R9 290, 290x or GTX 970?

Every one will say 970 and give no reason some will be an AMD fanboy and say 290x because Vram but in all honesty if anyone says that there a fanboy. I like the 970 more because it is quiter less power less noise and can overclock higher making it more supreme that the 290x. People say all this crap about the vram but I play on a 970 1440p 2xmsaa and it doesn't get past 3gb of vram. Gtx 970 also comes with WITCHER 3 AND BATMAN ARKAM KNIGHT. Also if you get games when they launch AMD drivers tend to be crashy. Just my 2 cents.

well all your arguements also look very fanboyish to me to be honnest lol.

So i realy dont get your point with that statement.

well all your arguements also look very fanboyish to me to be honnest lol.

So i realy dont get your point with that statement.

GTX 970 because overlocking=more performance cool free games and the vRAM won't matter much. just my opinion seems like your on team red.

i have 290s great cards but the 970s weren't out when i bought mine go with 970's the 290's are HOT cards i mean like Sahara desert hot

seems like your on team red.

Well that looks a bit like someone wo wants to start a team red / team green fan war i guess?

I will say, that i totaly dont give any shit about that in general.

The only thing that matters to me, is best performance for my dollar.

I simply gave my opinnion which card i would choose and why.

Just based on factual hardware knowledge that i have.

The 3.5GB vram issue, is still an hardware issue that is there, and its NOT fixable.

I have seen hightextured games, allready suffer from it at 1080p let alone 1440p and up.

I dont say that the GTX970 is a bad card, cause its basicly a decent performing card for the money.

But the 3.5GB vram issue, and the way Nvidia handled that "marketing failure" lets the card down a bit in my opinnion.

Especialy if you look at the newest AAA games, 4GB is slowly starting to become the sweetspot Vram amount especialy at 1440p, so the GTX970 is not future proofing 1440p beast, as Nvidia was marketing it wenn it was launched

Its still a factual rip off no matter how you look at it.

Well that looks a bit like a fanboy wo wants to start a team red / team green fan war i guess?

I will say, that i totaly dont give any shit about that in general.

The only thing that matters to me, is best performance for my dollar.

I simply gave my opinnion which card i would choose and why.

Just based on factual hardware knowledge that i have.

The 3.5GB vram issue, is still an hardware issue that is there.

I have seen hightextured games, allready suffer from it at 1080p let alone 1440p and up.

I dont say that the GTX970 is a bad card, cause its basicly a decent performing card for the money, but the 3.5GB vram issue, and the way Nvidia handled that "marketing failure" lets the card down a bit in my opinnion.

Cool I don't mean any trouble I just said I like this card more for this reason you don't have to think I am starting a war  :lol:. Though even in many top graphics card showdown they would skip the  R9 290x.  http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-5.html. Anyways I'm gonna wait for my free games.

Cool I don't mean any trouble I just said I like this card more for this reason you don't have to think I am starting a war  :lol:. Though even in many top graphics card showdown they would skip the  R9 290x.  http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-5.html. Anyways I'm gonna wait for my free games.

Well there is no problem realy. :)

i would go with a 290X, you choose for the GTX970, both diffrent opinnions, both vallid.

In the end all what matters is, that topic starter makes the right decission, and that he is happy with the decission he has made.

Cause i dont realy care which card he ends up with, i dont sit on his chair playing his games you know ;)

I would go with a Sapphire 290X Vapor X, or Msi 290X Lightning, or maybe Sapphire 290X TriX OC.

You would go with GTX970, all fine to me.

Well there is no problem realy. :)

i would go with a 290X, you choose for the GTX970, both diffrent opinnions, both vallid.

In the end all what matters is, that topic starter makes the right decission, and that he is happy with the decission he has made.

Cause i dont realy care which card he ends up with, i dont sit on his chair playing his games you know ;)

Exactly though the lowest 290x is ~$270  The lowest decent 970 is ~$320 he did say he wanted low as posible so if he doesn't want to overclock. Doesn't care about noise power and heat the 290x is fine great.

dat categorization 

If you have the PSU for it, I'd go for the 290/X. Between those two it would depend on your build. There are definitely cases where it would be worth it to get a 290 over a 290X and use the money you save to improve something else in your build.

