Experiences with non-techies

11 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Exactly what I thought;

https://products.office.com/en-us/mac/microsoft-office-for-mac

Though that makes a very expensive "PowerPoint" laptop.

That's part of my point that even if you can get MS office on a Mac you still could get an decent performing Windows PC to use ms office and web browse on for a lot less money.  Even accounting for getting one that has good battery life and isn't as poorly made as a Toshiba.  (Ewww get it away from me! lol)

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

I'm reasonable so please tell me these uses you speak of?

Btw the surface book is so expensive because it's a high power tablet with a GPU keyboard dock included.  There isn't currently any competition for it so that along with the super compact tablet form factor allow MS to get away with an Apple level price hike.  

OS X MacOS allows you to use programs like Final Cut, Garageband, Logic Pro, etc. I know there are very decent alternatives on Windows (Adobe Suite, Audacity etc.) but some people might make better content using Mac-specific programs (see Dave Lee, MKBHD, Brandon Li, etc.)

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

8 minutes ago, themctipers said:

I'm typing this on an iPhone and you're on an iPad. :) 

Who told you about my iPad?  lol

Seriously though *ipad* not MacBook/Mac desktop.  A tablet is meant for entirely difference uses than a desktop or laptop.  It's like comparing bunnies to ponies.   

4 minutes ago, themctipers said:

It's a status symbol. :) well at least in my culture 

also hackentosh

More like a symbol that people would rather choose a shiny Mac than getting to eat food for the rest of the year.  lol 

What about Hackintosh?  Elaborate please.  

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

What about Hackintosh?  Elaborate please.  

If you really enjoy MacOS just use a hackentosh on a laptop :) 

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Who told you about my iPad?  lol

Seriously though *ipad* not MacBook/Mac desktop.  A tablet is meant for entirely difference uses than a desktop or laptop.  It's like comparing bunnies to ponies.   

Well for starters they're both disgusting to me. 

iPad Pro. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

Very few laptops can be hackintoshed well.

Specs:

Just now, BingoFishy said:

Very few laptops can be hackintoshed well.

Then..

buy those laptops?

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

Then..

buy those laptops?

They might not be very good laptops.

Specs:

Just now, BingoFishy said:

They might not be very good laptops.

Ok..

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

6 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Ok..

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Y'know what, never mind.

http://protechlists.com/hackintosh-laptops/

These are actually pretty nice.

EDIT: Especially the XPS 13. 

Specs:

57 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I think this counts as suitable for this topic:

Just a couple days ago I was at Best Buy looking for something (Computer power cord that they didn't have surprise surprise. ?) and I saw a family looking to buy a Mac for their daughter for college.  I tried to suggest they consider a Windows laptop but the sheeple that they were proceeded to say that they are an Apple family and rattled off a list of Apple computers that they own.  I tried to point out that a Mac won't have MS office that would be needed for college work but they just said they use google docs.  As if google docs makes everything ok.  Nope it doesn't.  

A few minutes later I saw an employee getting a MacBook (MacBook Air I think it was) out of a locked cage for these sheeple to buy.  I decided it was best to leave because I was having a very hard time not bashing my head into a wall from having to see people be so stupid.  For having sheeple tunnel vision.  Also I was fighting the urge to find more people to save from the "knowledgable" /s Best Buy employees attempts to push people into making poor purchase decisions.

As everyone has said... MS Office for Mac is fantastic. 

Also, Apple computers aren't bad. Sure, for specs on paper you pay a premium but you get a very, very well build system, and capable OS that in a lot of ways is superior (in my opinion) to Windows, and if you have a lot of existing Apple products they work together almost seamlessly if you set them up correctly (which by the way... Apple has been doing simple so damn well for the last 6 years). 

You're also asking someone to start college by learning a completely foreign operating system (even if there is a lot of crossover), and if the rest of her family is Apple, then chances are her laptop won't work with a lot of other devices around the house. 

4 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Also, Apple computers aren't bad. Sure, for specs on paper you pay a premium but you get a very, very well build system, and capable OS that in a lot of ways is superior (in my opinion) to Windows, and if you have a lot of existing Apple products they work together almost seamlessly if you set them up correctly (which by the way... Apple has been doing simple so damn well for the last 6 years). 

Agreed. There's a lot of benefits of a mac over Windows.

Specs:

15 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Well for starters they're both disgusting to me. 

iPad Pro. 

Idk that I enjoy MacOS.  It's been over a decade since I last used a Mac.  That my parents owned.

Bunnies and ponies are NOT disgusting.  ?

I use an iPad Air not a pro btw.

9 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

The ridiculous cost of a Mac with it's terrible cost vs. performance ratio completely negates any benefits of MacOS or Mac build quality.  That build quality isn't always that great if that apple DIY repair guy on YouTube is right.  The guy people were worried about getting sued by Apple.  I'm pretty sure I've heard that Mac laptops have crap cooling that makes them run too hot and break easy.  Not to mention that I know Linus had shown how at least one model of Mac desktop thermal throttles either the CPU or GPU or maybe both due again to a bad cooling solution.  

He's gone so far as to all but prove that Apple designs their computers to fail easier than they should and may even be designed to fail at set lifespans.  

Apple does do some things right but they do a lot wrong too.  MS might have a lot to complain about but Apple isn't the saint the sheeple masses think it is.

11 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Agreed. There's a lot of benefits of a mac over Windows.

What good are any potential benefits if people can't afford to pay Apple their life savings to buy a Mac?

If Apple dramatically lowered its prices and used some common sense then it'd be much more worth considering.

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What good are any potential benefits if people can't afford to pay Apple their life savings to buy a Mac?

If Apple dramatically lowered its prices and used some common sense then it'd be much more worth considering.

