Need help getting mkv files into Sony Vegas Pro 13

Ringtail Jax

I've been trying to find a way to get mkv video files into SVP13 for about a week and by what I found is the fact that mkv files are "wrapped" and is part of the issue of why it is not supported as a codec for vegas. Sorry if my information in anyway flawed but the whole point is I want to get this video into vegas without loosing the quality of the video (too much). I have already tried converting it with vlc's built in video converter and only made the video stutter and have no audio in vegas (although played normally in vlc alone). I don't know if I have to unwrap the file or if I just convert it to a different format, any help will be great. Also If any of my information is incorrect please don't hesitate to inform me on the proper information, trust me, I like learning this stuff :P

I fix computers and computer accessories... sometimes... when I want to...

What you need to do is demux the MKV to get the separate video file and then use whatever format is being used into SVP13.  

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

What you need to do is demux the MKV to get the separate video file and then use whatever format is being used into SVP13.  

Do you mind elaborating a bit, if possible please?

I fix computers and computer accessories... sometimes... when I want to...

Try using Handbrake. Its a DVD ripping software but will also convert the file from mkv to MP4 which should work. 

But Demuxing is a better option but requires some work to be done. ffmpeg was the software for demuxing iikr.

Edited by sumitmak

MKV is just a container.

It usually contains h264 video + acc audio + subtitles (you can have multiple audio, video, and subtitles in 1 mkv file)

You can view and extract + add files using (i think) MKVextract and MakeMKV, they go hand in hand.

It's been a while since I played with them.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review