"Rawr XD"

if he doesn't want to overclock. Doesn't care about noise power and heat the 290x is fine great.

lol why? just explain me just why?

If you buy a decent 290X like a Sapphire 290X Vapor X, Msi 290X Lightning, Sapphire 290X TriX OC.

They are not running much hotter then the average GTX970, they are also nothing loader.

About power consumption sure, the 290X consumes a littlebit more power.

But it highly depends on which particular versions of cards we talk about here.

The whole powerconsumption blalala totaly makes no sense to me, cause its not mindblowing.

a decent 970 can easaly hit 180W / 200W, The Sapphire 290X TriX OC uses arround 224W un full load.

So not mindblowing to me. :)

970. ran a memory test to check all 4gb of ram and it only had minor stuttering. atleast in msi kombustor

lol why? just explain me just why?

If you buy a decent 290X like a Sapphire 290X Vapor X, Msi 290X Lightning, Sapphire 290X TriX OC.

They are not running much hotter then the average GTX970, they are also nothing loader.

About power consumption sure, the 290X consumes a littlebit more power.

But it highly depends on which particular versions of cards we talk about here.

The whole powerconsumption blalala totaly makes no sense to me.

Yeah though at that price point the gtx 970 is just better. AMD card are louder no zero fan blade use more power and run HOTTER THAN NVIDIA CARDS.

Yeah though at that price point the gtx 970 is just better. AMD card are louder no zero fan blade use more power and run HOTTER THAN NVIDIA CARDS.

Bullshit.

AMD card are louder no zero fan blade use more power and run HOTTER THAN NVIDIA CARDS.

jesus-facepalm.jpg

"Rawr XD"

Bullshit.

jesus-facepalm.jpg

So your saying AMD card use less power less heat and less noise.  :D

290X any day of the week.

vram limitation on the GTX970, can also become an issue on 1080p, in high texture games like shadow of morder.

Or heavy modded skyrim.

So yeah, 290X my vote.

If you don't even have the card how will you know?

So your saying AMD card use less power less heat and less noise.  :D

Noise depends on cooler not on GPU manufacturer. 

"Rawr XD"

Noise depends on cooler not on GPU manufacturer. 

Yet its nothing compared to zero fan blade technology meaning thats its makes more noise. ;)

Yet its nothing compared to zero fan blade technology meaning thats its makes more noise. ;)

What are you talking about? Any good graphics card of today will be inaudible under low load over your case, CPU, and PSU fans anyways.

I've had a Sapphire Tri-X R9 290X and, Asus Strix 970 my current Gigabyte G1 970 in my current PC, without changing any other components. The noise difference under is not noticeable.

0db fan mode is honestly a marketing gimmick, if anything.

"Rawr XD"

If you don't even have the card how will you know?

how do you know if i dont have any of these cards? lol.

the only thing i will say about this, if you wanne start a discussion with me about hardware.

Make sure you realy know your stuff damm well lol :P

What are you talking about? Any good graphics card of today will be inaudible under low load over your case, CPU, and PSU fans anyways.

I've had a Sapphire Tri-X R9 290X and, Asus Strix 970 my current Gigabyte G1 970 in my current PC, without changing any other components. The noise difference under is not noticeable.

0db fan mode is honestly a marketing gimmick, if anything.

Whats the reason you switched to the 970 if they have the same price to performance?

I would argue that even at higher resolution it won't matter the 4gb vram at least not with these cards .

What I mean is : games that demand the 4gb vram these cards are not fast enough for them anyway . So ppl should stop whining about the 3.5gb

If u looking for single card solution ****

Whats the reason you switched to the 970 if they have the same price to performance?

I put the 290X into another rig that I had (with a i7-920), and gave that rig to my boyfriend for Christmas while I went back to the 7870 that I had in my Phenom rig.

Earlier this spring he got me a Strix 970, but it had hideous coil while, so returned it and got the G1 instead, and have been much happier ever since.

"Rawr XD"

Good job generalizing it.

My friend got a 970 Jetstream and i have 290x TwinFrozr. On stock fan profile his card hit 80c and my card hit 75c, both is silence. When we both adjust the fan curve to hit 70c, his card is much louder until i can't hear mine. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Dual 290s haha. Bought two for $430

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

Get whatever is cheapest, they are all good enough for 1080p

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1