Apple has never been a computer for everyone - their pricing made sure of that. But it's played it's part well as it created a premium product that is seen as a status symbol. That said, I've bought all my Apple computers because they were good value at the time, and I've always favored Apple's mobile platforms over windows due to their reliability, durability, power, and battery life. 

But why? They're already selling a bucket load of them. Why change a model that works? - To be fair though, I agree that they're a bit overpriced at the moment as they haven't updated the model line in a while... 

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

The ridiculous cost of a Mac with it's terrible cost vs. performance ratio completely negates any benefits of MacOS or Mac build quality.  That build quality isn't always that great if that apple DIY repair guy on YouTube is right.  The guy people were worried about getting sued by Apple.  I'm pretty sure I've heard that Mac laptops have crap cooling that makes them run too hot and break easy.  Not to mention that I know Linus had shown how at least one model of Mac desktop thermal throttles either the CPU or GPU or maybe both due again to a bad cooling solution.  

He's gone so far as to all but prove that Apple designs their computers to fail easier than they should and may even be designed to fail at set lifespans.  

Apple does do some things right but they do a lot wrong too.  MS might have a lot to complain about but Apple isn't the saint the sheeple masses think it is.

"The apple DIY guy on Youtube" knows what fails on a mac because he mostly only repairs macs.

He commented about an ASUS he repaired, he said it was garbage.

Apple make good quality laptops, they are on par with other pro-consumer grade laptops (Price, build quality and spec wise) like the Dell XPS.

All computer manufacuters produce stuff that is designed to fail. What is the point of upgrading your Sandybridge laptop to a Skylake laptop? 

26 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Idk that I enjoy MacOS.  It's been over a decade since I last used a Mac.  That my parents owned.

Bunnies and ponies are NOT disgusting.  ?

I use an iPad Air not a pro btw.

I have an iPad Air also! :P 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I think this counts as suitable for this topic:

Just a couple days ago I was at Best Buy looking for something (Computer power cord that they didn't have surprise surprise. ?) and I saw a family looking to buy a Mac for their daughter for college.  I tried to suggest they consider a Windows laptop but the sheeple that they were proceeded to say that they are an Apple family and rattled off a list of Apple computers that they own.  I tried to point out that a Mac won't have MS office that would be needed for college work but they just said they use google docs.  As if google docs makes everything ok.  Nope it doesn't.  

A few minutes later I saw an employee getting a MacBook (MacBook Air I think it was) out of a locked cage for these sheeple to buy.  I decided it was best to leave because I was having a very hard time not bashing my head into a wall from having to see people be so stupid.  For having sheeple tunnel vision.  Also I was fighting the urge to find more people to save from the "knowledgable" /s Best Buy employees attempts to push people into making poor purchase decisions.

Although I hate Apple with a passion. There are a lot of college students going to mac. First of all Office 365 works on Windows and MAC. So yeah, MS office is on MAC now. Some people like Mac OS better than Windows. Considering recent events and Microsoft forcing shit on to people, I dont blame them. If they already own many MAC's, it really doesnt make much sense for them to get a Windows machine. I mean, who says they know how to use Windows? The only reason I have Windows is, I started with Windows 3.11 and worked my way up. Im sure if I started on Mac OS, Id be a MAC person. Now I will say, I consider Apple to be like a cult. Its like there customers worship them like PC gamer's worship our Lord and Savior Gaben. 

Times are changing. Hell Im considering Linux, especially if MS kills up Win32. If they lock shit to the Windows Store, Ill be done with MS forever. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Although I hate Apple with a passion. There are a lot of college students going to mac. First of all Office 365 works on Windows and MAC. So yeah, MS office is on MAC now. Some people like Mac OS better than Windows. Considering recent events and Microsoft forcing shit on to people, I dont blame them. If they already own many MAC's, it really doesnt make much sense for them to get a Windows machine. I mean, who says they know how to use Windows? The only reason I have Windows is, I started with Windows 3.11 and worked my way up. Im sure if I started on Mac OS, Id be a MAC person. Now I will say, I consider Apple to be like a cult. Its like there customers worship them like PC gamer's worship our Lord and Savior Gaben. 

Times are changing. Hell Im considering Linux, especially if MS kills up Win32. If they lock shit to the Windows Store, Ill be done with MS forever. 

ill be hackentoshing. i already have a .dmg somewhere and will install that shit to my pc asap

although i am stuck to... 30 fps csgo at highest settings without AA or vsync... :(

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

50 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The first desktop my family ever owned was some old Mac desktop so I started on MacOS when I was very young.  But I've used Windows for years since middle school with no trouble.

Office 365 is a scam by MS to squeeze more money out of people who don't know better.

Even older versions of MS office are still perfectly fine to use even now.  I'm still using ms word, PowerPoint, excel 2007 with no trouble at all.  The only reason to buy new copies of ms office is if you need additional computer authorizations available. 

Who or what is Gaben?

Apple is certainly a cult.  

47 minutes ago, themctipers said:

ill be hackentoshing. i already have a .dmg somewhere and will install that shit to my pc asap

although i am stuck to... 30 fps csgo at highest settings without AA or vsync... :(

Careful.  Isn't saying you're going to do that a forum no no?  >_>  (Wouldn't want you to get in trouble.)

What's a .dmg?

5 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Careful.  Isn't saying you're going to do that a forum no no?  >_>  (Wouldn't want you to get in trouble.)

What's a .dmg?

An OS X executable Mac equivalent of an ISO

Specs:

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Office 365 is a scam by MS to squeeze more money out of people who don't know better.

Even older versions of MS office are still perfectly fine to use even now.  I'm still using ms word, PowerPoint, excel 2007 with no trouble at all.  The only reason to buy new copies of ms office is if you need additional computer authorizations available. 

I use LibreOffice, personally. 

Specs: