NVIDIA Pascal officially called PK100 and PK104 w/ HBM2

BiG StroOnZ

Lol @ all the people thinking AMD is going to "disappear" or "go bankrupt" or that they are "so far behind" when it comes to GPUs. Oh ye of ignorance and little knowledge... :P

This forum is laughably biased.

AMD is bringing the first HBM GPUS  . MUST BE BEHIND RIGHT? RIGHT GUISE ?

I dont even know where some of these comments are based other than  ignorance.

Until they bring out the new GPU then yes they actually are behind. And its the same for CPU's.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

It's becoming annoying, really. I've said it in other threads; there's a distinct double-standard when it comes to Nvidia and AMD where Nvidia can do no wrong and AMD can do no right. Objectivity is completely thrown out the window. I really don't understand this fanboyism that's becoming more prominent among the community. I can understand having a preference to one brand or another, but this is way beyond that. It is, as you said, ignorance. There's no other word for it. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Until they bring out the new GPU then yes they actually are behind. And its the same for CPU's.

AMD is nowhere near as far behind in GPUs as they are in CPUs. The more I see benchmarks and comparisons between the 290/X and 970/980, the less I am impressed with the 970/980 - given how much "newer" they are and how much more they cost (especially the 980).

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

AMD is bringing the first HBM GPUS . MUST BE BEHIND RIGHT? RIGHT GUISE ?

I dont even know where some of these comments are based other than ignorance.

Well they are currently behind. They haven't brought any HBM gpus yet. As far as the here and now is concerned, Nvidia is still top dog. In the future, this could very well change, and I expect it to. But we could both be wrong, it can go any direction from here.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

AMD is nowhere near as far behind in GPUs as they are in CPUs. The more I see benchmarks and comparisons between the 290/X and 970/980, the less I am impressed with the 970/980 - given how much "newer" they are and how much more they cost (especially the 980).

Nvidia didn't get the memo about memory bandwidth-which is why AMD stomps them at 4K (vRAM permitting-the R9 290X 8GB is the most realistic GPU for multi GPU's at 4K).

PMSL

AMD is competitive on GPUs but their CPUs are fucking atrocious BUT AMD is falling behind on marketshare for both. 

People say its because Intel and Nvidia have so many fanboys that they get so many sales. The real answer is much simpler - Intel and Nvidia pump out new products on a consistent basis and they let consumers know new products are available. Not "new products are coming". New products are HERE. NOW. 

That is GOLD for getting business, people like new things - even holier than thou mustard race members. Everyone wants the newest thing. AMD is NOT providing the newest thing, and they wonder why their sales aren't what they should be, at least for GPUs. 

For CPUs the answer is much simpler. When i3s are beating out your 6 and 8 core chips for most tasks that most people want, along with thoroughly modern motherboards on thoroughly modern chipsets...but thats a resource issue. AMD has dick all to spend on the level that Intel and Nvidia now spend and they need to figure that one out fast. 

AMD is competitive on GPUs but their CPUs are fucking atrocious BUT AMD is falling behind on marketshare for both. 

People say its because Intel and Nvidia have so many fanboys that they get so many sales. The real answer is much simpler - Intel and Nvidia pump out new products on a consistent basis and they let consumers know new products are available. Not "new products are coming". New products are HERE. NOW. 

That is GOLD for getting business, people like new things - even holier than thou mustard race members. Everyone wants the newest thing. AMD is NOT providing the newest thing, and they wonder why their sales aren't what they should be, at least for GPUs. 

For CPUs the answer is much simpler. When i3s are beating out your 6 and 8 core chips for most tasks that most people want, along with thoroughly modern motherboards on thoroughly modern chipsets...but thats a resource issue. AMD has dick all to spend on the level that Intel and Nvidia now spend and they need to figure that one out fast. 

AMD needs their own version of Steve Jobs. He managed to pull off the kind of marketing AMD really needs.

PMSL

That's not the only thing the lower quality control ads to it.

Nvidia never makes game updates on beta drivers which AMD does quiet often and the stock cooler is on a complete different level.

The stock cooler is very important as the reviews will be based on it and a good looking stock cooler will increase the perceived value.

I'm sure that people are willing to pay at least $50 more for an Nvidia card over the AMD card even with the same GPU performance.

