Why the hell does everything in Europe cost so much?

Mouse-Potato

Just moved here from the US and.... Damn!!!

Everything is so damn expensive, and sometimes I can't even find some of the items that are sold in North America. Like a Define R4 for $130 or GTX 970's for $420~$450.

Is there a reason for this?

never really understood this. i guess it's from shipping taxes and stuff like that tough.

hell, pretty much everything is atleast 50 to 100 bucks more expensive out here! :(

Try living in Australia. Everything is way more expensive.

21% taxes on a lot of stuff

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Yea if you look at online shops it all looks cheaper, but I think on the US online shops they don't include the taxes (which they do in the EU shops)

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

VAT rates are commonly 20% or more. That's the main difference.

I'm in France and the country has literally been going to shit, stuff costs more and more but the minimum wage stays the same..

I guess the taxes do make everything cost that much more, I forgot that the prices here include tax and in the Us they don't.

VAT rates its the thing to blame also shipping prices affect making the prices go up from a domino effect and because of tha im Q.Q in my bed because i dont have money for new gpu gtx650 is not good for gaming but even low end high end gpus cost around 400€

VAT rates are commonly 20% or more. That's the main difference.

^^This... nuff said

Just moved here from the US and.... Damn!!!

Everything is so damn expensive, and sometimes I can't even find some of the items that are sold in North America. Like a Define R4 for $130 or GTX 970's for $420~$450.

Is there a reason for this?

there are 970s for $300 (pre tax)

define r5 for $100 (pre tax)

define r4 for $75 (pre tax)

where did you move?

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

well, you will never know how other people in other country live until you live in it.

so I guess... welcome to our norm?

South East Asia/Australia still worse though, specially with internet.

there are 970s for $300 (pre tax)

define r5 for $100 (pre tax)

define r4 for $75 (pre tax)

where did you move?

I'm in France atm.

The pc component sites here are LDLC.com and Materiel.net

Where do you find those prices?

*cough*US tax *cough*

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Yea if you look at online shops it all looks cheaper, but I think on the US online shops they don't include the taxes (which they do in the EU shops)

Some places here don't even have tax on buying goods (some states in the USA) it's great :D

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I'm in France atm.

The pc component sites here are LDLC.com and Materiel.net

Where do you find those prices?

I don't know any french price comparison sites ...

http://www.amazon.fr/PNY-GF970GTX4GEPB-graphique-GeForce-PCI-Express/dp/B00NTQ0B5G/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1430983477&sr=1-4&keywords=gtx+970

is still "only" $320 (if you scratch the VAT)

Some places here don't even have tax on buying goods (some states in the USA) it's great :D

and some states have shity healtcare, education and infrastructure.

FREEDOM!!!!

Wauw, now I wanna move to the US even more..

Can I ask? Why did you move to EU from NA? Sorry if I'm going too Personal

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Yeah like Oregon and Delaware I believe.

Taxes.

But you get a tradeoff in everything else in the country being better quality, food, health care etc.

Wauw, now I wanna move to the US even more..

Can I ask? Why did you move to EU from NA? Sorry if I'm going too Personal

The wife is french, they have good healthcare here, and the state pays for everything, even part of the rent. One of the reasons why the country is going to shit IMO.

The wife is french, they have good healthcare here, and the state pays for everything, even part of the rent. One of the reasons why the country is going to shit IMO.

Ah yea, that gool ol' free healthcare, I love it :P 

Well, glad to have you as a fellow european now, greetings from Belgium o/

I don't know any french price comparison sites ...

http://www.amazon.fr/PNY-GF970GTX4GEPB-graphique-GeForce-PCI-Express/dp/B00NTQ0B5G/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1430983477&sr=1-4&keywords=gtx+970

is still "only" $320 (if you scratch the VAT)

That's pretty good, but try and find a H440 for a decent price... They are worth their weight in gold!