Gtx 970 coil whine

Rampiks
Go to solution Solved by iamdarkyoshi,

Enable vsync to fix it temporarily, or run F@H for 36hours on full with adequate ventilation. This fixed my coil whine for good.

i have had a msi gtx 970 for three months, in the begining there was no coilwhine at all (only noticed some in heaven benchmark in the loading screen when it went to a couple tousand of FPS). suddenly a week a go i started getting coilwhine when moving my cursor on windows (not when i scroll) and today in BF4 (about 140 fps) anything i can do that might help?

CPU - i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz l CPU Cooler - Nepton 240m l GPU - MSI GTX970 gaming 4g 2-way SLI l SLI Bridge - MSI Gaming 2-way L Pro l Mobo - MSI Z97-G45 Gaming l RAM - 2x8GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz DDR3 l PSU - Corsair HX750i l SSD - 2x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB in raid 0 | HDD - WD Black 2TB | Case - NZXT H440 Red/Black l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse Logitech G502 l MousePad - XTRFY NiP lightning l KeyBoard - Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB (Red) | Headset - Asus ROG Spitfire | Monitor - Asus PG279Q - VG248QE l PCPP - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sxTpsY | Please don't buy CX PSU for a high end PC

Strange, perhaps reinstall drivers or update them? and are you overclocking your card?

I've had my gigabyte gtx 970 g1 gaming since January and I have had no such issue, though I do get a little bit of coil whine when the card is under extremely high loads or when I'm getting shitloads of frames per second. (Like on I think it was valley benchmark when I'm closing it, that one screen that comes up when it shuts down gets like 5K FPS and that makes my card squeal like a bitch, whereas the benchmark itself doesn't :P)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

This seems to be a problem that no one can work out. Your guess is as good as any. Sorry for the lack of help. :wacko:

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Enable vsync to fix it temporarily, or run F@H for 36hours on full with adequate ventilation. This fixed my coil whine for good.

my monitor is 144hz so vsync would not do anything. do you know if it's the same with having somthing like aida64 or heaven benchmark runing for 36h?

CPU - i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz l CPU Cooler - Nepton 240m l GPU - MSI GTX970 gaming 4g 2-way SLI l SLI Bridge - MSI Gaming 2-way L Pro l Mobo - MSI Z97-G45 Gaming l RAM - 2x8GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz DDR3 l PSU - Corsair HX750i l SSD - 2x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB in raid 0 | HDD - WD Black 2TB | Case - NZXT H440 Red/Black l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse Logitech G502 l MousePad - XTRFY NiP lightning l KeyBoard - Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB (Red) | Headset - Asus ROG Spitfire | Monitor - Asus PG279Q - VG248QE l PCPP - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sxTpsY | Please don't buy CX PSU for a high end PC

I had coil whine and I just burnt it in with 1.3v and furmark and it went away. :P

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

I had coil whine and I just burnt it in with 1.3v and furmark and it went away. :P

just be careful with furmark. It runs hardware much harder than it is designed for and can destroy newer chips from the obscene current draw, similar to prime95.

just be careful with furmark. It runs hardware much harder than it is designed for and can destroy newer chips from the obscene current draw, similar to prime95.

Fans @ 100% and you'll be fine atleast if its a G1 Gaming.

If its a Strix use Heaven/Valley.

I was able to get rid of whine from 5 hours of furmark.

my monitor is 144hz so vsync would not do anything. do you know if it's the same with having somthing like aida64 or heaven benchmark runing for 36h?

it runs it much harder. Folding at home is like bitcoin mining, but it simulates how protiens act in the human body to help research illneses. I would suggest trying it, it would be like running a burn in test but acomplish something useful instead of just heat.

Fans @ 100% and you'll be fine atleast if its a G1 Gaming.

If its a Strix use Heaven/Valley.

I was able to get rid of whine from 5 hours of furmark.

BTW is it a MSI gaming

it runs it much harder. Folding at home is like bitcoin mining, but it simulates how protiens act in the human body to help research illneses. I would suggest trying it, it would be like running a burn in test but acomplish something useful instead of just heat.

hmm. do you have a link?

BTW is it a MSI gaming

Don't do it, run heaven for 36 hours.

F@H should be fine too.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/876-foldinghome-install-guide-and-links-linustechtips-team-223518/

Here on the LTT fourums we have a team, be sure to add to our totals!

does it make a differense to pause it to game on the final result?

with 48h of F@ H it seams the coil whine has went away (especially the really anoying whine when i moved the cursor while doing nothing on the desktop)

with 48h of F@ H it seams the coil whine has went away (especially the really anoying whine when i moved the cursor while doing nothing on the desktop)

may also depend on wu or clock speed. I get coil whine with core 17 or did. Glad it went away if it comes back try slightly underclocking it.