Fractal Design Define R5 Vs Fractal Define S ?

brad5126

Hello i am building a new computer soon and was wondering which one of these cases to go for ?

Also if anyone has either of these cases let me know what they are like !! Also do you find that dust gets in at the top if you mount a radiator there ?

Cheers

If you're doing air cooling or just an AIO then go for the R5. If you're looking to do a custom loop, get the S.

"Rawr XD"

If you're doing air cooling or just an AIO then go for the R5. If you're looking to do a custom loop, get the S.

The Define S is better for cooling in either case. It's the cheaper and better option if front 5.25" bays aren't necessary and sacrificing cooling for noise isn't an issue. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The Define S is just for easier water cooling. If you are doing AIO water cooling or air go with the R5

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

need silent case get define r 5 need better cpu and dual gpu cooling get define s

The Define S is better for cooling in either case. It's the cheaper and better option if front 5.25" bays aren't necessary and sacrificing cooling for noise isn't an issue. 

The R5 gives you more flexibility in components though, as well as more sound dampening and some extra little features like more front panel USB and a fan controller.

"Rawr XD"

Define S, if you are interested in having the sound dampening, just don't get a windowed version.  As for mounting a radiator in the top--yes, some dust could get in when the machine is powered off, but if you use it as exhaust it should be fine.  Mounting the rad in the front should yield equivalent temps because of the fresh air-intake, but GPU temps may suffer.  I'd say based on reviews and personal opinion--the Define S is a clear upgrade over the R5 if you don't need the 5.25 bays, and are looking for a spacious, easy to build in case.  And if you don't want a window--the windowless version of the Define S, does in fact have sound dampening foam like the R5.  So, it's just overall -really- nice, and cheaper too!