Spray painting, safe?

TacticalTechy

Is it safe to spray paint my heatsink? I mean the top metal layer. Will it not melt at 40-50 degrees?

Is it safe to spray paint my heatsink? I mean the top metal layer. Will it not melt at 40-50 degrees?

It's pretty safe most general spray paints are good until >100C and they will start to bubble over long periods of time. You may affect performance slightly since you are coating your heatsink. What application are you planning to put this on?

Paint for brake calipers are a good choise. They can resist the heat. 

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

yup, shouldn't really matter if a thin layer, also you can use oven paint or other above if really worried 

I think most general use spray paints would be OK.  And no, it won't affect your temps in any meaningful way.  

Personally I think it's a great idea!  Air coolers are usually pretty ugly. Please post some pics once you are done so we can see it.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Any heat resistant paint will be fine, stove/oven/BBQ paint for example

Engine paint usually is what is used for heat sinks 

Hi there. Move along, n0thing to see here.

Linus did this in one of his videos, and i'm pretty sure he said what kind of spray paint he used.

See here: https://youtu.be/vbDiSMQ_L_k?t=3m11s

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

Just check the specs of the paint regarding temp usage.

Thanks guys. I'm spray painting to simply match my setup :) it's just normal run of the mill spray paint. I'm only painting the top metal layer ( the thin plate on the top)

I think most general use spray paints would be OK. And no, it won't affect your temps in any meaningful way.

Personally I think it's a great idea! Air coolers are usually pretty ugly. Please post some pics once you are done so we can see it.

I shall.... :D

Thanks guys. I'm spray painting to simply match my setup :) it's just normal run of the mill spray paint. I'm only painting the top metal layer ( the thin plate on the top)

Oh if your painting just the top layer nothing to worry about just mask off areas you don't want paint it.