As a Spotify Premium user for many years

Rekx

I finally got time to watch the latest WAN show. When Linus began to debate about apple trying to get artist and record labels to pull their music from Spotify, i got really angry. Sure a lot of people use the free version, but there is also a lot of people who pays for Premium (10+ mio) So pulling their music will also effect payed users which is even dumber... To the artist which pulled their songs, we all know why you did it . Money to buy your 4th summer house...

Before Spotify i was a music pirate (Ahoy, me Hearties!) But when i discovered Spotify, i was sold. In my mind Spotify made the perfect music streaming service. It's easy to use and supports all devices. It's very rare to find a song which they haven't on their service (beside minor remixs and small youtubers) Availability is one of the strong points of Spotify. Plus they have a ton of playlist, which is where i find a lot of new music. If the record labels began to do the same shit as the movie companies  already do with video streaming service, one of the strong points of spotify will be gone.

I can guarantee that a lot of people wouldn't go back to the old ways of buying albums, mostly because only 2-3 of the songs are good anyway. For me this is something i hoped we had gone past. As an example I never saw Itunes as a variable option, because you would still have to pay for every single song. Which is not an option for me(i have aaaa lot of songs on my spotify account). Especially students will understand why.

I payed for Spotify for 4 years because i just want a easy way to find and get music without paying for every single song. Taking that away and i know which alternative i will use.

Apple you lost, take it as a man and stop this backstabbing. You are hurting the persons which actually pay for legal options.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

What I don't get is how Spotify is bad and somehow netflix and any other tv subscription is good.

And how about radio, they play songs for free for years.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

What I don't get is how Spotify is bad and somehow netflix and any other tv subscription is good.

I mostly think it's because Spotify has almost total dominates in the music streaming market. Which is a market Apple want's a bite of (get it ;) )

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

The point of Spotify was to make a lot of music bundled together cheap and easy to access.

Now that not all (major) music will be on that site, it will be more convenient to straight up pirate it.

Or just use YouTube, because all songs will be on there

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The point of Spotify was to make a lot of music bundled together cheap and easy to access.

Now that not all (major) music will be on that site, it will be more convenient to straight up pirate it.

Spotify is about as annoying to use to pirate songs as youtube. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I'm not sure what you mean with the first line, but radio has been free for years now because they throw commercials at you the entire time.

It's just crazy annoying.. where I live, every 3-4 songs we get a commercial. It is even more ridiculous than TV

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Well i actually don't like youtube as a music source. For me Spotify is a lot more convenient 

I'm not sure what you mean with the first line, but radio has been free for years now because they throw commercials at you the entire time.

It's just crazy annoying.. where I live, every 3-4 songs we get a commercial. It is even more ridiculous than TV

spotify has ads too.

Spoiler

I have considered spotify premium. And honestly, because of my music taste (metal) I wouldn't be affected that much by apple's shenanigans. But the reason I haven't fully committed to buying into spotify premium is that they go too far with their scheme to get you to premium: I understand inserting adds while I'm playing like a radio station but skipping nor not playing the songs I want to listen is a bit too much. I just don't think I wanna be in business with a company that pulls off that kind of crap.

Which brings me to my point: I am still an ad block user even here on LTT even though I had em white listed for a good while, mainly because they committed the same sin every single add company falls into, it went too fucking far. I started seeing 40 minute telenovelas video adds and other full volume autoplay videos. Yes I know Linus and co. would appreciate me reporting them and waiting for them to sort it out with their add provider, but it's always gonna be a fucking cat and mouse game and I'm sorry to say but I much rather click "adblock, enable for this site" again and be done with it.

Not only that but it is also a case of you turning me off of doing the "right thing" so to speak by going too far and obnoxious with the negative reinforcement. Spotify and youtube adds adhere to the same philosophy of free to play mobile games: Punish the free player until they pay. I am not playing ball with anybody they can fuck off and go out of business if that is their attitude, no offense of course.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Here is the problem I have with people paying for Spotify in general...

YOU CAN GET XBOX MUSIC, GOOGLE MUSIC, OR ANY OTHER SERVICE FOR THE SAME PRICE!!!

Xbox Music is what I use because it was the first service like this (back when it was Zune Music). You pay $10 a month and you get to download the music, listen to it offline, OR you can just stream the music. It will work on up to 5 devices (but only 3 of any single kind. For example you can only use 3 Windows desktops, 3 Xboxs, 3 Phones and so on, but only 5 total devices).

So Spotify is a inferior product compared to other options out there. My argument is to hell with Spotify all together, if you wanted to listen to random songs then Pandora or XMRadio is a better choice, if you want specific songs, then Xbox Music is the way to go.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

snip

I also hate ad's which is one of the reason  i pay for Spotify. I never understood how people can use Spotify free.

YOU CAN GET XBOX MUSIC, GOOGLE MUSIC, OR ANY OTHER SERVICE FOR THE SAME PRICE!!!

Xbox Music is what I use because it was the first service like this (back when it was Zune Music). You pay $10 a month and you get to download the music, listen to it offline, OR you can just stream the music. It will work on up to 5 devices (but only 3 of any single kind. For example you can only use 3 Windows desktops, 3 Xboxs, 3 Phones and so on, but only 5 total devices).

So Spotify is a inferior product compared to other options out there. My argument is to hell with Spotify all together, if you wanted to listen to random songs then Pandora or XMRadio is a better choice, if you want specific songs, then Xbox Music is the way to go.

You can also listen to Spotify Offline with Premium. One thing i also really like about Spotify is their Windows application, intead of a browser version or windows app.

I honestly don't get your argument for saying that Spotify is a inferior product.

spotify has ads too.

The free version yeah, not the paid version right?

