Is ps/2 less input lag than usb?

MaximusX

In title. If it is less does usb to ps/2 help make it better?

Desktop 1: CPU: Intel Core i7 4770  GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 Ram: Crucial DDR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB and Segate 1TB Hard drive  Desktop 2: CPU: Intel Pentium G3258  GPU: AMD R7 250  Ram: Corsair Vengance DRR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Mobo: MSI H81M-E33  PSU: Corsair CX430M  Case: Rosewill MicroAtx Mini Tower

if you mean usb mouse -> ps2 adapter -> ps2 port in the computer, it *might* get marginally better if you're some kind of superhuman.

if you mean get a ps2 mouse -> ps2 to usb adapter -> usb port in the computer, you need to rethink life.

if you mean usb mouse -> ps2 adapter -> ps2 port in the computer, it *might* get marginally better if you're some kind of superhuman.

if you mean get a ps2 mouse -> ps2 to usb adapter -> usb port in the computer, you need to rethink life.

Well I meant the first one except with a keyboard

Desktop 1: CPU: Intel Core i7 4770  GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 Ram: Crucial DDR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB and Segate 1TB Hard drive  Desktop 2: CPU: Intel Pentium G3258  GPU: AMD R7 250  Ram: Corsair Vengance DRR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Mobo: MSI H81M-E33  PSU: Corsair CX430M  Case: Rosewill MicroAtx Mini Tower

Well I meant the first one except with a keyboard

in short, yes it'll help, but no, its not worth it unless you're some kind of superhuman that can game at the speed of sound.

well USB can't possibly be faster latency wise since it's more complicated and there's more going on compared to PS/2.

Good question.. I'm sure someone smarter than me will have a better explanation and or answer.

in short, yes it'll help, but no, its not worth it unless you're some kind of superhuman that can game at the speed of sound.

Ok thx

In title. If it is less does usb to ps/2 help make it better?

Technically faster.  PS/2 works by interrupting the CPU I/O while USB is polled by the CPU.  What this means is whenver a PS/2 device is clicked/pressed, it sends a command to the CPU along with whatever else the CPU is doing.  This means response times as fast as possible in a PC.  USB however is "polled".

This means the CPU "asks" the USB port for input x number of times per second, and anything that happens in between the polls gets rolled over into the next poll.  That's why in general, USB ports have a small CPU resource overhead, as a dedicated amount of CPU cycles is solely used for polling USB ports.  PS/2 ports just sit there until you do something on it and it gets sent to the CPU for processing.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

well USB can't possibly be faster latency wise since it's more complicated and there's more going on compared to PS/2.

Good question.. I'm sure someone smarter than me will have a better explanation and or answer.

to set things straight: usb can go as fast as it wants, depending on how much bandwidth and cpu usage you want to spend on it.

PS2 on the other hand is a direct interrupt to the cpu, so it'll be handled RIGHT when the mouse senses it, rather than when the next polling happens.

the difference between these is probably shorter than the time needed to turn this information into an action in-game.

PS2 does have a lower lag time as it's a "hardware-interrupt" if you will. USB requires some work of the CPU (not really noticeable) while PS2 is basically considered hardware and reacts immediately. It doesn't make a damn difference for 99.9% of people, but using an adapter is a nice way to save USB ports and also save about .00002 seconds on your typing.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

PS/2 is a hardware interrupt, so it has built in NKRO. It is better, even if it is just an adapter.