Skylake CPU's leaked with specs

20% wouldn't be something to sneeze at for people running CF/SLI 1080p 120 Hz systems though, since they'd often be CPU bound in that scenario.

Of Course that 20% was a complete guess. Well I think my system is CPU bound its either that or GPU bound. Don't matter in games tbh I get good overall performance.

Saying that even if its a 10% increase in performance. Coming from haswell is it really worth the upgrade compared from coming from an i7 930 for example.

Higher clock speed does not mean it's faster :) nor core count does :D

LOOK at AMD they have 8 CORE 5 GHZ CPU which is slower then 3.4-3.9 GHZ 4 core i7 3770 LOL

I can't imagine Skylake being slower than Haswell.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Why such low base clocks? I get that they will have better ipc etc. but even my 4440 has a higher clock speed (which is also quite important)

The clocks are higher than Haswell pretty much across the board. Bear in mind the Skylake CPUs without a suffix are at a 65W TDP, which is what the Haswell S CPUs are at. So the proper point of comparison is not a Core i5-4440, but a Core i5-4440S (as well as 4430S etc.; the 6400 has the base clock of the 4430S and the max boost of the 4440S).

They would be very suitable for HTPC's and basic workstations because a quad core at that tdp is pretty amazing and the performance is probably not something to snort at too much either. Plus, are you expecting everyone that buys a new cpu to be gaming or doing really intensive stuff. Probably most people have very simple and basic needs for their pc's. So basicly what I am saying is drop your hammer, we dont need it

Did you not notice the smiley in my post?

As many have said, Intel has slowed down performance increases across generations. If you ask me, that is actually a very good thing. I don't have a source but apparently, there was an unofficial interview done with an employee from Intel that goes along the lines that they could easily make their CPUs four times as powerful as they are now but if they did that, AMD would go out of business. They do not want to happen as the US government and likely other governments around the world would break Intel up because of its monopoly, which would result in profit loss greater than what they made from dominating the market. 

Everyone should keep in mind the agreement that Intel and AMD have to share technologies, and why rumored specs of the Zen architecture includes some form of hyper-threading. I believe that Intel is trying to keep AMD alive, even if it means that Intel will lose some market share from the aid given for future architectures. Cannonlake or maybe an architecture right after will be the last silicon based CPUs Intel makes, and they aren't willing to let AMD fall behind because of it.

Just my two cents.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Did you not notice the smiley in my post?

Well. I didnt...

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

there was an unofficial interview done with an employee from Intel that goes along the lines that they could easily make their CPUs four times as powerful as they are now

Wow...Sorry for the comparison but, AMD is like the console of video games...holding everything back.

Wow...Sorry for the comparison but, AMD is like the console of video games...holding everything back.

I disagree, AMD has actually been the one to push the industry forward with 64-bit being a prime example. They have always been the smaller company so they don't have billions to spend on lots of different projects like Intel, but what they do develop is usually quite innovative.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Im not really that impressed with those processors

bullshit processors same as haswell/HRefresh,only fanboys will buy this,despite the 14nm shrink guess what all the transistors that should have gone into cache and make cores stronger went into to the iGPU fucking hell,id bet my ass on it its not more than 10% cpu improvement wise in average benchmarks(not games).

bullshit processors same as haswell/HRefresh,only fanboys will buy this,despite the 14nm shrink guess what all the transistors that should have gone into cache and make cores stronger went into to the iGPU fucking hell,id bet my ass on it its not more than 10% cpu improvement wise in average benchmarks(not games).

It certainly won't be anything special on the CPU side although the 72 execution units on the GPU side will make for very appealing high performance SoC. Intel may finally have integrated graphics that's notably faster than AMD offerings. Which I don't foresee hurting AMD as there still is a large price gap between the two. Although it's still nice to see Intel pushing forward with their graphics architecture and implementation. The main reason I salute Intel for this is because it raises the bar for integrated graphics offerings. The next APU that AMD will roll out (after Godavari) will be pressured to top Skylake's graphics performance. And thus the APU battle has finally commenced so things will get extremely interesting on both sides. If Skylake rolls out and completely destroys the A10-7870k in gaming we know AMD will more than likely retaliate with something much bigger than initially planned for Bristol Ridge.

Oooh might have to get a 6700K to replace my 4790K even though it might be completely pointless lol..

Them FLOPS, many cores.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Looks like another skip. Intel haven't done a thing since sandy bridge that I care about, other than replacing the soldered IHS with toothpaste to save a few pennies and make temps far worse. Wish I never "upgraded" to a 4670K from my 2500K, what a complete waste of time and money.

There are some leaked benchmarks already if you google around.

Oooh it has slightly higher numbers in cinebench yet performs exactly the same in every game! Look at me crawling my way to the counter to buy one! /sarchasm

That "toothpaste" was used because the solder was starting to kill dies with them becoming so small and the transistors getting smaller. Im pretty sure you prefer them using toothpaste on your 200$ i5 than them using solder but killing half their dies and so having to jack the price up to 400$ for an i5? Stop complaining over stuff you know nothing about.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

That "toothpaste" was used because the solder was starting to kill dies with them becoming so small and the transistors getting smaller. Im pretty sure you prefer them using toothpaste on your 200$ i5 than them using solder but killing half their dies and so having to jack the price up to 400$ for an i5? Stop complaining over stuff you know nothing about.

