Please help find a affordable power supply for a friend!

tdlab
Go to solution Solved by Aniallation,

He is looking for a upgrade for his pc, and wanted to get a better gpu. Any suggestions? He is low on cash but will save up for it if need be. No specific budget but as low as you can please :)

What do you reccomend for a PSU / GPU? I was thinking maybe a 500 watt and a 270x. User Dotoren on the forums here agreed that it would be a good choice. Anyone have any good power supplies that they can find that are cheap and reliable? He can't afford a system blowout.

The best bang for your buck if you want a good solution will be a good mid-range PSU like the XFX ProSeries 550W, and an R9 270.

Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 270 2GB IceQ X² Video Card  ($126.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $171.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-22 10:03 EDT-0400

I'm using a similar setup right now and I'm happy with it. Solid 60FPS in GTA 5 at 1080p high, can't complain at all. However for AAA gaming, your friend might want to consider upgrading CPU in the future.

Hi,

I am trying to help my friend upgrade his pc a little. He currently has the following specs:

GA-78LMT-USB3 Mobo

AMD FX-4300 Vishera Quad-Core processor

8gb DDR3

500gb drive

A couple fans

a wireless adapter

and the Nvidia GT610 gpu.

He is looking for a upgrade for his pc, and wanted to get a better gpu. Any suggestions? He is low on cash but will save up for it if need be. No specific budget but as low as you can please :)

What do you reccomend for a PSU / GPU? I was thinking maybe a 500 watt and a 270x. User Dotoren on the forums here agreed that it would be a good choice. Anyone have any good power supplies that they can find that are cheap and reliable? He can't afford a system blowout.

Thank you! We really appreciate this.

Easy Cx550 or cx600 for like 30 bucks with rebates.

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

Corsair CX600M.

I would highly suggest getting modular/semi-modular, I have built PCs with both non-modular power supplies and semi-modular power supplies, and trust me when I say this, semi-modular power supplies look a shitload better than non-modular power supplies, and are a ton easier to cable manage as you only have the 24 pin and cpu power cables already attached, then you plug in the rest that you need.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

seasonic 520 or 620w or xfx 500-600w

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

stop recommending corsair cx units..they are garbage!

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

they aren't going to listen if you just post blatantly rather then giving them a notification by quoting @techguru

"Rawr XD"

The best bang for your buck if you want a good solution will be a good mid-range PSU like the XFX ProSeries 550W, and an R9 270.

Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 270 2GB IceQ X² Video Card  ($126.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $171.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-22 10:03 EDT-0400

I'm using a similar setup right now and I'm happy with it. Solid 60FPS in GTA 5 at 1080p high, can't complain at all. However for AAA gaming, your friend might want to consider upgrading CPU in the future.

"Rawr XD"

Due to the modest power draw of the system (under 250wDC), an entry level power supply like the Corsair CX430v3 and EVGA 500B for <$30 USD after MIR are good if you looking for the cheapest options.

Of course, it would be helpful if you can provide a link to the store that your friend is buying from. This way we can know what's available to you at what price.

Thank you all! and 

Due to the modest power draw of the system (under 250wDC), an entry level power supply like the Corsair CX430v3 and EVGA 500B for <$30 USD after MIR are good if you looking for the cheapest options.

Of course, it would be helpful if you can provide a link to the store that your friend is buying from. This way we can know what's available to you at what price.

@quan289 He said he bought it from walmart's website. And sorry if I forgot to mention but we are buying in USD and have decided to go with this:

Special shoutout to you, thank you!

Thank you all! and 

@quan289 He said he bought it from walmart's website. And sorry if I forgot to mention but we are buying in USD and have decided to go with this:

Special shoutout to you, thank you!

You quoted me twice. Is the second quote supposed to be to Aniallation regarding the XFX ProSeries 550w, and you will be getting that unit? If so, then indeed. That's also a solid, entry level unit that offer better build quality and longer warranty than the other units mentioned.

You quoted me twice. Is the second quote supposed to be to Aniallation regarding the XFX ProSeries 550w, and you will be getting that unit? If so, then indeed. That's also a solid, entry level unit that offer better build quality and longer warranty than the other units mentioned.

My apologies. I must have not been paying attention. Thank you also for your reply.