Microsoft cuts the bandwidth required for cloud game streaming by over 80%

I got all excited at first but after reading the article I don't see the point of this.

I like the idea of game streaming because I could have a powerful desktop stream games to really low power devices. But with this I would need a powerful desktop streaming to a medium powerful computer.

i'm pretty sure this tech is aimed more to be used with a server over the internet rather that a high end machine from a local network

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Praise Microsoft

No no, praise Nvidia. I mean Samsung. No wait, AMD. On second though, definitely Apple.

wut r u sum kind of shetpowstur??

i'm pretty sure this tech is aimed more to be used with a server over the internet rather that a high end machine from a local network

My understanding was that it was going to be used to stream games from your xbone to any windows 10 device.

Because you know.......better to force people to buy an xbone and get sub-par performance rather than just make the game for the PC. (not taking mobile devices into account because I don't care about them at all)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

My understanding was that it was going to be used to stream games from your xbone to any windows 10 device.

Because you know.......better to force people to buy an xbone and get sub-par performance rather than just make the game for the PC. (not taking mobile devices into account because I don't care about them at all)

The Xbox One has fuck all to do with this specifically, neither does your disdain for consoles, so stop polluting my news posts and piss off if you're gonna make the same Shitposts about how bad consoles are.

Do us all a favour and keep that garbage where it belongs. I didn't say anything before but your constant off topic horseshit is getting tiresome.

I wish it could be used with the PC instead of the Xbone, as that makes more sense to me. I am just waiting to be able to stream gaming over the internet so I can game at friends houses with my not so powerful laptop. I am actually someone that is interested in the whole Leap Computing cloud gaming, mostly just for the HyperGate.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

this isn't even related to xbone streaming, not at the moment, the concept of this tech is too offload part of the processing required for a game to a server, it would be like connecting a tablet to a titan x over the internet, at most this would align with ms concept of the xbone leveraging the power of the cloud but at the moment they are testing with other hardware and not the console 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Isn't this what Microsoft said it will use for Xbox? Maybe this is how they are going to keep the Xbox relevant? Most games are only 30fps anyway so the HDMI won't be a problem for 4k.

Isn't this what Microsoft said it will use for Xbox? Maybe this is how they are going to keep the Xbox relevant? Most games are only 30fps anyway so the HDMI won't be a problem for 4k.

This is what MS had originally planned in respect to using Azure to handle computational tasks and this tech will go a long way towards making it feasible.

This has NOTHING to do with Xbox to PC streaming or PC to Xbox game streaming. Entirely different applications.

This is what MS had originally planned in respect to using Azure to handle computational tasks and this tech will go a long way towards making it feasible.

This has NOTHING to do with Xbox to PC streaming or PC to Xbox game streaming. Entirely different applications.

BUT CONSOLES ARE LITERALLY HITLER OF THE GAMING INDUSTRY

this isn't even related to xbone streaming, not at the moment, the concept of this tech is too offload part of the processing required for a game to a server, it would be like connecting a tablet to a titan x over the internet, at most this would align with ms concept of the xbone leveraging the power of the cloud but at the moment they are testing with other hardware and not the console 

An interesting concept, but how bad will latency be? and how much will it cost? I don't see MS doing this for free. How would they pay for it?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

An interesting concept, but how bad will latency be? and how much will it cost? I don't see MS doing this for free. How would they pay for it?

no idea, all of this is in the prototype faze

Well, the whole point of reducing the amount of data being sent back and forth is to deal with the latency issue. I'm sure because of this they are also reducing the amount of power required on the cloud as well. I'd like to see some tech that stops the DDoS attacks and such, which hinder servers. Then this could be a lot more reliable. And of course this isn't going to be free...

I don't get it, how does generating some percentage of the image on the local device reduce the bandwidth used for getting the "heavy image" to said local device?

Imagine half the image is being rendered locally.

Then you only need to send half the image through the network, which is significantly less data.

In other news, Microsoft cuts the bandwidth required for cloud gaming by 100% by rendering the game locally on the users gaming PC.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I wasn't talking about the streaming pc to console etc. I was talking about the cloud helping out the Xbox like they said when the one launched which I think is the azure thing.

Now if only this was possible with dGPU, a GTX 650ti doing the 'rough sketch' for example and a GTX 970 providing most of the graphical power....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

BUT CONSOLES ARE LITERALLY HITLER OF THE GAMING INDUSTRY

If the tech ain't for PC gaming, then it is useless and shit.. 

If the tech ain't for PC gaming, then it is useless and shit.. 

The tech that makes PC gaming hardware also makes hardware being used in other devices.

The tech that makes PC gaming hardware also makes hardware being used in other devices.

Nah too much info man.some people cannot comprehend that.

This sounds cool and I've always had this idea, but I've always thought that this would be too difficult for anyone to implement.

Wait a moment, I just got a GeForce experience update with 'improved GameSteam performance' or whatever. Seeing if there's an update for my SHIELD...

Sig under construction.

Did they make a deal with Pied Piper? :D

Cant stand the idea of cloud gaming, but not matter what its happening in next few years replacing traditional.Guess i have to find another hobby.

Cool technology tough.

It doesnt make sense for anything competitive but I wouldnt mind streaming civ5 on my tv for example.

While this is great news people are forgetting about the bigger problem in my opinion and thats latency. While the work seems to be split better than past iterations the server still needs to send the data back to the client so unless Microsoft builds a lot more data centers I dont think we have to worry about this technology replacing gaming as we know it.  it would be nice for people with non gaming laptops and cellphones/tablets who want to play a game where latency isnt much of an issue