AMD Naming Scheme

JT8101997

Why is their naming for every product line so awful? I mean, it's obviously not the defining problem, but i do believe it pushes people away from their products to some extent and has at least something to do with them loosing so much money. When i first started getting into building PC's i didn't even look at AMD because it confused the hell out of me. Why don't they name things better, so if you're new to AMD or computers in general you can actually understand what it is you're looking at? And also, do you think if they fixed this then they would see any improvement in sales? No AMD hate on my side beyond their names :P

The only thing that you may not be able to understand is the fx-9590 and such. The first number USUALLY indicates the core amount, though thats not really the case with the 9590.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

That's what I'm saying, how am I suppose remember that, the names are not related in any way..

Intel's i CPU's (i3, i5, i7) are pretty easy to remember.

If u were not into tech when 7000 AMD series was popular then u dont need to remember. If u were around then i dont see how its so hard to remember. And why wouod u need to ? U only need to know how 200 series cards perform.

Intel has easy naming scheme ?!

Each of there i3, i5 and i7 has at least 5 different versions for PC and 3 for Mobile with the "S" and "U" letters and the end.

Thats lot more to memorize than 6 GPUs from AMD :)

Yes AMD has changed the naming scheme but its been around for quiet a while now and they continue with it so theres no need to remember 7000 series anymore.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

If u were not into tech when 7000 AMD series was popular then u dont need to remember. If u were around then i dont see how its so hard to remember. And why wouod u need to ? U only need to know how 200 series cards perform.

Intel has easy naming scheme ?! Each of there i3, i5 and i7 has at least 5 different versions for PC and 3 for Mobile with the "S" and "U" letters and the end.

Thats lot more to memorize than 6 GPUs from AMD :)

I was not yet into PC tech when the 7000 series was out.

I personally think the Intel naming scheme is easy, especially the i series CPU's.

You just look at the number after the i, de first number for the gen and the later 3 numbers. After that you know most about it.

You mostly only have K CPU's or Non-K CPU's. Pretty easy stuff

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

both just mess up

and both are running out of numbers

HD 7000? so how about the old Radeon 7000 series?
they skip number not to mess with their 8000 & 9000 series back before (like 8500/9100/9200/9250/9500/9550/9600/pro/9700/pro/9800/pro)

after AGP phase out, we are dealing with lot's of rebranding from both sides.

I was not yet into PC tech when the 7000 series was out.

I personally think the Intel naming scheme is easy, especially the i series CPU's.

You just look at the number after the i, de first number for the gen and the later 3 numbers. After that you know most about it.

You mostly only have K CPU's or Non-K CPU's. Pretty easy stuff

Same for GPUs.

First number is generation and then tier. :)

Intel also had "Core 2" once instead of "i". They changed it ages ago.

Nvidia actually sticked with their numbering scheme for the longest.

Amd did the change after 7000 series, its not like eqch generation will be compeltely differenr and confusing. They are doing 200 -> 300 -> 400 etc. Now :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

The only bad thing about it, is the fact that they rehashed their old GPU chips and gave them new names which in no way are linked to the old ones.

I still have to Google the 7870 or whatever, just because I can't remember it's a 280X or 290X or whatever.

All their CPU lines are alright, the new GPU names are fine too.

Why Google when you have my post....

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Why Google when you have my post....

I said Googled, but I actually just use your thread, I have it bookmarked ;)

CZluAHy.png

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It's like this:

- i(3/5/7)

they all have different attributes. i3's are usually dual cores with hyper threading, i5 is quad core, i7 is quad (or more) with HT.

Except for the mobile parts, where they got i5 and i7 CPUs that are dual core, and the i5 has hyperthreading.