Yes... but can you brush your teeth with it?

uglyteeth.jpg

Yes... but can you brush your teeth with it?

uglyteeth.jpg

no i brush my teeth with nutella ;)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

No 6-core, no purchase

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

It certainly won't be anything special on the CPU side although the 72 execution units on the GPU side will make for very appealing high performance SoC. Intel may finally have integrated graphics that's notably faster than AMD offerings. Which I don't foresee hurting AMD as there still is a large price gap between the two. Although it's still nice to see Intel pushing forward with their graphics architecture and implementation. The main reason I salute Intel for this is because it raises the bar for integrated graphics offerings. The next APU that AMD will roll out (after Godavari) will be pressured to top Skylake's graphics performance. And thus the APU battle has finally commenced so things will get extremely interesting on both sides. If Skylake rolls out and completely destroys the A10-7870k in gaming we know AMD will more than likely retaliate with something much bigger than initially planned for Bristol Ridge.

When you think about it, if Intel gets their iGPU to levels where it competes with the iGPU in AMD APU's, then your going to have a processor with strong CPU and graphics performance. Instead of one or the other.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

When you think about it, if Intel gets their iGPU to levels where it competes with the iGPU in AMD APU's, then your going to have a processor with strong CPU and graphics performance. Instead of one or the other.

Well if AMD gets Zen right then all we need is for AMD to up the ante with how many shaders they pack on die. With Intel packing 576 SIMD on Skylake it may drive AMD to push 640+ shaders on their next generation APU. That's why I salute Intel as we the consumer want the competition between the companies. This is what pushes them to strive for a better product.

As many have said, Intel has slowed down performance increases across generations. If you ask me, that is actually a very good thing. I don't have a source but apparently, there was an unofficial interview done with an employee from Intel that goes along the lines that they could easily make their CPUs four times as powerful as they are now but if they did that, AMD would go out of business. They do not want to happen as the US government and likely other governments around the world would break Intel up because of its monopoly, which would result in profit loss greater than what they made from dominating the market. 

Everyone should keep in mind the agreement that Intel and AMD have to share technologies, and why rumored specs of the Zen architecture includes some form of hyper-threading. I believe that Intel is trying to keep AMD alive, even if it means that Intel will lose some market share from the aid given for future architectures. Cannonlake or maybe an architecture right after will be the last silicon based CPUs Intel makes, and they aren't willing to let AMD fall behind because of it.

Just my two cents.

yep!  it totally makes sense.  That is why Intel hasn't made any major stride since Sandy Bridge.  All I have to say is that Zen better delivers or else and the same goes for 390x 

I wish Qaulcomm entered the desktop x86 cpu market and gave Intel something to worry about.

Well if AMD gets Zen right then all we need is for AMD to up the ante with how many shaders they pack on die. With Intel packing 576 SIMD on Skylake it may drive AMD to push 640+ shaders on their next generation APU. That's why I salute Intel as we the consumer want the competition between the companies. This is what pushes them to strive for a better product.

And to think Intel started off from scratch with their iGPU, and the performance increases between each version are actually quite impressive. As usual however their drivers suck and let them down.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

sorry, wrong trhead

In my case I'm very insterested in upgrading to Skylake.

My old Phenom II 965be (4.1GHz) did well all this time

i5 6600k + air cooler + motherboard + ddr4 16gb = 600-700€

The rest of the my actual computer can wait a bit.

GPU Asus 770 2Gb (1080p gaming)

PSU Corsair TX650

How many improvement will I get? 100% or more maybe?

In my case I'm very insterested in upgrading to Skylake.

My old Phenom II 965be (4.1GHz) did well all this time

i5 6600k + air cooler + motherboard + ddr4 16gb = 600-700€

The rest of the my actual computer can wait a bit.

GPU Asus 770 2Gb (1080p gaming)

PSU Corsair TX650

How many improvement will I get? 100% or more maybe?

If CPU intensive games then yeah, if not - you won't see that big of a difference.

Another tick in Intel's tick/tock cycle. We can expect ~5-10% increase in performance at best. I guess the real news for Skylake is the iGPU.

3DMark CPU scores show a 19.2% IPC increase comparing 4790K vs. 6700K. 11515 vs 10100 with both chips running at full boost tilt.

(1+(1-4.2/4.4))*11515/10100 =1.1919 or 119.2% the performance of Haswell per clock or a 19.2% performance boost, and since multicore scaling isn't perfect, we can conclude it's actually better than this.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

And to think Intel started off from scratch with their iGPU, and the performance increases between each version are actually quite impressive. As usual however their drivers suck and let them down.

Their drivers have been seeing great improvement since the release of the 4980HQ. There's been an update every 3 weeks or so since August.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd