PC shuts down when playing games

Hey guys, so I just built a new computer and I'm running into a problem where my entire system will shut down (no BSODs, just black screen) then reboot during graphically intensive games like Witcher and GTA V. I'm not really sure what's wrong. Bios settings are all set to default and my cpu and gpu only have very mild overclocks. I've even tried stock clocks and I still run into the same problem. Here are my components:

GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0

i7 4790k

2x8 GB DDR3 RRAM 2400mhz

500 GB SSD (Windows 8.1)

500 GB HDD

Asus Maximus Hero VII Mobo

Corsair HX 1050w Power Supply

All of the parts are brand new, except the power supply which I used in my previous build (around 2 years old). Upon further research, I found out that complete shut downs are mostly related to either overheating or a faulty PSU. Temperatures are completely fine during gaming (below 65C for CPU and GPU), so that only leaves me with the PSU. The last thing I want to do right now is spend a few hundred bucks on a new one though, so I want to know if there are other possible explanations for this first.

I'd really appreciate it if somebody could offer some insight on this. Searches on google are coming up empty and I'm running out of options. Thanks guys!

do you have a spare PSU to test?

try borrowing one from your buddy

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

No, unfortunately neither my friends nor I have a spare PSU. So is it really the PSU that's failing after all?

Might be a PSU issue

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." - Bill Shankly

My guess:

Playing games = more wattage to run components at higher speeds = PSU can't support all the wattage therefore shuts down. You either don't have sufficient power or a faulty psu

My guess:

Playing games = more wattage to run components at higher speeds = PSU can't support all the wattage therefore shuts down. You either don't have sufficient power or a faulty psu

I see, I guess that means I really do have to get a new PSU. Still can't believe it died so quickly though, I assumed they last for at least 5 years or so. Do you know if it's safe for me to continue using my current PSU for everything besides gaming (browsing the web, streaming videos, etc.)? At least until my new power supply arrives?

Hey guys, so I just built a new computer and I'm running into a problem where my entire system will shut down (no BSODs, just black screen) then reboot during graphically intensive games like Witcher and GTA V. I'm not really sure what's wrong. Bios settings are all set to default and my cpu and gpu only have very mild overclocks. I've even tried stock clocks and I still run into the same problem. Here are my components:

GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0

i7 4790k

2x8 GB DDR3 RRAM 2400mhz

500 GB SSD (Windows 8.1)

500 GB HDD

Asus Maximus Hero VII Mobo

Corsair HX 1050w Power Supply

All of the parts are brand new, except the power supply which I used in my previous build (around 2 years old). Upon further research, I found out that complete shut downs are mostly related to either overheating or a faulty PSU. Temperatures are completely fine during gaming (below 65C for CPU and GPU), so that only leaves me with the PSU. The last thing I want to do right now is spend a few hundred bucks on a new one though, so I want to know if there are other possible explanations for this first.

I'd really appreciate it if somebody could offer some insight on this. Searches on google are coming up empty and I'm running out of options. Thanks guys!

My guess is also on the "power" side. However, are you using multiplug or directly to the wall socket (not sure if you get what I meant here). If you are using those multi plug, you have a chance that the fault is with the multi plug, be it too many other equipment using power and the multi plug is fault and thus, draw not enough power to your PSU and thus the shut down.

If you are not using multi plug, then most likely the issue is with your PSU itself. 

I used to experience the same issue in the pass when I'm using the multi plug (no brand or whatsoever). Luckily for me, I had another multi plug so was able to found out the issue.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

I see, I guess that means I really do have to get a new PSU. Still can't believe it died so quickly though, I assumed they last for at least 5 years or so. Do you know if it's safe for me to continue using my current PSU for everything besides gaming (browsing the web, streaming videos, etc.)? At least until my new power supply arrives?

first, borrow a friends and test. They don't need an "extra" psu, just pull theirs out, and go test with it. then put it back, should only take 10 mins.

"No Gavin, it is Apple Maps bad..."

My guess is also on the "power" side. However, are you using multiplug or directly to the wall socket (not sure if you get what I meant here). If you are using those multi plug, you have a chance that the fault is with the multi plug, be it too many other equipment using power and the multi plug is fault and thus, draw not enough power to your PSU and thus the shut down.

If you are not using multi plug, then most likely the issue is with your PSU itself. 

I used to experience the same issue in the pass when I'm using the multi plug (no brand or whatsoever). Luckily for me, I had another multi plug so was able to found out the issue.

I understood you completely, thank you for the insight. I also thought the same thing as you and plugged my power supply directly into the wall socket. Unfortunately I still got the shut downs.

first, borrow a friends and test. They don't need an "extra" psu, just pull theirs out, and go test with it. then put it back, should only take 10 mins.

Either this, or if you have spare money laying around you can buy one from a shop with a decent return policy, test it out, then return it if that's not the problem (or if you want to hold off on buying one for now). There may be a restocking fee though; depends on the business you buy it from.

Thank you for the suggestion, I guess I should have clarified. None of my friends own custom built PCs, and I'm not sure using a PSU from their prebuilt desktop computers is a good idea.

I understood you completely, thank you for the insight. I also thought the same thing as you and plugged my power supply directly into the wall socket. Unfortunately I still got the shut downs.

:( Then it's pretty much the PSU fault. I mean the chances that the fault is with the wall plug would be super duper small. So, most likely is your PSU. If it is possible, try to borrow a PSU from your friend to test it out first. 

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

:( Then it's pretty much the PSU fault. I mean the chances that the fault is with the wall plug would be super duper small. So, most likely is your PSU. If it is possible, try to borrow a PSU from your friend to test it out first. 

I see, thanks again for your help :)  By the way, do you know if these kinds of shut downs have a lasting negative impact on my system? There have been several of these shut downs (5 or more) today alone already :/

Either this, or if you have spare money laying around you can buy one from a shop with a decent return policy, test it out, then return it if that's not the problem (or if you want to hold off on buying one for now). There may be a restocking fee though; depends on the business you buy it from.

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll make sure to buy a PSU with a nice return policy in case it doesn't fix my problem.

Do you have another videocard around? or one from a friend?

i'd suggest taking it out completely. and do a stress test.

if it passes, insert a friends gpu (even a crappy one) and retest.

this could help track it down. 

FYI, this can be a GPU issue. I had the exact same issue with a amd 7950 video card. Now I play for team green, but it was exactly what you said is happening. CPU and PSU were totally fine, used them both for another year.

Isolating the problem as much as possible is recommended

"No Gavin, it is Apple Maps bad..."

Do you have another videocard around? or one from a friend?

i'd suggest taking it out completely. and do a stress test.

if it passes, insert a friends gpu (even a crappy one) and retest.

this could help track it down. 

FYI, this can be a GPU issue. I had the exact same issue with a amd 7950 video card. Now I play for team green, but it was exactly what you said is happening. CPU and PSU were totally fine, used them both for another year.

Isolating the problem as much as possible is recommended

I DO have another videocard laying around. Thank you for the advice, I'll take the GTX 980 out and see if my older gpu produces the same issue.

I see, thanks again for your help :)  By the way, do you know if these kinds of shut downs have a lasting negative impact on my system? There have been several of these shut downs (5 or more) today alone already :/

On paper it will not be good as the power will "cut off" without warning / suddenly. But unless you are telling me like this happens for like a hundred times then yah, will be pretty bad. If not, should not be that bad as in damaging the systems. 

Spoiler