SLI 960 OR ONE 4GB 960?

Aitchy

Sooooo.. I was thinking, for my bday I am investing in buying a GTX 960, And an idea entered my head thinking if two 2gb cards w/ sli would that be more powerful than one 4gb gtx 960??? or is 2 just overkill.

Many thanks.

@blu4 thanks a lot!! was interested in the 970 also

Neither. 960s suck. Get a 290x or a 970

Sooooo.. I was thinking, for my bday I am investing in buying a GTX 960, And an idea entered my head thinking if two 2gb cards w/ sli would that be more powerful than one 4gb gtx 960??? or is 2 just overkill.

Many thanks.

Neither.

SLI 960 is not worth it at all, 4GB 960 also not.

If you were already thinking about going SLI 960.. Go for 1 970 or R9 290X. That should cost around the same

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Unless you need the Nvidia features i am a strong believer in the 290(x). Give it a thought. Never SLI 960's 2gb of vram is horrible.

Def not dual 960 2gb. You still only get 2gb usable. So your adding more power but creating a vram limitation for the extra power.

i7 4770k/Maximus VII Hero/Titan X/ 500gb 850evox2 r0/1000 EVGA G2

I would actually go with the 290.

Since you orginally wanted a 960, I am assuming you want to play at 1080p.

The 290 is a fantastic compromise between price and preformance. Also, it is fine for any 1080p game.

You can use the extra cash to put in other places of your system.

Quote my post if you need me to respond.

I advise the 970 over the 290, mainly because a lot of titles work with Nvidia, and AMD (and their customers) suffer as a result.

Although I suppose if everyone dropped Nvidia like a hot rock, they might change their tune and be a little more friendly. Not trying to start an argument, just trying to make sure OP knows that AMD can come with some difficulties, despite being a good price/performance point.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Vram doesn't have anything to do with power.  Two 960's would absolutely outperform a single 4 GB 960.

That said, SLI 960's perform nearly identically to the 970, so it would make more sense to just get the 970.

A single 960 is more than enough for 1080p though for most people.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti