cleaning thermal paste ?

nomnom123qwe

so basically my old cpu died i got a new one and bought the cooler master thermal paste the one i always use cause it is the only thermal paste from a an actual known company ;_; in my local community i also have some chinese ones laying around but i do not use them >.> 

so i just found out my old cpu died cause the cooler master thermal compound i use was conductive and went into the pins and friend the cpu .... so now i searched online and was able to find noctua nt-h1 

so i ordered it and will be delivered to me in a day or two 

but i also can not find any isopropyl alcohol or alcohol swabs in my area ... or online infact the only one i found are bottles in my local area with something Chinese written over them and saying isopropyl alchol written over it with a permanent marker and no concentration mentioned ... not even the shop keeper have any details 

so i always used tissues / micro fiber cloth and q tips only to clean my cpu but no matter how good i rub there was always some residue left in edges of the cooler and on the cpu itself ... but it did not matter much 

as i was always using the same thermal compound but now that i am gonna use noctua ... will it effect it somehow ? will it make it conductive as well ? 

can i use petrol to clean my cpu as i can not find anything else ... except those chinese isopropyl bottles //

thank u for ur time 

Depends on where you're living, almost every pharmacy that I know sells isopropyl alcohol. Any cleaning alcohol (without any added extras) should be fine, though I wouldn't try petrol...

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

What is wrong with Chinese Isopropyl alcohol?  Also if you are finding you are leaving residue on the edges of the cooler you are not doing it right.  Just work at it harder.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

If you can't find isopropyl alcohol you didn't look hard enough, it's a VERY common household item.

trust me i have looked hard enough its just that no one uses it here where i live so yeah no one has it 

if you got a radioshack nearby they sell a two process remover and cleaner for it.

nope 

Depends on where you're living, almost every pharmacy that I know sells isopropyl alcohol. Any cleaning alcohol (without any added extras) should be fine, though I wouldn't try petrol...

yeah i asked every pharmacy shops nearby i also called some which takes order and provide it to u if u pay in advance but apparently none of them were able to provide me with it 

Nail polish remover? Had the same problem and it worked fine for me. Just don't get one with lots of perfumes, and don't get it on the pcb

RIG:FX-6300@4.5GHz 1.4V with Hyper 212 evo with LTT NF-F12:MSI Overclockers R7 260X:4x4B Crucial Ballistix Sport:GA-970A-UD3P:1TB Seagate Brracuda & 120GB Crucial M500(OS and Programs)&Sandisk SSD PLUS(Games) In a Bitfenix Comrade with an NF-F12 as exhaust and OEM case fan as front intake

''time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time''

Nail polish remover? Had the same problem and it worked fine for me. Just don't get one with lots of perfumes, and don't get it on the pcb

Acetone (which is what nail polish remover usually is) is a lot more aggressive than isopropyl alcohol. It will most definitely remove the thermal compound, but it will likely also remove the text printed on the CPU and it will most definitely ruin the PCB if you have an "accident".

just don't use hydrogen peroxide

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

If the paste ended up on the pins you used WAY too much.

Only use a pea sized blob or a line the length of 2 grains of rice at MOST! A little goes a long way.

I once had no money to buy IPA so used a damp towel in conjunction with some force to wipe the paste off. Took a while, but I got there eventually.

Acetone (which is what nail polish remover usually is) is a lot more aggressive than isopropyl alcohol. It will most definitely remove the thermal compound, but it will likely also remove the text printed on the CPU and it will most definitely ruin the PCB if you have an "accident".

I knew it was bad but I was in a hurry at the time. AMD text survived I was was reasonably careful. I guess its a " it works but don't try it"

RIG:FX-6300@4.5GHz 1.4V with Hyper 212 evo with LTT NF-F12:MSI Overclockers R7 260X:4x4B Crucial Ballistix Sport:GA-970A-UD3P:1TB Seagate Brracuda & 120GB Crucial M500(OS and Programs)&Sandisk SSD PLUS(Games) In a Bitfenix Comrade with an NF-F12 as exhaust and OEM case fan as front intake

''time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time''

I knew it was bad but I was in a hurry at the time. AMD text survived I was was reasonably careful. I guess its a " it works but don't try it"

It's a "Works but you better be damn careful with it" :D

gassoline and a lighter

Delete System32

if you got a radioshack nearby they sell a two process remover and cleaner for it.

Don't know if you got the memo... Radio Shack filed for bankruptcy.

Isopropyl Alcohol + Toilet Paper.

Arctic MX4 = the size of pea.

Don't know if you got the memo... Radio Shack filed for bankruptcy.

nope... I live under a Rock

I think different regions have alternate names for Isopropyl Alcohol, for example I had to look long and hard for it - I found out it was available as a 95% solution named methylated spirits where I live. (It's slightly different but serves the same purpose).

You might be in a similar situation and skimming over it without realising.

well new egg internation shipping will cost me a fortune but

i was able to find both of these in a local eCommerce site so isopropyl 200 ml will cost me 2 $ while as articclean will cost me 11 $ for 60 ml 

i am not sure about quality of the isopropyl ...

i could also get alcohol swabs but it will be a 100 pack and will cost me around 5 $  so which one do u think i should buy ? 

also as far as thermal compound goes i already ordered noctua nt - h1 so is this one better ? or i should go with artic mx 4 ?

just use carburetor cleaner

I use it all the time....

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

I normally just use a cloth and wipe it all off xD
I saw in this topic that you can use nail polish remover? Is that effective without having troubles? xs