Free gaming PC for a friend

Tim

Hi everyone!

I've put together this little rig for a friend who is currently at uni. He'll be finishing soon with little to no money, but really wants to get into PC gaming with me. I had a few bits left over from previous builds, either because I didn't like them or just never got around to using them, so made a bit of a Frankenstein. 

UttDUud.jpg

And here it is...

• Intel E6600
  • MSI R7850
  • Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L
  • 4GB of Kingston 1066 DDR2
  • WD Green 1TB hard drive
  • Corsair CX600
  •  Antec Kulher 620
  • Fractal design core 1000
  • Windows 8.1

It does run some games on low settings ok, but I really need to boost this up to decent performance in most games if I can. 

I think I just need a Q6600 and an SSD to get it going, but my mobo might hold be back. The max ram speed is 667mhz, so it bottle necks my ram, and it's only sata II. Would it be worth spending the extra money on a better mobo?

If so, any suggestions please? I can seem to find much that 775 and has support for the 1066 ram and sata III in the UK

Cheers!

Tim

Runs at 21C while browsing the web! 

It was that cooler or no cooler though, think I picked the better option  :lol:

Wait, your friend is about to finish uni, will have basically NO money, yet instead of getting a job and eventually getting a job in the profession he studied for he decides he'll start PC Gaming???

What a waste of good education.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Wait, your friend is about to finish uni, will have basically NO money, yet instead of getting a job and eventually getting a job in the profession he studied for he decides he'll start PC Gaming???

What a waste of good education.

Please tell me thats a joke...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Please tell me thats a joke...

Yeah, it is :)

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

I've wanted to buy some friends computers too lol. I think that looks pretty good for some oldish games or lower powered ones. It can probably be upgraded once he gets some money too.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

I'm thinking just give it him as is, then when he has some cash swap out the mobo cpu and ram for something half decent from the amd camp. Perhaps an FX4300. Should get the lot for around £160 roughly 

I'm thinking just give it him as is, then when he has some cash swap out the mobo cpu and ram for something half decent from the amd camp. Perhaps an FX4300. Should get the lot for around £160 roughly 

Just try and find a Q6600 for like $30 on ebay or something haha.

^_^

I realy like your giffy cat :)! P.S " i know its not a cat"

Groomlake Authority

Q6600 is a must I just upgraded a friend from the E6600 to the Q6600 and they boost is fantastic 

Or get one of the newer 45nm quads.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.