[Heavy images and content. See "Recap" for lighter version] Microsoft BUILD Event - Day1 Keynote

GoodBytes

YEEEES! YEEEESSSSSSSS! YES! the hype is real! Can't wait!

I need day business payment method.

Jk, literally everything I read was awesome.

- snip-

just curious why this is needed since there is open office, libre, and google office?

Because Office 365 in the workplace collectively kicks the ass of all the above. Combined. MSs enterprise software and service is not a joke. I'd rather have my buildings run MS than anything else if I could.

As long as I can use Libreoffice with its own file format it's fine, but I have had several

cases recently where it screwed up MS Office documents I needed to work on in college, and

I can't really avoid those. For Writer/Word it's often not that much of an issue, but Excel/Calc

and especially Powerpoint stuff is a frequent source of trouble and has not worked reliably

for me.

For Word documents, the worst that usually happens is that the formatting gets screwed up,

which might not be much of an issue (but it can be, depending on circumstances). However,

Calc recently just flat-out corrupted an Excel document and rendered it unreadable in Excel,

which is not an acceptable scenario. And it was not just a one-time fluke, the behavior was

repeatable. Luckily I'd made a backup beforehand so we didn't lose our work.

And Powerpoint documents have been horrible in general for me in Libreoffice. I can usually

open and read them, but they rarely get formatted correcty, and certainly nothing I ever add

and then save gets formatted as it should, which is really bad for a presentation.

Bottom line in my personal experience lately: Libreoffice mostly reads MS Office documents

acceptably, however writing to MS Office formats has been a pretty bad experience for me.

@GoodBytes has recommended I have a look at Office Online though, so I might give that a

shot. It won't replace LaTeX for me, but it should at least allow me to work on MS Office

documents in group projects without trouble.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

As long as I can use Libreoffice with its own file format it's fine, but I have had several

cases recently where it screwed up MS Office documents I needed to work on in college, and

I can't really avoid those. For Writer/Word it's often not that much of an issue, but Excel/Calc

and especially Powerpoint stuff is a frequent source of trouble and has not worked reliably

for me.

For Word documents, the worst that usually happens is that the formatting gets screwed up,

which might not be much of an issue (but it can be, depending on circumstances). However,

Calc recently just flat-out corrupted an Excel document and rendered it unreadable in Excel,

which is not an acceptable scenario. And it was not just a one-time fluke, the behavior was

repeatable. Luckily I'd made a backup beforehand so we didn't lose our work.

And Powerpoint documents have been horrible in general for me in Libreoffice. I can usually

open and read them, but they rarely get formatted correcty, and certainly nothing I ever add

and then save gets formatted as it should, which is really bad for a presentation.

Bottom line in my personal experience lately: Libreoffice mostly reads MS Office documents

acceptably, however writing to MS Office formats has been a pretty bad experience for me.

@GoodBytes has recommended I have a look at Office Online though, so I might give that a

shot. It won't replace LaTeX for me, but it should at least allow me to work on MS Office

documents in group projects without trouble.

Doesn'y MS office (or the latter versions of it) support open documents anyway?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Doesn'y MS office (or the latter versions of it) support open documents anyway?

Yes, I think that's right. But we sometimes get handed templates, so there isn't always

a way to avoid the issue altogether.

Plus, if I'm being perfectly honest, I'm kind of tired ot asking my friends to "please

take into the consideration the Libreoffice guy who can't handle MS Office file formats".

It makes me feel like some weakling hipster, and I really don't have the time or energy

to constantly explain this issue to people.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Excited that Microsoft are doing cool shit for once

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'm looking at the hololens and I have one thing to say. 3D modelers are going to become very very important in the future.

What do they mean by free? Is it only free for one year then I have to pay for it? 

you have a year to switch after that you have to pay but if you did it during the year, it's free forever.

The holo lens is a good concept, but it looks bad when worn.

Who cares, you're not supposed to look at yourself in a mirror or go outside with it while using it.

I'm looking at the hololens and I have one thing to say. 3D modelers are going to become very very important in the future.

They are pretty important already.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

They are pretty important already.

nah but I mean they're going to be the automobile shop workers at the turn of the 20th century in the future or something like that. 

