessing that it'd be hardware that you design but license the designs for as open source.

Sig under construction.

Build an AMD rig

Run Linux

???

Profit

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

make a linux box with all the needs for a home server:

- runs linux (opensource) might as well even try arch if you have the time

- samba file sharing (the linux SMB server, opensource)

- web interface, like webmin (opensource)

- mumble server for voice chatting (open source)

- a system for hosting private game servers (this you can write yourself, its not much work, i could even toss you some of my files)

- have the system automaticly fold at times where system usage is naturally low (i'm sure your teacher will appreciate this idea)

- daily backups to a backup hard drive.

- etc..

this will be pretty much a showcase to explain you dont need any proprietary software to make a small home server do all a home user needs.

make a linux box with all the needs for a home server:

- runs linux (opensource) might as well even try arch if you have the time

- samba file sharing (the linux SMB server, opensource)

- web interface, like webmin (opensource)

- mumble server for voice chatting (open source)

- a system for hosting private game servers (this you can write yourself, its not much work, i could even toss you some of my files)

- have the system automaticly fold at times where system usage is naturally low (i'm sure your teacher will appreciate this idea)

- daily backups to a backup hard drive.

- etc..

this will be pretty much a showcase to explain you dont need any proprietary software to make a small home server do all a home user needs.

See you're thinking along the lines I was with the home file server thing.  I think it would be good to demonstrate the flexability of the OS and tools that are available.

See you're thinking along the lines I was with the home file server thing.  I think it would be good to demonstrate the flexability of the OS and tools that are available.

i'll tell you this: for -reasons- both my home servers are windows (windows 7 and windows 8.1) but pretty much all i do on them is in a linux VM, because at this point to me its not the flexibility of a free OS, its that i feel limited when using windows.

windows 10 may be the moment i make my switch to linux on the desktop as well, depending on how the gaming side of things is.

i'll tell you this: for -reasons- both my home servers are windows (windows 7 and windows 8.1) but pretty much all i do on them is in a linux VM, because at this point to me its not the flexibility of a free OS, its that i feel limited when using windows.

windows 10 may be the moment i make my switch to linux on the desktop as well, depending on how the gaming side of things is.

I'm relatively sure Windows will ALWAYS beat Linux at gaming.  Also what are your -reasons-?

I'm relatively sure Windows will ALWAYS beat Linux at gaming.

i've had games run better in wine than on windows before. (that was on a rather shitty system tho)

and it might just not, seeing the way steam is going with their steamboxes, and the general push towards supporting linux lately.

i've had games run better in wine than on windows before. (that was on a rather shitty system tho)

and it might just not, seeing the way steam is going with their steamboxes, and the general push towards supporting linux lately.

I've edited my post to ask what your reasons were for running Windows.

I've edited my post to ask what your reasons were for running Windows.

one system is the main system of my windows workgroup, and the other one simply refuses to install linux (blame acer)