Intel i7-6700K Skylake CPU Benchmarks Appear

BiG StroOnZ

10% faster... What did we expect. Overclocking remains to be seen.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

But.... if Skylake supposedly uses DDR3 or DDR4..... THEN WHICH RAM THEY USED???

Broadwell already has this option.....Just saying.

My take is that skylake is a nice part, slight improvement over z97, but you'll notice that the x99 part isn't quoted on a lot of these tests as it smacks skylake around like a little bitch.....(cough) sorry about that. They're completely different applications, and nobody actually needs an x99 chip unless they're 3d rendering, or a content creator.

The big improvement I've noticed with skylake is energy savings. You'll be able to do more with less, and use a significantly less bulky cooler to do it.

naaice. A good bit better than ivy bridge. 

Sandy Bridge customers I think should upgrade to skylake.

Not really... at least based on those benchmarks...

Cinebench 11.5 is what i based my buys on. This new chip scores 2.05 on 4.2ghz single core. My 2500k scores 2.04 on 5ghz single core. So for this chip to be a worthy replacement it would have to do at least 5ghz stable

AAnRDy1.png

I would like to point out that the xeon has a lower clockspeed but the same score.

and 2x the cores.

Welp

That is quite cool, I'm getting more hopeful about this CPU. I want something impressive for me to replace my Z77X board and Core i5-2500K.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

and 2x the cores.

Those are the single core performance stats....... You're welcome.

Those are the single core performance stats....... You're welcome.

Consumer grade CPU have disabled features that the Xeons do have. Still wouldn't make up for the 30% difference in clockspeed I guess

Welp

Broadwell already has this option.....Just saying.

Broadwell does not support DDR4. Haswell-E supports DDR4, and so will Broadwell-E when it arrives.

I bet this is all inaccurate now...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I don't belive it. No sources, just benchmark results.

Even Intel hasn't mentioned a single shit about Skylake yet

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

And i'm just here, with my i5 4570 watching how CPU's gets more power while I pick up pennies for my next upgrade :( (cries in spanish)

This seems like a good performance increase.  It's solidly outperforming the 4790K, which is the "best" of consumer Haswell, and this is just the first stuff no?  In 1-2 years the "best" of Skylake will come out and it'll probably be 20-30% better.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Wow Intel you disaapoint me. They barely have competition so they can get away with this.

It's not about getting away with things. Intel's best interest is ensuring AMD's survival which currently is up in the air with analysts claiming bankruptcy by 2020. Intel needs enough performance to keep its sales going and keep the HPC space moving, but not so much as to bury AMD (yet).

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It's not about getting away with things. Intel's best interest is ensuring AMD's survival which currently is up in the air with analysts claiming bankruptcy by 2020. Intel needs enough performance to keep its sales going and keep the HPC space moving, but not so much as to bury AMD (yet).

Yea, but, "enthusiasts" don't see the big picture. All they see is clock speeds and FPS per second and pawnage and all the gaming performance stuff. They don't care to consider what the business side dictates. 

Intel could very well bury AMD this year, if they wanted to. But why would Intel bury AMD and then have to give the X86 license to a company that is actually competent (like Samsungs chip making division)? Intel is better served keeping AMD on life support so everyone thinks there is still some competition. 

AMD poses as much competition to Intel as a Civic can challenge a F1 car on a track. Thats the facts of the business. AMD is a weak shell, they have a mountain of debt, they need to sell us all these goods and hype them up because they will literally close up shop if they don't have record setting years for the next half decade. 

well "analyst" also said Windows Phone would overtake iPhone and be challenging Android by now. So I wouldn't put TOO much stock in what any analyst says.

well "analyst" also said Windows Phone would overtake iPhone and be challenging Android by now. So I wouldn't put TOO much stock in what any analyst says.

Financial analysts and market analysts are very different animals. The latter is far more speculative. The former is much more a scientist.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

KMT.......really......barely any improvement over the last generation of chips.

10% at best, does that sound familiar? I guess it should because that's all intel have been doing since Sandy Bridge!

They can keep it.

Even if I had a 2700k I still wouldn't upgrade unless I was going to X99, now that's where you should see and feel the difference in POWAH!!!

Blood-Box (Current) - 4790K @ 4.4GHz 1.175v | MSI Z97M GamingMSI R9 290 TF | 16GB ADATA XPG v1.0 CL9 | patiently waiting on the CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3 | Corsair RM650 | Noctua NH-U12S | OCZ Vertex 460 240GB SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD

Feishi (Gift to my bro) - 4770K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z87 UD5H | Gigabyte GTX 760 WFx3 2.0 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 CL9 | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-C14 | Seagate 2TB HDD

Intel really has no motive for such small performance gains (pretty much die shrink yields only) over the coarse of four years. They simply want to ride the gravy train as long as they can and make as much money as possible from such small investments. As the trend has been reoccurring for so long it has become obvious that a lot of people are getting sick them slacking in ways of no real innovation. It has nothing to do with the saving grace of AMD because they can handle themselves. If the company nuked from the inside out overnight Intel could really give to sharts. They've been dumping R&D into their graphics architecture a lot lately and look what still happened? They are even further behind their competitor now more than ever. Sure performance has been increasing in comparison to their previous generations although Carrizo is twice as fast as HD 6000 (highest tier in that power envelope) at the same power envelope. The companies shortcomings have led them to a point where they've not only let their competitor play catch up but also allowed them to set the bar. Intel has been riding the gravy train for too long and completely lost focus of whats really important. There's really no excuses for your core performance to only increase 20% over the course of four years. Especially on a tick-tock cycle where two of them should of been architectural improvements. Here we are four years later and the only performance Intel has to show for themselves is entirely from die shrinks and a couple of new instructions.

