Why gamers prefere mechanical keyboards.

Gdourado

Hello,

So, I know that mechanical keyboards are great for typing with their individual switches for each key and tactile feedback.

I know that for someone who writes a lot using a computer, a mechanical keyboard can improve typing speed, comfort and accuracy.

But what about games?

For someone who uses the computer to play 90% of the time and mostly WASD games, are mechanical keyboards worth the price premium?

What are the advantages?

Cheers!

I like the feel of them over membrane.

Worth it? Subjective.

Overall just better than rubber dome (dumb) keyboards :P

I outta get a mechanical keyboard some time soon, im gettin tired of this crappy dell rubber dome keyboard...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

The advantage generally boils down to 

'It feels better'

472383_170x100.png?v=1404003457.91

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

They feel better. Unless of course its MX Reds, they feel exactly like membrane

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Definitely up to the individual. Some people prefer the feel and others just like the sound. I do know some people who prefer membrane over mechanical.

They're peasants.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Hello,

So, I know that mechanical keyboards are great for typing with their individual switches for each key and tactile feedback.

I know that for someone who writes a lot using a computer, a mechanical keyboard can improve typing speed, comfort and accuracy.

But what about games?

For someone who uses the computer to play 90% of the time and mostly WASD games, are mechanical keyboards worth the price premium?

What are the advantages?

Cheers!

It doesn't make you better at gaming per se. You're unlikely to enjoy gaming on, say Greens, though you might like it, I don't know. It's preference.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

it feels better and they're solid enough to smack someone in the face for trying to take your computer... not speaking from experience  :ph34r:

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

'It feels better'

A good enough advantage for a device that exists to be touched.

As well, not gaming per se but my mum hammers keyboards like they were Victorian typewriters. She normally gets a few months out of a membrane keyboard before she utterly destroys it.

• Better feel

Not as much strain

Faster response

Better built

Longer life

Possibility of choosing the switch you're more comfortable with

Customization

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

I prefer good membrane keys over Reds.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

fully programmable with n-key rollover? What isn't to love?

Also that probably does not reflect 95% of mechanical keyboard on the market but it is what my custom keyboard can do lol

I moved from a membrane to mx reds last year, using the shift key constantly was annoying my pinkie finger.

In my case, the reds have a more uniform action, and take less force to actuate. Essentially, I find them more comfortable to use, and they are easier to hit.

They were also a bit more prone to accidental activation (control got hit quite often at first) until I got used to it shortly thereafter.

My keyboard wasn't expensive so I don't regard it as that much of a premium, but some of the other models out there are outrageously priced. It really depends if you need backlighting, multicoloured at that, and other stuff like on the fly macro recording. I didn't so easy choice.

I still use membrane keyboard I have no problem gaming 

Lol not true at all.

Cherry MX red & blue are the most common ones when it comes to gaming.

Cherry MX brown is somewhere in the middle between red & blue

And don't even bother going for black, they suck ass... I held down W (walking in a fps) and it felt like my finger was about to die off if I didn't release it.

More comfortable and far less fatiguing. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Lol not true at all.

Cherry MX red & blue are the most common ones when it comes to gaming.

Cherry MX brown is somewhere in the middle between red & blue

And don't even bother going for black, they suck ass... I held down W (walking in a fps) and it felt like my finger was about to die off if I didn't release it.

Don't hate on black switches because you cant handle them. My main keyboard uses mx blacks and I love them and have no problem gaming on them. My numpad uses mx greens and the keyboard I'm currently making uses vintage mx blacks (from a keyboard made around 1985) and I changed the springs for ones that came out of cherry mx clear switches.

Don't hate on black switches because you cant handle them. My main keyboard uses mx blacks and I love them and have no problem gaming on them. My numpad uses mx greens and the keyboard I'm currently making uses vintage mx blacks (from a keyboard made around 1985) and I changed the springs for ones that came out of cherry mx clear switches.

Yea it's all preference really. I mean I completely dislike blue aswell imo it feels like there's sand between the keys lol.. doesn't take away the fact that some people find them great to game/typ on and some even like the clicky sound of it. 

The reason that there are so many different types is not because some are better than others, it's more because people have choice between switches.

Some like clicky feel, some like clicky sound, some don't or actually do prefer feedback so yea, it's preference and because there are so many different cherry mx switches, there's usually atleast 1 switch you'll like.

Red switches have higher actuation point so u don't need to bottom then out to activate it. Therefore "spamming" spells and abilities in games like MOBAs its the perfect choice.

On my old membrane keyboard I often would not use spell because I didn't press hard enough lol.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE