help with PSU for amd r9 295x2

sudh2020

im about to buy a 295x2 and i need to upgrade my psu, I'm thinking of buying the antec hcg 900(900w with 80+bronze) and i don't know if its enough (or compatible) with the gpu. can someone help?

It's enough and a bit overkill actually.

Moving thread to Cases and Power Supplies--this.. doesn't have anything to do with CPUs, Motherboard, or Memory..

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I believe a 750-900w PSU should be enough.

It's enough and a bit overkill actually.

Moving thread to Cases and Power Supplies--this.. doesn't have anything to do with CPUs, Motherboard, or Memory..

thank you! you guys are great:)

im about to buy a 295x2 and i need to upgrade my psu, I'm thinking of buying the antec hcg 900(900w with 80+bronze) and i don't know if its enough (or compatible) with the gpu. can someone help?

HCG 900 is more then enough, it'd be better to trade off watts for a bit more quality, consider something like the EVGA 750G2 or Antec Edge 750.

"Rawr XD"

I have an RM1000 with my 295x2, which I chose after careful research. (My first choice, the AX1000i, is very overpriced where I live.)

More important than watts is the fact that the card required 50 amps from a single 12V rail (28 amps each for multi-rail) for its two 8-pin PCI-E connectors.

Remember, all PSUs are not created equal. A high-quality 750W will deliver more stable power (less ripple) than a crap 1500W. The PSU you choose will power all your expensive investments, so don't cheap out on the PSU.

That said, I personally wouldn't choose a 750W since the card itself is rated at 500W TDP. It depends on your configuration, but you don't want to be near max capacity as PSU efficiency ratings generally dip toward the top. Find the balance somewhere between overkill and running at max capacity. Just make sure you take your CPU into consideration (e.g. AMD will draw more power than Intel) when you calculate how much power all your components will use.

I have an RM1000 with my 295x2, which I chose after careful research. (My first choice, the AX1000i, is very overpriced where I live.)

More important than watts is the fact that the card required 50 amps from a single 12V rail (28 amps each for multi-rail) for its two 8-pin PCI-E connectors.

Remember, all PSUs are not created equal. A high-quality 750W will deliver more stable power (less ripple) than a crap 1500W. The PSU you choose will power all your expensive investments, so don't cheap out on the PSU.

That said, I personally wouldn't choose a 750W since the card itself is rated at 500W TDP. It depends on your configuration, but you don't want to be near max capacity as PSU efficiency ratings generally dip toward the top. Find the balance somewhere between overkill and running at max capacity. Just make sure you take your CPU into consideration (e.g. AMD will draw more power than Intel) when you calculate how much power all your components will use.

should i get a 850/800w gold/platinum efficiency?

list all your components.

The efficiency rating doesn't really matter.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

list all your components.

motherboard: asrock 77h

cpu: i5 3740

1T hard drive

128G ssd

motherboard: asrock 77h

cpu: i5 3740

1T hard drive

128G ssd

if you really want the antec hcg 750W, it should be fine. The PSU has two 12V rails @ 40A each. Just make sure you connect the two separate PCI-E connectors to two separate rails and DON'T daisy-chain connect using one cable.

Efficiency means how much power the PSU will draw from the outlet to convert and deliver power at a given load. When you're making a decision to buy a 295x2, a few extra dollars on your monthly power bill shouldn't be a deal-breaker.

if you really want the antec hcg 750W, it should be fine. The PSU has two 12V rails. Just make sure you connect the two separate PCI-E connectors to two separate rails and DON'T daisy-chain connect using one cable.

i just want to be sure that the hcg 900w will be ok as well?

yes. it's got four 12V rails @ 40A each. same rules apply - connect cables to different rails, and don't load up all your components on one rail.

HOWEVER, where the hcg 750W is semi-modular and the PSU itself is actually labeled with RAIL1 and RAIL2, the hcg 900W is not modular. You're going to want to study the user manual or even contact Antec and ask them which PCI-e connectors are connected to which rail. There are four PCI-E 8-pin (6+2) connectors, so naturally I would guess that each is connected to a separate rail, but you want to be sure.

Yes as I've stated the HCG 900W will be plenty.

"Rawr XD"