You know how Nintendo made a deal to bring their games to mobile/PC a few weeks back. I wonder if that's because of windows 10 :o

you have a year to switch after that you have to pay but if you did it during the year, it's free forever.

Who cares, you're not supposed to look at yourself in a mirror or go outside with it while using it.

Lol, you don't look at yourself in a mirror, people look at you. Its current design aesthetics are terrible.

PMSL

On the discussion on OpenOffice and office:

Office can load and save *.odt file format,

In addition, as a student, you can get Office 365 for free. See your college or university for details, if they don't offer it, as they don't manage it, you can go here: https://products.office.com/en-us/student/office-in-education

You get the whole package, including the 1TB OneDrive space, and 5 licenses for PC/Mac, and 5 for tablets and phones (iOS, Android, WP).

If you are in high-school, or your school is too cheap to give you a student e-mail, you can also access Office online. Just login to your Microsoft service account (hotmail.com, live.com, msn.com, outlok.com, etc.) and you can access a light version, but you have than the basics: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.

Not to mention you can get Office 365 personal for the few months you need it, and cancel when you are done., and only cash out a few dollars per month.

On the discussion on OpenOffice and office:

Office can load and save *.odt file format,

In addition, as a student, you can get Office 365 for free. See your college or university for details, if they don't offer it, as they don't manage it, you can go here: https://products.office.com/en-us/student/office-in-education

You get the whole package, including the 1TB OneDrive space, and 5 licenses for PC/Msc, and 5 for tablets and phones (iOS, Android, WP).

If you are in high-school, o your school is too cheap to give you a student e-mail, you can also access Office online. Just login to your Microsoft service account (hotmail.com, live.com, msn.com, outlok.com, etc.) and you can access a light version, but you have than the basics: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.

Not to mention you can get Office 365 personal for the few months you need it, and cancel when you are done., and only cash out a few dollars per month.

Sweet, I've only got 2007-which is in my experience after upgrading from 2003, a simple re-skin.

PMSL

Well, I watched the livestream. They presented some cool stuff, some are still pretty crude though. Non the less, I want to see how Windows 10 will kick off, hopefully amazing. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Damn! Microsoft you're stepping up. I'm seeing the new Microsoft as being much more dev friendly, developing more relevant & useful features, making it a more uniform experience for all Windows 10 users (tablets, PC's and phones) and improving their cloud services. It's been such a long time since I've been this excited for software developments, especially from Microsoft. I just hope they deliver on what they've said. So stoked though!

video about porting android apps to windows

they even went as far to support other IDE's and have a web analyzer, mac too, they literally made it a 1 one man, 1 day job with simple apps, complex stuff shouldn't take long either 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Yes! I could not access it yesterday. Server too busy :/

Windows 10 looks amazing!

Can't wait to install it.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Looked though all the stuff announced on day 1 and I really don't understand why everyone is so hyped. What did they announce that was so groundbreaking and amazing?

Looked though all the stuff announced on day 1 and I really don't understand why everyone is so hyped. What did they announce that was so groundbreaking and amazing?

For me personally:

Windows 10 Continuum - this is groundbreaking - Dock your phone into a dock connected to mouse + keyboard + monitor, and your phone is now your desktop - this is a really good idea, and it makes a lot of sense. How many people actually need more power then a phone can offer?

If you're just doing Facebook, email, and MS Office Suite, then the phone has more then enough power.

Other really awesome stuff is the easy porting from Android, the universal apps across all devices (Granted, you'll need to create an appropriate GUI for each environment, but the code stays the same).

Visual Studio Code also sounds awesome too.

All the business stuff is also mind blowing. They have introduced the ability for a company to buy a bunch of apps off the Windows Store (And remember, x86 Desktop Apps will be able to added to the store now - not just Modern Apps). These apps are then able to be presented to anyone on the Company Domain, who can install apps as needed. From an IT Management perspective, this is fucking awesome. Half my time is spent installing programs for people because we don't want the users to have access to our license keys.

You can even create your own custom Windows Store that has only the authorized apps you want on it. Great for company owned devices that get handed out to people.

None of that excites you in the slightest?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

For me personally:

Windows 10 Continuum - this is groundbreaking - Dock your phone into a dock connected to mouse + keyboard + monitor, and your phone is now your desktop - this is a really good idea, and it makes a lot of sense. How many people actually need more power then a phone can offer?

