Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

ayy lmao, I saw this phone irl two days ago

samsung's designs are cringe

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

So.. all smartphones are cringe since they all look pretty much the same? :P 

I really like the Edge, finally we get something a bit different in the smartphone market...

I really like my sd card. wont be moving up to the 6. 

Blarg

Could you possibly repeat that using something that resembles English?

No card slot is a deal breaker for me.  

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

vessels it already :P

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

Could you possibly repeat that using something that resembles English?

No card slot is a deal breaker for me.  

English isn't my first language, I live in Australia

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Will there be a review of the s6 active version?

The one that's meant to have an SD card slot and removable battery.

This "review" is so awful. It's as if Linus paraphrased the reviews of the phone into a video and then maybe used the phone for a day. There's no indication of battery life AT ALL, there's no talk about how works as a phone- does it deliver a good phone experience on either side? Nothing. 

The s6 seems lackluster. They are pandering to the plebs who buy iphones with their non removable battery, no sd card expansion and nsa thumbprint verification, and they will buy it regardless. 

I know a buddy with an s5 edge, and they did a fantastic job with just one edge and the features they had with it. The s6 seems like they went with a gimicky with its half ass edges. 

And to add to my bitching I installed 5.0.1 on my s4 and it reminds me of iOS. Settings are a pain in the ass to get to and adjust with limited adjustability. 

The s6 seems lackluster. They are pandering to the plebs who buy iphones with their non removable battery, no sd card expansion and nsa thumbprint verification, and they will buy it regardless. 

I know a buddy with an s5 edge, and they did a fantastic job with just one edge and the features they had with it. The s6 seems like they went with a gimicky with its half ass edges. 

And to add to my bitching I installed 5.0.1 on my s4 and it reminds me of iOS. Settings are a pain in the ass to get to and adjust with limited adjustability. 

settings are a pain to adjust *it must be copying iOS* 

On one hand, the iPhone-ification of the Galaxy S is sad because the series used to be a reminder that people still care about serviceable, expandable devices, but dropping the user friendly features seems to be working out fantastically for Samsung.

On the other hand, I suppose I wouldn't be buying a flagship phone anyway and selling tech as fashion accessories at premium prices lets the illiterate masses put a lot of money into ARM architecture, process technology and software development which actual techies benefit from.

I personally really don't like the device. From a hardware perspective, the specs are good and it looks like it performs well. I don't know if you changed a display colour setting, Linus, but it looked like the saturation was turned up to 1,000,000.

As for touchwiz, it's still a terrible skin, and the first thing I'd do if I got the device would be to install something like cyanogenmod with its great privacy features.

I also think the ergonomics of the device are terrible. Why is the back of the phone flat?? Especially when the front is curved. I tried one at a local phone shop and I just hated the way it felt in my hand. The device was more comfortable to hold the other way round, which should never be right. If the back was curved as well, this would definitely be a device I would consider purchasing - if the curved screen didn't bug me either.

I think the normal S6 is a much better purchase.

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

settings are a pain to adjust *it must be copying iOS* 

It was just such a drastic change in menus and on screen buttons, it reminded me of when I was trying to find a setting on iOS. It was just buried underneath stupid shit. I cant even explain it in a nicer way, I never liked change and this was a change that rustled something deep within me. The drop down menu swiping from top to bottom pissed me off the most. 

Well lets talk about phones in general. The S6 Edge in my opinion isn't in the top three phones. To me it goes (in no particular order):

Google Nexus 5

iPhone 6 Plus

OnePlus One (soon to be OnePlus Two)

Can anyone explain how to change the back button and multi task button? I have a GS6 regular version. When I researched a bit it all told me I had to root.

The hell is an S5 Edge? You mean the Note Edge? The edge on the S6 is supposed to be more of a design aesthetic and immersion effect rather than adding gimmicky features. Sure, they exist, but I don't think that's the primary thing Samsung was going for.

I personally really don't like the device. From a hardware perspective, the specs are good and it looks like it performs well. I don't know if you changed a display colour setting, Linus, but it looked like the saturation was turned up to 1,000,000.

As for touchwiz, it's still a terrible skin, and the first thing I'd do if I got the device would be to install something like cyanogenmod with its great privacy features.

I also think the ergonomics of the device are terrible. Why is the back of the phone flat?? Especially when the front is curved. I tried one at a local phone shop and I just hated the way it felt in my hand. The device was more comfortable to hold the other way round, which should never be right. If the back was curved as well, this would definitely be a device I would consider purchasing - if the curved screen didn't bug me either.

I think the normal S6 is a much better purchase.

AMOLED are traditionally oversaturated, but I get the feeling Linus didn't have it on "Auto boost." Also, I really encourage you to try an S6 without the stock launcher; they really fixed up Touchwiz this time around. It's smooth, quick, and not nearly as obtrusive as previous versions (like Kitkat's). I barely notice it with Nova installed.

Well lets talk about phones in general. The S6 Edge in my opinion isn't in the top three phones. To me it goes (in no particular order):

Google Nexus 5

iPhone 6 Plus

OnePlus One (soon to be OnePlus Two)

The Nexus 5 is a year and a half old at this point, has battery issues and a lackluster camera. It's wonderful for the $350 pricetag it had, but it's nowhere near the "top 3." Don't even get me started on how awful the OPO invite system was, and the phone is riddled with hardware flaws related to the screen.

Can anyone explain how to change the back button and multi task button? I have a GS6 regular version. When I researched a bit it all told me I had to root.

You can't do it without root. They're hardware buttons.

@Berzerker what are your top 3 phones?

At this point, (in no particular order), the Nexus 6, Galaxy S6 Edge, and iPhone 6+.

The iPhone 6+ is the best phone for anyone who doesn't want the previous two. The Nexus 6 is an improvement every way over the Nexus 5, and the S6 Edge is the best feeling phone in the hand if you want something with a smaller (comparatively) screen.

I tried the S6 Edge and really like it. Holding it wasn't as difficult as other say it on the net, where your fingers might touch the curve screen.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I really do not understand Linus' aversion to the speaker location.  

Not sure how many people actually use their phones speakers.

When you are in transit you usually use headphones, and when at home you either use something else to play back media or have a speaker.

Only reason I can see the speaker being used is for video conferencing/calling where having them at the front gives more of an immersion, but having it at the bottom does not really take much away from that (having them at the back makes this horrible though)

As for SD cards.  With the amount of storage available on phones these days why does anyone really need it?  I admit back in the day yeah this may have been a deal breaker for me, but now a days a phone with 64 GB will be more then enough for me.

Yeah I don't know why people are complaining about it not having an SD slot the least storage it comes with is 32GB, which is enough on a phone especially with how cloud storage is growing these days. I think is a pretty darn cool phone B)