Bionic eye implant promises a lifetime of perfect vision

TwistedDictator

Wow my mum and gf need this, hell even i would get it even though my eyes are fine.

3 times better than 20/20?

That's going to be a severe headache in the first few weeks.

I went from fairly poor vision to almost 20/20 and i got a terrible headache as my brain got used to it.

Going from even worse vision to 60/60 would be quite extreme

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

3 times better than 20/20?

That's going to be a severe headache in the first few weeks.

I went from fairly poor vision to almost 20/20 and i got a terrible headache as my brain got used to it.

Going from even worse vision to 60/60 would be quite extreme

Just so you know, three times better than 20/20 is not 60/60.

20/20 and 60/60 would actually be exactly equivalent vision (Also a slightly meaningless expression of vision, since 20/20 is specifically calibrated).

20/20 means that you can clearly see separate contours 1.75mm apart (Yes, that's 1.75 millimeters) at 20 feet away, that an average person with perfect vision can also see.

60/60 would mean that at 60 feet, you can clearly see an object at 60 feet away, that a person with perfect vision can also see.

Three times better would be 20/5 vision, or something (I'm not sure how the level of vision improves as you get closer to zero).

What 20/5 means is that you can see an object at 20 feet away, that a person with "perfect" vision can see 5 feet away.

A more official definition is here:

A visual acuity of 20/20 is frequently described as meaning that a person can see detail from 20 feet (6.1 m) away the same as a person with normal eyesight would see from 20 feet. If a person has a visual acuity of 20/40, he is said to see detail from 20 feet (6.1 m) away the same as a person with normal eyesight would see it from 40 feet (12 m) away.

And here:

20/20 is the visual acuity needed to discriminate two contours separated by 1 arc minute—about 1/16 of an inch at 20 feet.

A normal healthy youth can often have vision that exceeds 20/20 by a slight amount, but it's very unusual for someone to have vision as good as 20/10.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_acuity

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

although this is really cool and it could be used for good things like helping blind people or people who just hate using contacts or their glasses, idk if i would trust it until later on when its more developed :S

i guess im just gonna keep my glasses until lasik :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Yeah... all this tech talk about greater graphics on whatever refresh rate a monitor isn't gonna look good if your eyesight isn't in shape. It's definitely something I'd look into before having surgery, hopefully it's cost isn't higher from Lasik.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

im curious how these lenses would respond to pressure change/g forces eg airplane/scuba diving/rollercoaster.  hopefully this has been thought of 

damn awesome?

where can i sign up?

btw google, i wouldnt mind a advertorial once a day with this thing ;)

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Ill settle for a setting to swtich between normal , x-ray and nightvision :D

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

'Legolas, what do your elven eyes see?'

Wow this is actually pretty cool. I take 20!

"You can´t spell SLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER!^^"

i want to have good vision...been wearing glasses since age of 10..

i dont enjoy swimming/diving since I can't see anything there..

this is very selfish, but i do hope this ultimately works for the blind people..and is cheap too.lol

As cool as it is I don't like the direction...Deus Ex is scary as fack when you realize what happens in the game can very well happen in reality but there's no hero to save us. :unsure:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

'Legolas, what do your elven eyes see?'

I see trees of green

red roses too

I see them bloom, for me and you :P

Also, GET AWAY FROM MY EYES. 

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

i hope this technology will become reality and will actually work personally i had perfect visions allways but i want ppl whit poor vision to see as good as evryone else

It's pretty cool, but if it hasn't even been tested in animals yet then there's absolutely no guarantee that it will work, and I very much doubt their claim of "three times better than 20/20" vision. Even if it does work, 2017 is incredibly optimistic (it takes more than two years to make sure that it doesn't have any longer term disadvantages, let alone the time spent in all the other tests that have to be run before it can even get to that stage). I wouldn't be surprised if this idea just quietly disappears before it comes to market, and even if it does make it to market I doubt that it will deliver half of what it's advertising.

True however in the case it succeeds in the next 5 years and the company is openly traded, you can bet they'll jump in value tremendously.

This sorta technology seems to me at least, to have more benefits than potential cons. However that's just my "guesstimation prediction".

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^