If you're just doing Facebook, email, and MS Office Suite, then the phone has more then enough power.

Other really awesome stuff is the easy porting from Android, the universal apps across all devices (Granted, you'll need to create an appropriate GUI for each environment, but the code stays the same).

All the business stuff is also mind blowing. They have introduced the ability for a company to buy a bunch of apps off the Windows Store (And remember, x86 Desktop Apps will be able to added to the store now - not just Modern Apps). These apps are then able to be presented to anyone on the Company Domain, who can install apps as needed. From an IT Management perspective, this is fucking awesome. Half my time is spent installing programs for people because we don't want the users to have access to our license keys.

You can even create your own custom Windows Store that has only the authorized apps you want on it. Great for company owned devices that get handed out to people.

None of that excites you in the slightest?

I was also blown the fuck away by HoloLens. Again. Jesus, that thing is just incredible.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I was also blown the fuck away by HoloLens. Again. Jesus, that thing is just incredible.

Yeah the technology was rather impressive!

However, it looks fugly :P I wouldn't wear one around anyone else until they revise the external aesthetics of it a bit :D

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yeah the technology was rather impressive!

However, it looks fugly :P I wouldn't wear one around anyone else until they revise the external aesthetics of it a bit :D

HoloLens is going to be amazing. One thing most others didn't notice that I think is going to be big in Windows 10 is the consistency between devices and within the OS itself. I love how MS has actually listened and made the whole experience more consistent on a single device and more consistent between devices. On top of that how good does the adaptive UI look for different hardware? I love how they're finally improving the touch experience on the desktop. Small things like spacing out menus more for touch screens is going to make for a much better and intuitive experience for all platforms. It looks like they got it right between maintaining a consistent experience and adapting it to the hardware. Just hoping it delivers on what MS has shown us. First time in ages since I've been excited by what's coming out from Microsoft.

For me personally:

How is it ground breaking? Asus has been doing this for about 4 years now with Android. Dock your phone into a tablet, dock your tablet into a keyboard. I can even connect mouse, keyboard and a monitor to my tablet if I want to. It will be the same thing because the Windows 10 phones won't be able to run x86 programs (the only reason why I want the desktop).

I've been talking about your phone being your only computer for about 5 years or so, but we are still not there in terms of performance and especially not programs. It will be nice in the future but I don't think it's exciting or ground breaking right now.

Ubuntu has done a similar thing as well in the past (although it doesn't seem like it is getting any market share).

I'm gonna wait and see how easy it actually is, how well it performs and how feature compatibility will be before getting excited. They weren't exactly very detailed in their explanations or examples. I am also a bit worried about this being Microsoft trying to pull an "Embrace, extend and extinguish" tactic like they have done several times in the past. It seems like Microsoft's mentality has changed and that they are no longer pure fucking evil, but I still don't trust them.

Meh... It's nice and all to have another editor to choose from but it seems like Microsoft based it on Atom and added their own proprietary modules and tweaks. The most surprising and revolutionary thing about it is that it's Microsoft doing it. Kind of bothers me that they didn't even give any mention or thanks to GitHub during the presentation.

I will try it out but I don't see why anyone would cream their pants over it, especially not since a lot of people screaming are not developers. They didn't even make it open source despite the underlying editor being. I guess that's what GitHub gets for not using GPL.

It's nice to have it built into the OS but we have been able to do this for quite some time with third party solutions such as Chef (and Chef works on a lot more than just Windows 10).

I mean, as soon as they use anything other than Windows 10 you still need to rely on third party programs which does similar or the same thing. It's a nice addition but again, not really revolutionary or that exciting, especially not for the people who are screaming the most about how awesome the conference was (see this thread for lots of examples).

Pretty cool but very limit use outside of companies (and even then only a small portion of companies).

No I didn't really get excited over anything they talked about yesterday. They did show and talk about some neat things but again, nothing I think is groundbreaking or amazing. What worries me a bit is that a lot of people show the same kind of mentality towards this keynote as they do towards Apple keynotes. They go mental over things that have been done before (sometimes even better) and they get really hyped over things which we don't know a whole lot about. Reminds me of the reality distortion field Jobs had to an uncomfortable degree.

I am looking forward to Windows 10 a lot, but this keynote didn't change my level of excitement for it.