The Little Titan

LilRaunchy

ncase_m1.jpg

I figured now would be a great time to stop lurking and start posting on the forum here, as I am starting a new PC build for the next few weeks to come.

I am going off to University next year, and wish to have a no-compromise, small form factor, beast of a machine to bring with me to go to some LAN parties and also save on space while living is residence on campus. This is not my first PC build, so I do have some experience putting a system together, but building in the NCase M1 is going to be an exciting challenge for me to take on. I am currently selling my old system in order to subsidize the cost of this build, so I will be receiving parts in the next few days/weeks and will try to take photos as each part comes in. Some of the parts from my old build will carried over into the new one, such as the GPU, RAM, and HDD. Anyways, here is the build I have speced out:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K

Cooler: Noctua NH-D9L

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-Wifi

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB (already owned)

SSD: Mushkin ECO2 240GB 

HDD: WD Green 2TB

GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970 Strix (already owned)

PSU: Silverstone 600W SFX

Future Upgrades:

GPU: MSI GTX 980

RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) - Not sure which brand yet, will decide when buying

Let me know what you guys think so far.

BLIZZARD | i5-4690k @4.4Ghz | Corsair H105 | Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM (4x4GB) | MSI Z97S SLI Plus

GTX 970 Strix SLI | NZXT S340 | WD Green 2TB @5400rpm | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB

"Little Titan"

*uses 970*

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Xeon for university applications? Doing cad or rendering work?  Looks pretty solid.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

I'd say steer away from the strix unless you really want it. Really bad coil whine issues from what I've heard. I have the windforce 970 and its quiet.

Edit--nvm I think you are reusing it.

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

@LilRaunchy Make sure to follow your own threads to see replies

Welcome to the forums.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

"Little Titan"

*uses 970*

*wants to "upgrade" to a 780ti later*

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

*wants to "upgrade" to a 780ti later*

LOOOOOOOOOOL

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

"Little Titan"

*uses 970*

The title definitely suites the Titan series more :P I wanted the name of the build to refer to the power it will be packing into such a small form factor.

Xeon for university applications? Doing cad or rendering work?  Looks pretty solid.

None of the above ^ 

Using the Xeon because it offers Hyperthreading at a lower price point than the i7 line of CPUs, and it is also rated for 24/7 operation. Basically, it is a rock solid CPU for the price.

I'd say steer away from the strix unless you really want it. Really bad coil whine issues from what I've heard. I have the windforce 970 and its quiet.

I am just reusing for now, I have two in SLI right now and the whine isn't that noticeable for me. 

Would you guys suggest upgrading to a GTX 980 with the reference cooler on it? The only reason why I wanted to 780Ti was for the similar performance, at a lower price (used at least).

BLIZZARD | i5-4690k @4.4Ghz | Corsair H105 | Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM (4x4GB) | MSI Z97S SLI Plus

The title definitely suites the Titan series more :P I wanted the name of the build to refer to the power it will be packing into such a small form factor.

None of the above ^ 

Using the Xeon because it offers Hyperthreading at a lower price point than the i7 line of CPUs, and it is also rated for 24/7 operation. Basically, it is a rock solid CPU for the price.

I am just reusing for now, I have two in SLI right now and the whine isn't that noticeable for me. 

Would you guys suggest upgrading to a GTX 980 with the reference cooler on it? The only reason why I wanted to 780Ti was for the similar performance, at a lower price (used at least).

The G1 gaming 970 performs so well with a overclock you won't need to upgrade later. Also hypertheading won't help games and any CPU with a proper cooler will run 24/7, so go with z97 board and 4960K.

Why are you using a  Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 with no ECC?

Just get an i7 and that will run 24/7 with no issues trust me. The i7 is used in a lot of servers in datacenters. Do you need an i7? or will a core i5 do? Also I would not get this case just get the silverstone mini itx which is 40 dollars or the rosewill mini itx. I would spend the saved of the money on 1TB ssd or gtx 980.

Unless you really are using your CPU ... I mean really doing CPU intensive work I would save the money and get an i5. Also I would wait till fall to build a pc. New intel CPUs and new GPUs are around the corner. You might as well get the latest stuff if you can wait a bit. 

Interesting processor choice. Clocked a bit lower than an i7-4790, but substantially cheaper. Could drop down to an i5, which would be slightly cheaper, but you lose hyperthreading and 2MB of cache (which may not matter that much), and gain some clock speed. O.o

The NCASE is such small and beautiful case, looking forward to the build! The Xeon seems like an odd choice, if you're not doing any professional work, but it should work well with games, too. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Its an i7 4770 for the price of an i5 4690k tho.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

The G1 gaming 970 performs so well with a overclock you won't need to upgrade later. Also hypertheading won't help games and any CPU with a proper cooler will run 24/7, so go with z97 board and 4960K.

Only if you run 1.3v and get 1600MHz on the core..

Which 80% of people won't want to BIOS mod..

Hell if I had to go nivida I would do it, just like that, why else do you think they would put on a cooler rated for 600 watts.

Yeah I really regret getting an MSI because the G1 is so overbuilt and I want that 980 killer D:

The people in this thread are very ignorant, stick with the Xeon. If you don't want to OC its the perfect CPU

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

The people in this thread are very ignorant, stick with the Xeon. If you don't want to OC its the perfect CPU

thank you maester we're all paesants, teach us 

Thank you all for your support. Taking all of your thoughts into consideration, I am going to get the Core i5-4690K to get a slight overclock and I really don't "need" the hyperthreading after all. I will wait until the new Intel processor line up is release and make an upgrade decision then. I also opted for the Z97 version of the motherboard I was going to get, and added a 240GB SSD over the previous 120GB one. 

As for the graphics card, I already own the Asus GTX 970 Strix, so I will not be upgrading until the new AMD/Nvidia cards are released. Case will arrive in a few weeks, and I will be purchasing all the other components in the next week,