Is Nvidia 3D Vision still worth getting in 2015?

YoshiDomin8or

Hey all,

I've had an interest in 3D for quite a while but have never gotten around to it.

I've always considered using Nvidia 3D Vision but with VR around the corner such as Oculus Rift and HTC/ Valve Vive, i've been wondering if I should wait until the release of these to try them.

Now I know that they are completely different in a huge way but if anyone has had experience with 3D Vision feel free to share or link to another thread if there is one.

Really the main question is, is 3D Vision still worth getting?

Thanks peeps!

I have a 3D tv, it is a pretty dead technology, gaming on it is fun but like you said VR is coming soon and is a lot better. 

It's pretty good but I wouldn't advise getting the nvidea kit if you have a 3d tv just get the ir glasses and you'll save a bunch of money. I sometimes do a bit of 3d gaming on my projector and while it is a cool experience it's not a game changer as you might think. 

in summary it's cool but if you can wait for occulus then you should.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

I bought the Nvidia 3D Vision, but I would definetly say it isn' t worth it. While playing games in 3D is fairly simple it gets confusing for your eyes. You try to look at something that seems farther away so your eyes adjust their focus, but in reality the object is the exact same distance ( the distance from your eye to the screen) so they refocus and the process tend to cycle endlessly especially when sniping in fps games. Of course you can adjust the depth of the 3D to a shallower setting which does help, but makes things look less real. Overall I found it to be an unthrilling experience.

With a good monitor, and most importantly with good games, it is absolutely worth it in my opinion.

But the problem is, there are no more good games coming out that are optimized for 3D Vision.

The thing is, if the game is not properly optimized, you won't have a lot of fun. I tried many games and with many, I found myself turning 3D Vision off again pretty quickly. Especially lighting, shadow or smoke/fog effects often render incorrectly, which is a pain for your eyes.

But then there are the "3D vision ready" games (List). When everything is rendered at the correct depth and all the effects work, the overall experience can be spectacular! And this list is not complete. Notable games missing, that have perfect 3D Vision support are Tomb Raider (2013), Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light. Especially the Metro series... it's immersive like nothing you've ever seen... Will keep you on the edge of your seat. :D

So... is it still worth it?

If you already have a compatible monitor (with Lightboost!) and a strong enough graphics card (minimum 770 or 680 for 1080p), I'd say go for it. Especially if you have not yet played those games I mentioned. The extra investment is not that much, and as I said, for some games the experience is simply fantastic.

But if you'd have to make a bigger investment to get into 3D Vision, then it will probably be better to just wait for the next generation, i.e. VR. (Since almost no new games coming out 2015 will support 3D Vision anyway...) 

MSI Z77A-GD55 | Core i7-3770K @ 4.2 GHz (Noctua NH-D14) | Zotac GTX 980 @ 1.4 GHz (Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme IV) | 16 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 | 120 GB Samsung 840 SSD | 1 TB Seagate HDD | Lian Li PC-9F

I considered it once, then I saw that the cost of the glasses, added to the cost of the monitor, added to the Nvidia IR emitter would, otherwise spent, put me into an entirely different echelon of GPU and/or monitor. So I did that instead.

The 3D part no but the 144hz...yes absolutely.

<p>CPU: Intel i7 4790k(4.9GHz), Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2 way SLI) PSU: EVGA 850w G2 Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer, EK,Alphacool,Bitspower custom loop.

“Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.”

Albert Einstein 14 December 1930

if you can get it cheap it's fun for a while but it gets tiring on the eyes quickly (i have used 3d vision 1)

wouldn't worry about game support, most directx titles will do fine 

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

wouldn't worry about game support, most directx titles will do fine 

In theory, yes.

But few games really work that well.

In practice, you have to make compromises like lowering the details and switching off some lighting, shadows and/or post-processing effects. There are lots of games that do not render properly with max. settings.

MSI Z77A-GD55 | Core i7-3770K @ 4.2 GHz (Noctua NH-D14) | Zotac GTX 980 @ 1.4 GHz (Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme IV) | 16 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 | 120 GB Samsung 840 SSD | 1 TB Seagate HDD | Lian Li PC-9F

In theory, yes.

But few games really work that well.

In practice, you have to make compromises like lowering the details and switching off some lighting, shadows and/or post-processing effects. There are lots of games that do not render properly with max. settings.

that's right, and nowadays very few games will be completely optimized for 3d vision

it's one of the reasons i stopped using it, also my gpu was old and couldn't keep up the fps

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

• 8 months later...

Buddy i gurantee i have more knowledge about nvidia 3D than any if these guys above, I have had nvidia 3D surround version 1 monitors and version 1 glasses, Then i sold them an bought 3x nvidia 3D version 2 and version 2 glasses, Nvidia 3D surround is stunning !!! It's true there wont be many new games coming out with 3D support but tuere is still over 500 games that already have 3D support, Some of the best were Tomb Raider, Deadspace, Batman, And that other guy complaing about the depth lol, U can adjust depth an the convergance using hotkeys, My steam name is same as my username here, add me if u want to know more.

Buddy i gurantee i have more knowledge about nvidia 3D than any if these guys above, I have had nvidia 3D surround version 1 monitors and version 1 glasses, Then i sold them an bought 3x nvidia 3D version 2 and version 2 glasses, Nvidia 3D surround is stunning !!! It's true there wont be many new games coming out with 3D support but tuere is still over 500 games that already have 3D support, Some of the best were Tomb Raider, Deadspace, Batman, And that other guy complaing about the depth lol, U can adjust depth an the convergance using hotkeys, My steam name is same as my username here, add me if u want to know more.

Woah step back guys.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass