Malware that destroys hardware?

Has there ever been a case of a virus designed to somehow damage the hardware on a system, for example if a certain GPU (probably a very old one) was made so that is a certain extreme torture test program was run, it could damage the component.

Obviously there are no recent cases of this happening with video cards but perhaps something like this may have happened recently with something like a printer etc?

All I ever heard of was those USB sticks that basically function like an EMP to your computer.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

Urmm.. I don't think so?! I know there is MinerMalware which will use your systems resources to Mine for Bitcoins without you knowing (untill you see GPU and/or CPU is at %100) - I guess this has the same affect in a way.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Yes, CIH

Also, I'm pretty sure someone could make a piece of malware that overclocks your graphics card like mad until it catches fire or something

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Yes there have been quite a few, most common screw with the drivers

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Yes my friend told me about one that turns off all your fans and overloads your system til it overheats

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Yes, CIH

Also, I'm pretty sure someone could make a piece of malware that overclocks your graphics card like mad until it catches fire or something

thanks just what i was looking for :ph34r:

jk, hopefully this only affects windows 95/98

I worked at a small ISP years ago (Think the era of Dialup).   We had some guys from Russia insert some code that flashed a bad BIOS onto multiple pieces of hardware.   Most were bricked because of it.

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Has there ever been a case of a virus designed to somehow damage the hardware on a system, for example if a certain GPU (probably a very old one) was made so that is a certain extreme torture test program was run, it could damage the component.

Obviously there are no recent cases of this happening with video cards but perhaps something like this may have happened recently with something like a printer etc?

Some malware can destory flash drives.

I know ASUS's AI suite III (not worth it to use IMO) lets you change both the multiplier and, IIRC, the voltage of the CPU without going into the BIOS. Just take that, have it change the voltage to 2.0, and *cue magic blue smoke*.... Fried chip.  :ph34r:

There has to be a reason That something like that doesn't already exist though.

I don't do signatures.

I know ASUS's AI suite III (not worth it to use IMO) lets you change both the multiplier and, IIRC, the voltage of the CPU without going into the BIOS. Just take that, have it change the voltage to 2.0, and *cue magic blue smoke*.... Fried chip.  :ph34r:

There has to be a reason That something like that doesn't already exist though.

Yeah, because it's not profitable. Nowadays malware authors are boring and are only in it for the money and don't make anything interesting.

Yeah, because it's not profitable. Nowadays malware authors are boring and are only in it for the money and don't make anything interesting.

Well I understand that, I was just wondering why something like it wasn't made as a just plain dick move.

I don't do signatures.

Well I understand that, I was just wondering why something like it wasn't made as a just plain dick move.

Because those malware authors don't really exist anymore. There's no real, technical reason for it

You won't see Malware designed to kill hardware simply for the fact that most Malware won't target below Ring 3. As long as it's sitting on the software stack there's not a whole lot that it can do to hardware. It could find a route to overclock and over-volt your hardware and cause it to degrade faster. Although there's no one-click hardware destroying Malware (other than Nvidia's drivers). Hardware has a lot of built in fail-safes these days to also help avoid any kind of damage.