And I believe the free version has like 30 second ads and the radio has 2-4 minute ads. 

Well i actually don't like youtube as a music source. For me Spotify is a lot more convenient 

All the music I want is on YouTube and not all is on Spotify.

Not all is actually legit from the music artists, but much of it is. YouTube is very much convenient for me because playlists. 

I have considered spotify premium. And honestly, because of my music taste (metal) I wouldn't be affected that much by apple's shenanigans. But the reason I haven't fully committed to buying into spotify premium is that they go too far with their scheme to get you to premium: I understand inserting adds while I'm playing like a radio station but skipping nor not playing the songs I want to listen is a bit too much. I just don't think I wanna be in business with a company that pulls off that kind of crap.

Which brings me to my point: I am still an ad block user even here on LTT even though I had em white listed for a good while, mainly because they committed the same sin every single add company falls into, it went too fucking far. I started seeing 40 minute telenovelas video adds and other full volume autoplay videos. Yes I know Linus and co. would appreciate me reporting them and waiting for them to sort it out with their add provider, but it's always gonna be a fucking cat and mouse game and I'm sorry to say but I much rather click "adblock, enable for this site" again and be done with it.

Not only that but it is also a case of you turning me off of doing the "right thing" so to speak by going too far and obnoxious with the negative reinforcement. Spotify and youtube adds adhere to the same philosophy of free to play mobile games: Punish the free player until they pay. I am not playing ball with anybody they can fuck off and go out of business if that is their attitude, no offense of course.

I turned off adblock for YouTube for a month and turned it on again, because the ads are just terrible.

Very loud terrible music, horrible visuals (bright flashing lights and stuff), just terrible commercials..

I have AdBlock turned off here, but the ads are sometimes weird here too.. Video commercials and autoplaying sounds..

Xbox music is clearly for peasants and Google music lacks the student discount that I use for Spotify to get it cheaper. Makes Spotify superior to those. 

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

And I believe the free version has like 30 second ads and the radio has 2-4 minute ads. 

well you have to realise that spotify also has way more reach than your local radio stations, so their 30 seconds make more money than those 4 minutes.

Spoiler

All the music I want is on YouTube and not all is on Spotify.

Not all is actually legit from the music artists, but much of it is. YouTube is very much convenient for me because playlists. 

I turned off adblock for YouTube for a month and turned it on again, because the ads are just terrible.

Very loud terrible music, horrible visuals (bright flashing lights and stuff), just terrible commercials..

I have AdBlock turned off here, but the ads are sometimes weird here too.. Video commercials and autoplaying sounds..

Aye I just feel like I walked into a car dealership in the middle of the desert and I'm immediately harassed by 20 different salesmen simultaneously.

i-immediately-regret-this-decision.jpg

-------

Current Rig

-------

Premium has no ads. It's only the free one.

well you have to realise that spotify also has way more reach than your local radio stations, so their 30 seconds make more money than those 4 minutes.

I was just saying radio is 'free' because they serve so much commercials :P

Premium has no ads. It's only the free one.

Would be weird if premium had ads too

So off of what you said, seems as thought Xbox Music is identical to Spotify. And for me and any other college student Spotify is only $5 ;)

So off of what you said, seems as thought Xbox Music is identical to Spotify. And for me and any other college student Spotify is only $5 ;)

Not even close to Spotify. Xbox music has a cloud side of itself that no one else does. If you have any music DRM or DRM free, it will upload it to the cloud and you'll have it on all your devices ready to go.

Not to include a larger music selection, and the ecosystem blows all other 3rd party solutions out of the water.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

A couple things.

1. I am happy to pay for something as long as certain specifications are met:

A. It is easy to access

B. It's reasonable prices

C. No strings attached

2. Don't hurt the people who who are legal and pay you.

A. I believe in voting with your pocket.

B. The boss is the person with the money

3. I do not believe in pirating, does not mean I don't do it.

A. I have downloaded content because the original bought content is drm

B. It's the only way to get it

C. Too many hoops to jump through in order to be legal.

I just want content to available and reasonable priced without proprietary programming or system. If I buy a movie, I want it to be drm free. If I buy a game, let me attach it to steam instead of having to use your crap program, uplay/origin. I believe big companies could have greater sales if they listened to their customers instead of their stockholders and board members. Everyone there is drinking the same piss coolaid. I reflect these action by what I buy. I pay for for spotify premium. I've given money to steam. I've thrown paychecks at star citizen. I do not think big business are evil but I do believe big business who sell intangible content and royaly screwed the system and people have lost their trust.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I use Pandora. What is Spotify? Is it similar?

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I use Pandora. What is Spotify? Is it similar?

Spotify is the biggest music streaming service out there. You either pay or go with the very limited free version. 

You could say that Spotify is a bigger version of Pandora. We actually have pandora in spotify, though it's just called radio. With Spotify you can listen to almost every song you can think of (30 + mio songs) and make unlimited playlist which you can listen to offline (premium only)

Right now as a new user you can get it for 0,99 dollars for 3 month https://www.spotify.com/us/

Not even close to Spotify. Xbox music has a cloud side of itself that no one else does. If you have any music DRM or DRM free, it will upload it to the cloud and you'll have it on all your devices ready to go.

Not to include a larger music selection, and the ecosystem blows all other 3rd party solutions out of the water.

I can add music from my computer to Spotify and it will sync across all devices.

It is quite close actually, only that Spotify doesn't have the cloud function (not to my knowledge anyway). I've used both for quite a bit and I prefer Spotify more mainly because the app experience across several different devices with different OS (OSX, WP, Android, Windows) are really seamless and also I get student discount for the premium version.

I can always upload my own songs to OneDrive and just stream em from there anyway.