1 more monitor?

TheMastr13
Go to solution Solved by TheModMonster,

How about on top of the 2 monitors? That would be better. But you may have to spend more money on a stand... 

So, right now, I have 2 dell 1680x1050 monitors (model is irrelevant). I recently received another dell monitor, it's the same height as the other 2, but it's 4:3 with a resolution of 1280x1024. Should I add that monitor into my setup, with it between my other 2 16:9 monitors? It seems like it would be pretty cool to me, but I don't know if the resolution would be weird. I am asking because it will cost me $30 in adapters (Im on am mac lol) and I'm on a tight budget so I want to know for sure before i spend the money.

I'm pixel hungry

-TheMastr13

You know that guy that games on a MacBook? I'm that guy.

How about on top of the 2 monitors? That would be better. But you may have to spend more money on a stand... 

My PC/ CPU: Intel i5-4690k with ColerMaster Hyper Evo 212 / Motherboard: Asus Z97-AR GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti / OS: Windows8.1 / RAM: G.Skill Ares Series 2x4 1600Mhz / Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM Optical Drive: ASUS 24B1ST / Network: TP-Link WN881ND /////////////////////////// If I fail to respond to your questions, please message me! Thank you

I could go linus-style and ghetto-mount it

On top and remove the bezels haha

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

I could go linus-style and ghetto-mount it

lol. That is what I would do.

My PC/ CPU: Intel i5-4690k with ColerMaster Hyper Evo 212 / Motherboard: Asus Z97-AR GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti / OS: Windows8.1 / RAM: G.Skill Ares Series 2x4 1600Mhz / Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM Optical Drive: ASUS 24B1ST / Network: TP-Link WN881ND /////////////////////////// If I fail to respond to your questions, please message me! Thank you

lol. That is what I would do.

looks like i got something to do for the next couple hours :)

So, right now, I have 2 dell 1680x1050 monitors (model is irrelevant). I recently received another dell monitor, it's the same height as the other 2, but it's 4:3 with a resolution of 1280x1024. Should I add that monitor into my setup, with it between my other 2 16:9 monitors? It seems like it would be pretty cool to me, but I don't know if the resolution would be weird. I am asking because it will cost me $30 in adapters (Im on am mac lol) and I'm on a tight budget so I want to know for sure before i spend the money.

I'm pixel hungry

-TheMastr13

It will certainly work. Whether it will look good? I don't know. If the height of the monitors are very close, then it should look fine.

The image should not be distorted or anything.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

What about to sell all those monitors and buying something like 1440p monitor? You have 3 monitors but they aren't even 1080p... so I'm not sure.

What about to sell all those monitors and buying something like 1440p monitor? You have 3 monitors but they aren't even 1080p... so I'm not sure.

@Sotti those monitors, if we're going to use an equivalent, would be "1050p". They're widescreen 16:10 monitors, and are actually pretty close in resolution to 1080p. The pixel width is just a little short (1680 vs 1920), but the height is almost dead on.

Certainly, he could sell all three monitors for better ones. And that is the "ideal" solution, but that will cost a ton of money. Used monitors don't sell for very much - especially older 16:10 ones like the ones he has.

Besides, if it'll work, and the OP is satisfied, then why bother spending the unnecessary cash?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

@Sotti those monitors, if we're going to use an equivalent, would be "1050p". They're widescreen 16:10 monitors, and are actually pretty close in resolution to 1080p. The pixel width is just a little short (1680 vs 1920), but the height is almost dead on.

Certainly, he could sell all three monitors for better ones. And that is the "ideal" solution, but that will cost a ton of money. Used monitors don't sell for very much - especially older 16:10 ones like the ones he has.

Besides, if it'll work, and the OP is satisfied, then why bother spending the unnecessary cash?

Yeah, I understand that. I just wanted to point out that he might be considering going from 3 monitors to one good one, sometimes it's difficult to say if you haven't tried a new good monitor. I have some experience with this. I have had configurations from 1 up to 4 monitors and I've been thru a lot of resolutions from 1024p up to 4K. In my case I'd prefer a good 1440p monitor rather than 3 1050p monitors (the last 1050p monitor I bought was in 2003 for a laptop)... but that's up to the OP as you said.

Yeah, I understand that. I just wanted to point out that he might be considering going from 3 monitors to one good one, sometimes it's difficult to say if you haven't tried a new good monitor. I have some experience with this. I have had configurations from 1 up to 4 monitors and I've been thru a lot of resolutions from 1024p up to 4K. In my case I'd prefer a good 1440p monitor rather than 3 1050p monitors (the last 1050p monitor I bought was in 2003 for a laptop)... but that's up to the OP as you said.

Agreed, it varies and especially for what you use it for.

At home, I use a single 20" 1680 x 1050 monitor as my primary, and a 32" 1080p HDTV as a secondary (Mostly for youtube/netflix on my bed).

At work I'm using dual 22" 1680 x 1050 monitors. I cherry picked the best ones we had on hand for spares, and we didn't have any 1080p ones left.

I think my "idea" workstation setup would be a single 21:9 1440p monitor, flanked by dual 16:9 1449p monitors that are height-matched (Or possibly just triple 21:9 1440p, but I'm not sure if that would be too much).

For gaming? Either the same as my workstation, or perhaps just triple 16:9 1440p.