Rating of PSU's

Azriel

Do I really need an 80+ Gold? Or would a bronze suffice.

bronze will work just the same

but make sure your getting a good quality one, not some cheap POS that will ruin your PC

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

bronze will work just the same

but make sure your getting a good quality one, not some cheap POS that will ruin your PC

I heard Superflower is a good maker. Is that true?

What PSU are you thinking about getting? It's not just the 80+ rating but the stability and amperage of the rails that you need to be concerned about. However, when buying a gold PSU or even a bronze from a reputable brand you can be sure that there wouldn't be a problem anyway.

I heard Superflower is a good maker. Is that true?

Very. Superflower is an OEM up there with the likes of Seasonic and Channel Well Technologies. Their units are rock solid.

What PSU are you thinking about getting? It's not just the 80+ rating but the stability and amperage of the rails that you need to be concerned about. However, when buying a gold PSU or even a bronze from a reputable brand you can be sure that there wouldn't be a problem anyway.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220gs0650v1

bronze is fine, don't worry about it. Just make sure you get the PSU from a reputable brand with good reviews.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

The GS650 is an excellent PSU, but if you don't need full modular and you can live with semi, the 750B2 is a better deal, you get 100 more watts and save 15 bucks. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-110b20750vr

As stated earlier you won't notice the difference between bronze and gold anyways, both the GS and B2 are solid units.

"Rawr XD"

Very. Superflower is an OEM up there with the likes of Seasonic and Channel Well Technologies. Their units are rock solid.

CWT aren't in the same league as Seasonic and SuperFlower tbh :(

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

Do I really need an 80+ Gold? Or would a bronze suffice.

The main difference between Gold and Bronze is it's efficiency to convert AC to DC current as PC components cannot utilize AC power with out burning up.

Check out Linus's video on PSU ratings.

The rating are based on the following efficiency;

Bronze: 85-86%  

Silver: 88-89% 

Gold: 91-92%

Platinum: 93-94% 

All ratings are based on the load put on the PSU, peak efficiency is common at 48-68% load (this will vary by Brand, Model and Rating. Most PSU Makers will post a graph showing it efficiency curve for each of its PSU's. I won't buy a PSU if a graph is not available, that's just me. See the images for an example.

post-229093-0-57989400-1432580200.jpgpost-229093-0-77372700-1432580200.jpg

Each level of efficiency can affect your power bill over time as the lower the efficiency the higher the amount of electricity is used to convert from AC to DC.A reputable maker is Always the way to go as low end PSU's (even supposedly rated at Gold standard) can kill a board more times than not. Do Not Cheap Out on your PSU. A good reputable PSU maker will inherently add a number of filters to reduce (smooth) the frequency of the current passing through, as well built-in surge protectors. A bad PSU can destroy your $500-$3000 machine real fast. The higher the rating will also have available better, longer lasting parts.

One other thing to keep in mind in getting a PSU that is get one rated for more wattage than you need will perform better over time is your load will be lower, less heat will be generated and your efficiency is increased. A PSU with a full or nearly full load will burn up quicker, generate immense heat and be more prone to failure at the moment your in the middle of something important (always happens that way). 

A Bronze will work out well but if your into saving your power bill, a gold will work out better especially if your system pulls a lot of wattage.

Honestly it your your choice really. Pay higher up front price and save over time, pay cheap and lose your system to a sub-par PSU OR pay a relative decent price and pay mid to higher electric bill.

I suggest you do the math and for your areas electric prices to see if the life of your PSU chose will gain anything versus your electrical usage and bill.

Hope that helps :D

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

CWT isn't that reputable for PSUs that people would refer to as "rock solid"

"Rawr XD"

The Whos who list of PSU makers.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-psu-brands,3762-5.html

Gives a comprehensive list of what brands there are, who makes what and who are the re-branders.

Hope that helps as well. You will be surprised at what you see here.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Efficiency doesn't really matter unless electricity costs are a big deal.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The Whos who list of PSU makers.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-psu-brands,3762-5.html

Gives a comprehensive list of what brands there are, who makes what and who are the re-branders.

Hope that helps as well. You will be surprised at what you see here.

Thank you a lot! I did not even think of looking at tomshardware. Thanks once again.

Thank you a lot! I did not even think of looking at tomshardware. Thanks once again.

That list is quite outdated and doesn't feature many newer PSUs that you'll find on the market and suggested on the forum today. You can always ask here for what PSU is good though :P

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

Efficiency doesn't really matter unless electricity costs are a big deal.

Efficiency = Electrical cost. A bigger bill is a bigger bill. If your not worried about cost then your point is valid. Your statement is however not valid as I was answering the question asked. (not trying to be argumentative here)

Higher the efficiency, lower the amount of electricity used = lower electric bill. Lower the efficiency, higher the amount of electricity used = higher electric bill. 

Cost of the PSU (higher or lower) + your load or usage x the amount you pay per Kw. This is good formula to determine a decent figure on how much to pay for a PSU.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

That list is quite outdated and doesn't feature many newer PSUs that you'll find on the market and suggested on the forum today. You can always ask here for what PSU is good though :P

Doesn't matter how old the article is (besides it not that old) hasn't changed much in terms who builds what for who. The list is still valid mostly Toms hardware is always updating the list.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Your are most welcome, glad to help.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Doesn't matter how old the article is (besides it not that old) hasn't changed much in terms who builds what for who. The list is still valid mostly Toms hardware is always updating the list.

I never said it was a bad resource, it's just that not everything is there including many of the newer good suggestions on this forum. Heck it doesn't even have the EVGA G2 (or B2 or GS). It's a good starting resource, but still not as good as just asking here regarding a particular PSU model.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

I never said it was a bad resource, it's just that not everything is there including many of the newer good suggestions on this forum. Heck it doesn't even have the EVGA G2 (or B2 or GS). It's a good starting resource, but still not as good as just asking here regarding a particular PSU model.

Right on.

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be argumentative. I had a moment there elsewhere and my reply showed some spill over.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W