Intel really has no motive for such small performance gains (pretty much die shrink yields only) over the coarse of four years. They simply want to ride the gravy train as long as they can and make as much money as possible from such small investments. As the trend has been reoccurring for so long it has become obvious that a lot of people are getting sick them slacking in ways of no real innovation. It has nothing to do with the saving grace of AMD because they can handle themselves. If the company nuked from the inside out overnight Intel could really give to sharts. They've been dumping R&D into their graphics architecture a lot lately and look what still happened? They are even further behind their competitor now more than ever. Sure performance has been increasing in comparison to their previous generations although Carrizo is twice as fast as HD 6000 (highest tier in that power envelope) at the same power envelope. The companies shortcomings have led them to a point where they've not only let their competitor play catch up but also allowed them to set the bar. Intel has been riding the gravy train for too long and completely lost focus of whats really important.

Nah, the real innovation has just been focused to the HPC space.

Intel has to design around the huge trove of patents held by Nvidia and AMD. Nvidia does not license the most fundamental bits to Intel in order to keep them from going up against Tegra. Unfortunately, some of those patents are expiring, and Intel's on the ball.

What benchmark are you quoting?! The biggest difference I see between Carrizo and HD 6000 is 20%, and frankly that's pathetic for AMD who has the SP count advantage, delta color compression, etc.. Intel is closer to AMD and Nvidia than ever, and if the trend continues, they're going to surpass both AMD and Nvidia before the end of the decade. Thank God patents expire. If anyone's grown complacent, it's Nvidia.

Intel has been riding the gravy train for too long and completely lost focus of whats really important. There's really no excuses for your core performance to only increase 20% over the course of four years.

They've focused on what's really important, mobile. That has not been a gravy train for them at all, but their huge investment/loss in that area is beginning to show signs of success. Zenfone 2 running Intel Atom, lots of tablet-likes running Core M. That's why their slow performance increase is fully excusable - they have instead optimized for much lower power envelopes, bringing great performance to smaller form factors.

KMT.......really......barely any improvement over the last generation of chips.

10% at best, does that sound familiar? I guess it should because that's all intel have been doing since Sandy Bridge!

They can keep it.

Even if I had a 2700k I still wouldn't upgrade unless I was going to X99, now that's where you should see and feel the difference in POWAH!!!

Yeah, I'm considering going X99 for my next build. My Cities Skylines is begging for more threads :/

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Nah, the real innovation has just been focused to the HPC space.

Intel has to design around the huge trove of patents held by Nvidia and AMD. Nvidia does not license the most fundamental bits to Intel in order to keep them from going up against Tegra. Unfortunately, some of those patents are expiring, and Intel's on the ball.

What benchmark are you quoting?! The biggest difference I see between Carrizo and HD 6000 is 20%, and frankly that's pathetic for AMD who has the SP count advantage, delta color compression, etc.. Intel is closer to AMD and Nvidia than ever, and if the trend continues, they're going to surpass both AMD and Nvidia before the end of the decade. Thank God patents expire. If anyone's grown complacent, it's Nvidia.

Carrizo (15w) benches nearly twice as fast as HD 6000 in 3DMark11 which is Intel's highest skew in that power envelope. They do have a SIMD advantage although power consumption is something that's hard to not take into consideration. On 28nm compared to Intel's 14nm FinFET. Carrizo on 14nm FF would just be ridiculously good in the laptop/convertible ecosystem. However AMD still managed to take the A10-7850k and fit all of its performance into a 15w envelope on the same node.

They've focused on what's really important, mobile. That has not been a gravy train for them at all, but their huge investment/loss in that area is beginning to show signs of success. Zenfone 2 running Intel Atom, lost of tablets running Core M.

Scoring design wins is only the beginning of Intel having any success in the mobile market (lost over $4.2 billion last year in it). I wasn't referring to their low power mobile footprint anyhow (Skylake is a laptop/desktop/server architecture).

Scoring design wins is only the beginning of Intel having any success in the mobile market (lost over $4.2 billion last year in it). I wasn't referring to their mobile footprint anyhow (Skylake is a desktop/server CPU).

Yeah, it's the beginning. It's a big step compared to just not being relevant at all.

Skylake is an architecture that will span all the way from high-power servers, workstations and gaming desktops over laptops to tablets (or at least convertibles). The needs of the mobile space dictates how the architecture is designed, to the detriment of desktop enthusiasts in particular (servers are actually fine with sacrificing clocks and IPC to some extent, since driving down power draw yields power efficiency gains that are useful there).