Just ordered an Asus Sabertooth X99

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_X99/

It was a stealth release!  I've been waiting for it, since it's the last piece I need for my build. Been checking release dates pretty much daily, and last night I did my typical "X99 motherboard" search on Amazon, and it popped up!  Said it was first sold on Amazon on April 6th?  Has to be a mistake.  Anyway, it comes with 3 thermistors.  Question is, where do I place them?  Doesn't the CPU already measure temps?  Not really sure what to do with them or how to attach them, but they exist, so I must make use of them!

With my 3D printer I hold thermistors in place using goopy RTV silicon and kapton tape.  Not really liking that idea.

I don't get it, why those brown ram and PCI slots, its like taking something good and making it bad because you ordered too many of them 

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_X99/

It was a stealth release!  I've been waiting for it, since it's the last piece I need for my build. Been checking release dates pretty much daily, and last night I did my typical "X99 motherboard" search on Amazon, and it popped up!  Said it was first sold on Amazon on April 6th?  Has to be a mistake.  Anyway, it comes with 3 thermistors.  Question is, where do I place them?  Doesn't the CPU already measure temps?  Not really sure what to do with them or how to attach them, but they exist, so I must make use of them!

With my 3D printer I hold thermistors in place using goopy RTV silicon and kapton tape.  Not really liking that idea.

Thosre for instant temp readings, for pro overclockers. 

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

I don't get it, why those brown ram and PCI slots, its like taking something good and making it bad because you ordered too many of them 

To match any noctua fans you may have.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

na thats stupid ^^ all stealth and shit looks stupid with those colors

But still not as stupid as the "Black Edition" from Gigabyte that is freakin yellow

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

+1

A majority of good ASUS boards stand out, that's how I can always tell its an ASUS board.

If you want to complain about anything, how about them speaker plug colours blurgh

I don't like the brown, but I don't hate it.  I'm just glad they're not red.  

Thosre for instant temp readings, for pro overclockers. 

So then I would use one for the CPU?  How would I attach it?  It would need to be as close as possible.  

It looks outstanding!

I always thought those were supposed to go in PWM fan slots.

Thermistors just measure the temps.  They have their own headers.  

+1

A majority of good ASUS boards stand out, that's how I can always tell its an ASUS board.

If you want to complain about anything, how about them speaker plug colours blurgh

lol  Seriously with those speaker connectors!!  Way to cheap out, Asus!!   :wacko:

lol Seriously with those speaker connectors!! Way to cheap out, Asus!! :wacko:

I have a £60 board that's black and red on the IO and it looks better than that.

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously considering buying this board, let us know what its like pros/cons, which cpu you planning to use with it ?

Anyway, it comes with 3 thermistors.  Question is, where do I place them?  Doesn't the CPU already measure temps?  Not really sure what to do with them or how to attach them, but they exist, so I must make use of them!

Luckkyyyy, they came with your motherboard, I had to purchase a 3-pack from the ASUS store.  

Honestly place them wherever you want, but there's nothing really critical that you need to monitor that isn't already monitored.  You could monitor your in-case temperatures in different zones, or tape it to the back of a reservoir if you're doing water cooling.  I can't remember if Fan Xpert allows you to change fan speeds based on thermistors yet, I feel like it might.  In that case you could base your fan speeds in different zones on their respective temperatures.  

There are quite a number of options, have fun  :)

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

Not sure I'm a huge fan of this cover up the PCB with plastic "armour" trend.  I like my electronics to look like electronics.

I do like the sabertooth colour scheme though.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I love the sabretooth boards, but man.. I wish it had PS/2 on it.  

Seriously considering buying this board, let us know what its like pros/cons, which cpu you planning to use with it ?

I've only had it a short time now, and haven't had much time to "play" with settings, other than a simple overclock to 4.5GHz.  I'm using a 5930K.  No issues yet!   It has a little "assistant" fan on the shroud.  It's a bit loud.  Actually, loudest fan in my case right now, but I keep it running for whatever reason.  It has a little clean cycle you can turn off or on.  You can set it to cycle in the other direction to clear any dust.  There are a few settings like having it run when you power on / off, or certain times of day, or after certain amount of time running. Like every 30 mins.    I kind of like it.  Other than that, it's a really nice looking motherboard.  The shroud is a really nice quality, there are a ton of fan connectors, and every other connector you could want.  USB 3.1 built in.  I'm happy with it.

Asus support still sucks, so I hope to have to never deal with them.

Luckkyyyy, they came with your motherboard, I had to purchase a 3-pack from the ASUS store.  

Honestly place them wherever you want, but there's nothing really critical that you need to monitor that isn't already monitored.  You could monitor your in-case temperatures in different zones, or tape it to the back of a reservoir if you're doing water cooling.  I can't remember if Fan Xpert allows you to change fan speeds based on thermistors yet, I feel like it might.  In that case you could base your fan speeds in different zones on their respective temperatures.  

There are quite a number of options, have fun  :)

Yeah, you know, that's exactly what I thought to do.  I actually have it so I can check the ambient temps, both inside and outside the case.  Pretty cool actually.  

I love the sabretooth boards, but man.. I wish it had PS/2 on it.  

I didn't notice till you mentioned it.  I'm kind of glad it doesn't have a PS/2, since I haven't used a PS/2 connector in I don't know how long.  It's probably been 10 years.