AMD Naming Scheme

JT8101997

Why is their naming for every product line so awful? I mean, it's obviously not the defining problem, but i do believe it pushes people away from their products to some extent and has at least something to do with them loosing so much money. When i first started getting into building PC's i didn't even look at AMD because it confused the hell out of me. Why don't they name things better, so if you're new to AMD or computers in general you can actually understand what it is you're looking at? And also, do you think if they fixed this then they would see any improvement in sales? No AMD hate on my side beyond their names :P

Just a normal guy with a constant desire to modify everything he owns. 

Check out my current build here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006447-the-cake-is-a-lie-water-cooled-portal-pc/

Your right, pussydestoryerXx_rekted_xX will draw me closer to their cards than Nvidia.

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

The only bad thing about it, is the fact that they rehashed their old GPU chips and gave them new names which in no way are linked to the old ones.

I still have to Google the 7870 or whatever, just because I can't remember it's a 280X or 290X or whatever.

All their CPU lines are alright, the new GPU names are fine too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Why is their naming for every product line so awful? I mean, it's obviously not the defining problem, but i do believe it pushes people away from their products to some extent and has at least something to do with them loosing so much money. When i first started getting into building PC's i didn't even look at AMD because it confused the hell out of me. Why don't they name things better, so if you're new to AMD or computers in general you can actually understand what it is you're looking at? And also, do you think if they fixed this then they would see any improvement in sales? No AMD hate on my side beyond their names :P

Depends on what you mean, their GPU's names are all islands for as long as I can remember their CPU's have been an odd though.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

The only bad thing about it, is the fact that they rehashed their old GPU chips and gave them new names which in no way are linked to the old ones.

I still have to Google the 7870 or whatever, just because I can't remember it's a 280X or 290X or whatever.

All their CPU lines are alright, the new GPU names are fine too.

7870= 270x

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

270, 270X, 280, 280X, 290, 290X

8320, 8350

If you can remember those there isnt much problem. Honestly their naming is fine compared to other companies, not better, but fine. Intel have fairly odd naming on their CPUs and Nvidia "skipped" a line of GPUs (800 sereis)

It was fine until the 285 came out and no one could decide if it was even better than the 280.

And not to mention that time they released a 240GB SSD and called it the R7 240...

7870= 270x

That's what I'm saying, how am I suppose remember that, the names are not related in any way.. 

270, 270X, 280, 280X, 290, 290X

8320, 8350

If you can remember those there isnt much problem. Honestly their naming is fine compared to other companies, not better, but fine. Intel have fairly odd naming on their CPUs and Nvidia "skipped" a line of GPUs (800 sereis)

Intel's i CPU's (i3, i5, i7) are pretty easy to remember.

And Nvidia did have 800 series GPU's in notebooks

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

That's what I'm saying, how am I suppose remember that, the names are not related in any way.. 

GPU Core name, is how I remember.

|King Of The Lost|

It was fine until the 285 came out and no one could decide if it was even better than the 280.

And not to mention that time they released a 240GB SSD and called it the R7 240...

Yeah i mean like how there's a 285 and a 280x and all that. like what? idk. maybe it's just a personal thing, but i don't like it.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006447-the-cake-is-a-lie-water-cooled-portal-pc/

This more of an issue for children than adults, I don't feel a product name would sway me for or against a product. Just specs and real performance matter here. 

The whole i3, i5, i7 naming isnt the best either. The names stay the same throughout generations, so unless you can remember the numbers, you could have no idea of which generation the CPU is. Yes there are 800 series mobile chips, *slow clap*. You get the point, none of the saming schemes are very good at all. The ones that I actually find good are AMDs and Nvidias GPU naming scheme (except the whole 800 thing). 

Nvidia's naming and product line confuses the hell out of me. Where did the XX5 series cards go? How about the X90 cards? why is there no more X50 after the 700 series (I know the 750 Ti is technicaly the 950, but still). Also, Intel, before the Core iSeries, confused the hell out of me. I'm not sure that there is any company out there that actually has a solid naming scheme for anything.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

why would a name of a product draw me to buy it when its still not as good, regardless of the name LOL

a poopoo fx cpu is still a poopoo fx cpu regardless of the branding

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

This more of an issue for children than adults, I don't feel a product name would sway me for or against a product. Just specs and real performance matter here. 

Yeah i tend to think the same way but what i mean is like what if someone is just getting into computers and doesn't understand too much of the technical stuff. They might end up buying an AMD 8 core CPU for gaming, where an intel 4 core could be better. Stuff like that.

AMD has probably one of the more linear naming schemes for their cpu's and gpus. Intel's naming scheme makes no sense at ALL, they have like fucking 10 different types of 4690, and 4790. And freaking Nvidia skipped a whole 800's bracket of desktop gpus, but released the mobile 800 series. All tech companies have awkward naming policies, AMD has probably the most straight forward...

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Yeah i tend to think the same way but what i mean is like what if someone is just getting into computers and doesn't understand too much of the technical stuff. They might end up buying an AMD 8 core CPU for gaming, where an intel 4 core could be better. Stuff like that.

Pretty sure someone getting into computers and doesnt know the "technical stuff" shouldn't be buying parts by themselves. The AMD CPU naming scheme isnt really any better than the Intel one. 

The whole i3, i5, i7 naming isnt the best either. The names stay the same throughout generations, so unless you can remember the numbers, you could have no idea of which generation the CPU is. Yes there are 800 series mobile chips, *slow clap*. You get the point, none of the saming schemes are very good at all. The ones that I actually find good are AMDs and Nvidias GPU naming scheme (except the whole 800 thing). 

No, but I dont get what you mean with the CPU thing.

It's like this:

- i(3/5/7)

they all have different attributes. i3's are usually dual cores with hyper threading, i5 is quad core, i7 is quad (or more) with HT.

- series number (or no number, for the i7 960 or something)

- 3 numbers. higher in the same series = better

- Possibly a letter (K and X can OC.. There's U and S I think too).

Pretty easy IMO. And the latest AMD cards and all Nvidia's cards since the 400-series have had decent names.

No, but I dont get what you mean with the CPU thing.

It's like this:

- i(3/5/7)

they all have different attributes. i3's are usually dual cores with hyper threading, i5 is quad core, i7 is quad (or more) with HT.

- series number (or no number, for the i7 960 or something)

- 3 numbers. higher in the same series = better

- Possibly a letter (K and X can OC.. There's U and S I think too).

Pretty easy IMO. And the latest AMD cards and all Nvidia's cards since the 400-series have had decent names.

By the time you are able to learn all of that information, you are probably already educated enough to look at a spec sheet, so the naming becomes irrelevant. Sure, i3/5/7 have some general rules, but all of the numbers can appear confusing to newcomers. Do you really thing a newbie will be able to easily find the difference between a Haswel CPU and a Haswel Refresh CPU?

Their naming scheme is quite simple I don't see how anyone would have a problem comprehending it.