Crysis 2 dropping to 1 FPS.

Imakuni

So, I'm having this weird problem where the game randomly drops to 1 fps, becoming unplayable. It seems to be completely random, sometimes it starts within 30s of gameplay, sometimes it happens after hours. Most often, though, it happens within the first few minutes. Game is running very well, at around 50~60fps, no problems; then all of sudden, BAM, it happens.

I know that it isn't:

1. GPU Temps (see screenshot).
  2. CPU Temps. While not shown in the screenshot, temps are very cool on the cpu, hovering the 50s.
  3. Drivers. They are updated to the latest version, but the last few ones also had this problem.
  4. OS. Both Windows 7 and 8.1 had this issue.
  5. Corrupted game files. I already downloaded the game twice.

Gtx 970, btw. I can finish the game and re-launch to get good FPS again. But I lose all my progress, and it's prone to happening again. Help plz!

QwtEAyI.jpg

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Only Crysis 2? If only Crysis 2 I think it's the game, but I hope I'm wrong, because that GPU is fast, should be playable all the time.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

if you play it at 720p...does it still happen?

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Try disable any power-saving features like AMD Cool n Quiet yada yada. 

Btw pairing a 1st gen mid-range APU with a 970 seem imbalance to me.  :ph34r:

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Only Crysis 2? If only Crysis 2 I think it's the game, but I hope I'm wrong, because that GPU is fast, should be playable all the time.

Yes, only this game.

if you play it at 720p...does it still happen?

It used to, when I was using my older 720p Tv as a monitor.

Try disable any power-saving features like AMD Cool n Quiet yada yada. 

Btw pairing a 1st gen mid-range APU with a 970 seem imbalance to me.  :ph34r:

Cool and quiet is already out. Also, the setup is a bit mismatched, as I'm waiting Broadwell. I can still snag good enough FPS on 1440p, so I'm not TOO bothered....

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Play with windows task manager and GPU-z open in the background. The next time it drops to 1 fps alt-tab to desktop and check what anomalies are happening during the drop. Is CPU hitting 100% suddenly, is GPU throttling etc

Unstable RAM OC? I think I got something like this when I made my Timings too tight.

Specs: [CPU: Intel i5-4570(Clock to 3.6Ghz)] [GPU: Dual-X R9 270x 2GB] [RAM: x1 HyperX Blu 8GB 1600] [OS: Win8.1]

Also you CPU is going to 100%.

Specs: [CPU: Intel i5-4570(Clock to 3.6Ghz)] [GPU: Dual-X R9 270x 2GB] [RAM: x1 HyperX Blu 8GB 1600] [OS: Win8.1]

Play with windows task manager and GPU-z open in the background. The next time it drops to 1 fps alt-tab to desktop and check what anomalies are happening during the drop. Is CPU hitting 100% suddenly, is GPU throttling etc

Read OP. All of that info is there.

Unstable RAM OC? I think I got something like this when I made my Timings too tight.

No OC on RAM.

Also you CPU is going to 100%.

And?

Read OP. All of that info is there.

No OC on RAM.

And?

Check if there is any other program that is using your CPU power, OC it, or get a better one.

Check if there is any other program that is using your CPU power, OC it, or get a better one.

Uh... what? Please understand what the topic is ACTUALLY about. It's not about  having low FPS because CPU sucks. It's about having great fps, then all of a sudden it dropping dead to 1 fps. As you can see in picture, there isn't anything stealing all the CPU or GPU resources, which can be clearly seen by the usages.

Uh... what? Please understand what the topic is ACTUALLY about. It's not about  having low FPS because CPU sucks. It's about having great fps, then all of a sudden it dropping dead to 1 fps. As you can see in picture, there isn't anything stealing all the CPU or GPU resources, which can be clearly seen by the usages.

Oh? So you're saying that the GPU and CPU usage drop isn't dropped because you had the game off tab? Because that is what I thought.

Oh? So you're saying that the GPU and CPU usage drop isn't dropped because you had the game off tab? Because that is what I thought.

The sensor was on a 2nd monitor. I just edited it to fit in one picture.

Does it happen in both windowed and fullscreen?

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

The sensor was on a 2nd monitor. I just edited it to fit in one picture.

Oh I see. Try out what the other said about Cool n Quiet. I had that issue when I was trying my R9 270x on my broths A8 5600k and I noticed it was stuttering a lot when I was testing on BF4. I tried looking online and the mentioned Cool N Quiet. I turned it off and the issue was fixed.

Edit:

Wait... Nvm... You already did... I don't know what else you should try out.

Does it happen in both windowed and fullscreen?

Yes, it happens on both cases.