I Switched to Dvorak (the chronicles of a layout change)

Boink

An an experiment, I decided to take the plunge by changing my keyboard layout to test if (once you get used to it) Dvorak is really faster than QWERTY.

I've been using this layout for all of 20 minutes now and my first impressions are rather mixed.

I can honestly see how this layout can be faster: my fingers rarely leave the home row for more than one letter at a time and almost never stretch to reach further off keys. That said, I was reduced to "hunt and peck" for a while and I need to look almost constantly at the keyboard to ensure I don't mistype. Breaking muscle memory is hard! I'll post my typing test scores at the end of the day for both layouts.

Do any of you use Dvorak? When did you make the switch? How long did it take to adjust?

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

The problem with switching to dvorak is you have to know both because when you leave your house every other device uses qwerty.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Did you just swap the keys on your keyboard or got a new one altogether? I just recently heard about Dvorak and while I think it is interesting, I don't think I will switch to it any time soon (if at all)

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

The concept of switching to dvorak reminds me of this video by smartereveryday: 

Desktop: The Bluez | CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.5 ghz 1.296V | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: P8Z77 M-Pro | Memory: 16 GB 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX  

GPU: Asus GTX 780ti DirectCu II | HDD: Some Random Hitachi 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, 850 EVO 500GB | PSU: Rosewill Hive 750W | Case: Enermax Ostrog GT (Blue Ver.) 

Laptop: Razer Blade 14 2013 256GB

Unless you memorize both, which I simply can't/couldn't do with DVORAK, you're in a world of hurt, since at home it'll be dvorak, everywhere else you might use a keyboard is qwerty. Don't wanna lose the 100+ WPM speed I have on QWERTY.

Did you just swap the keys on your keyboard or got a new one altogether? I just recently heard about Dvorak and while I think it is interesting, I don't think I will switch to it any time soon (if at all)

I just switched the keys

Unless you memorize both, which I simply can't/couldn't do with DVORAK, you're in a world of hurt, since at home it'll be dvorak, everywhere else you might use a keyboard is qwerty. Don't wanna lose the 100+ WPM speed I have on QWERTY.

I plan on using both: QWERTY on my desktop and Dvorak on my laptop. Plus my typing speed on QWERTY is pretty slow anyway.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

I played typing games when I was younger with my hands covered, nothing ups WPM like practice. How did you change your layout? I've heard people talk about, but just never wanted to spend the time on fixing what is adequate.

Specs: Amd 1700x | NH-u12s | Asus crosshair hero vi | 2x8g Gskill flare x | Zotac 1080 | Samsung 960 EVO | Seasonic ssr-750GD | Thermaltake core x5 |

I switched to Dvorak in my 9th grade typing class because everyone was required to take it, I already typed at 90wpm with 99 accuracy so I had fun, I got up to 120wpm with 96 accuracy, but gaming was awkward to do and I ended up switching back, It took me about 2 weeks of exclusive Dvorak with spending about 30 minutes each day just typing up writing prompts for me to get an A in that class. I wish you luck on your quest to convert!

GPU - 2x GTX 970 g1 gaming (sli) CPU - I5 4690k 4.6Ghz Cooler - Kraken x61 PSU - Corsair ax760 RAM - 32gb Corsair vengeance pro 2400mhz Storage - 730 Series SSD 240gb Case - Phantek enthoo pro

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is an old thread, but I need some help.  I want to switch to DVORAK as well, but when I change to DVORAK in windows settings, it will still be in QWERTY.  I use the Logitech G710+, and I already checked the Software it comes with.  Can any of you think of another block that could be keeping it as a QWERTY keyboard?