GOG galaxy client now in open beta, download now!

AlexGoesHigh

Not enough people care about Steams DRM. So, I don't see them removing it anytime soon.

Yea, I feel like people on internet forums are just a vocal minority. I think it's nice what GOG is doing, but I haven't really seen many people complain about issues with Steam's DRM outside of internet forums.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Yea, I feel like people on internet forums are just a vocal minority. I think it's nice what GOG is doing, but I haven't really seen many people complain about issues with Steam's DRM outside of internet forums.

I've never heard anyone complain about Steam DRM. It's not invasive at all, and can be played mostly offline.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Finally, fuck you GabeN! Praise our new Lord Marcin Iwinski :D

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

I've never heard anyone complain about Steam DRM. It's not invasive at all, and can be played mostly offline.

This is true. I too have never complained about steam DRM for a number of reasons

-it's optional for devs

-it allows me to install and play on multiple PCs or hardware changes

-I can switch off my Internet connection and go into offline mode and play as long as my login details are saved

Since it doesn't make my life any harder I don't care that it's called DRM.

My main gripes with Valve are customer support and refund policy. Those are the areas I have a problem with them. Maybe regional pricing mechanisms as well need to be improved for some users.

I fully support GOG's endeavours and believe they can be a positive force in the industry ➕ healthy competition, but that has nothing to do with any steam drm concerns for me personally.

Mind you GOG can do no wrong in my mind.

That's what people said about Valve.

Who's up for GOG Greenlight with first their game as "kill the ******" since GOG can do no wrong

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

I signed up for this, still waiting on my invite. Looking forward to using this platform for older games but really hope it gets adopted by more publishers and devs in the near future.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Completely agree. I remember when Steam first came about. It was a different world.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Does GOG require admin permission?

Because, don't laugh, but my dad is the admin in every PC in the household including my gaming PC because he wants to "monitor" the family internet usage. So the best thing about Steam is you can buy, download and install games without the need of admin's permission on a standard windows user account, it never asks you for admin's password or you can skip it and it will still download/install anyway. But Origin and Uplay it asks for admin's permission (User Account Control) every time you want to buy, download, install or update the game. Super annoying.

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

Does GOG require admin permission?

Because, don't laugh, but my dad is the admin in every PC in the household including my gaming PC because he wants to "monitor" the family internet usage. So the best thing about Steam is you can buy, download and install games without the need of admin's permission on a standard windows user account, it never asks you for admin's password or you can skip it and it will still download/install anyway. But Origin and Uplay it asks for admin's permission (User Account Control) every time you want to buy, download, install or update the game. Super annoying.

I wasn't aware of this limitation regarding game clients and admin permissions.  Thank you for posting this!  I have a lot of clients that, of course, have kids and I'm sure their teenagers would love this little tidbit of information regarding Steam ;) 

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.

I wasn't aware of this limitation regarding game clients and admin permissions.  Thank you for posting this!  I have a lot of clients that, of course, have kids and I'm sure their teenagers would love this little tidbit of information regarding Steam ;)

Steam is awesome at handling standard user accounts. 100% of games on Steam will pop up an UAC "Admin permission needed" window, if you click cancel the game will still download/update/run as normal (so you don't need admin permission at all).

Origin and Uplay however when you press cancel it won't let you do anything apart from launching the game (assuming you have already installed it), you can't download/install/update without admin's password for Origin or Uplay. 

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

Nope, actually that's not what they said about Valve. Here is what some used to say when Steam was just released:

lalMEZS.gif

-------

Current Rig

-------

Got a invite but have no games on it ;c

Magical Pineapples

Just note that there is currently no way to pause a game download.  Abort deletes downloaded data, and only exiting the client outright acts like a Pause button for downloads.  It also automatically sets extremely high download priority, more than Steam ever does, which can be bad in many ways.  Preloading Witcher 3 as we speak :D

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

So yeah, it's neat. Seams tiedier than Steam.

My only gripe is that the login thing doesn't register right mouse clicks which would make using my acc very difficult (keepass' auto-type isn't really working eighter). My password consists of randomly generated keys and typing those 24 keys would be a chore crt+v thankfully works though, so I could actully log in.

A company I trust more than Steam to be honest.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

A company I trust more than Steam to be honest.

I still trust steam more than EA Origin

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Still no beta invite.. odd signed up right when beta started 

edit: Oh you don't wait for an email.. you just straight up download now.

I thought they already had a client? I remember downloading it once...

Anyways, seems unlikely that I will start to collect on GOG though.

I still trust steam more than EA Origin

At least EA gives returns and has responsive support. Waiting a week to not get support on Steam sure is annoying.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

• 4 weeks later...

So far I like the style and trying to make legit competition for Steam. DRM Free, 30 day refund, etc. Bought 2 games already.

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build