This actually looks like it costs hundreds of dollars:

ref-1b.jpg

This on the other hand looks like a cheap toy and not an expensive high end GPU:

264o_290x.jpg

RTX2070OC 

Nvidia didn't get the memo about memory bandwidth-which is why AMD stomps them at 4K (vRAM permitting-the R9 290X 8GB is the most realistic GPU for multi GPU's at 4K).

Yeah, there are many different ways go about looking at the current GPU battle and honestly, I'm just sitting back looking at this as objectively as I can. But I find myself correcting and defending more comments directed at AMD than Nvidia. There's definitely more unwarranted hostility towards AMD than Nvidia, overall, and the only reason I can come up with to explain it is simply fanboys slinging poo.

Speaking to everyone; Yes, the 980 is an overall better, more advanced GPU than the 290x. But the difference (performance wise) is not that significant and AMD is not "way behind" as some like to think/claim.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

Fix that stock cooler AMD.  Make the guys at the cooling division of Nvidia work.  They haven't worked a bit since the Titan release :P.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Lol @ all the people thinking AMD is going to "disappear" or "go bankrupt" or that they are "so far behind" when it comes to GPUs. Oh ye of ignorance and little knowledge... :P

You may want to examine the structure of AMD's debt. It leveraged every financial trick in the book and hasn't paid a cent on the ATI buyout, but at the end of 2018 it comes due in 5 payments, 1 per quarter. 2.4 billion over 5 quarters would severely hurt Microsoft, let alone AMD.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Poor game programming more than anything else. Anyone who knows his or her way around a profiler can show you games waste GPU resources in atrocious ways. Bandwidth is a non-issue in gaming, whereas both it and PCIe are the bottlenecks for Scientific Computing. The 980 beats out the 290X in 4K nearly across the board with a half-wide bus.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

You may want to examine the structure of AMD's debt. It leveraged every financial trick in the book and hasn't paid a cent on the ATI buyout, but at the end of 2018 it comes due in 5 payments, 1 per quarter. 2.4 billion over 5 quarters would severely hurt Microsoft, let alone AMD.

So AMD might have caused themselves to go bankrupt.

PMSL

So AMD might have cause themselves to go bankrupt.

Intel's holding itself back as much as it can while staying ahead of IBM and SPARC. I wouldn't be surprised if Kirzanich decided to restructure AMD's debt portion to Intel to let it pay back over a longer period. JP Morgan holds 40% of the liability, and Intel backed the other 60%. It's a thorny situation to say the least.

Don't worry, nVidia will find some way to not get any benefit from HBM, then publicly denounce it as "unworkable".

Like they did with GDDR4/GDDR5 just because AMD/ATI used it first.

So AMD might have caused themselves to go bankrupt.

AMD is down below 50% remaining of their total debt. AMD also threw another $500 million towards their debt this May. With the lineup of competitive products they've announced for 2016 their debt will more than likely dissipate between now and 2020 as the company projected. There's no absolute deadline for all of their debt (it's broken into small chunks of around $50 million) although they are on a time crunch trying to pay it off to avoid higher interest rates. They only owe around $2.5 billion now so true profitable revenue is finally on the horizon. Although they want to at least achieve profitability by the end of 2H 2015.

Don't worry, nVidia will find some way to not get any benefit from HBM, then publicly denounce it as "unworkable".

Like they did with GDDR4/GDDR5 just because AMD/ATI used it first.

AMD is down below 50% remaining of their total debt. AMD also threw another $500 million towards their debt this May. With the lineup of competitive products they've announced for 2016 their debt will more than likely dissipate between now and 2020 as the company projected. There's no absolute deadline for all of their debt (it's broken into small chunks of around $50 million) although they are on a time crunch trying to pay it off to avoid higher interest rates. They only owe around $2.5 billion now so true profitable revenue is finally on the horizon. Although they want to at least achieve profitability by the end of 2H 2015.

GDDR4 failed on its own merits. When neither Micron nor Samsung want near it with a 20 foot stick, that should be your signal to abandon the idea immediately.

Also, I'm not sure what financial analysts you've been reading from, but AMD's debt is not due in $50 million payments through 2020. Forbes, WSJ, and others have written very pointed and detailed analyses of AMD's debt situation, and the picture's pretty grim if Zen is anything less than a smashing success. The one saving grace may very well be that Intel holds the majority of the debt bonds and JP Morgan doesn't, because unlike JP Morgan, Intel's not about to kneecap AMD just to collect blood from stones as the saying goes.