What is the best software to backup Windows 7 or 8.1

DarthVader1022

Hello Everyone,

Ok before I get started this is kind of new to me on how to use the built in backup software that Windows has,but first thing is I have never had to use a backup before ,reason being is if I ever had issue with my PC I just usually just format my HD and reload Windows if I can not figure out the issue I may be having with my OS.

Now I would like to try this to see how it works and see if it would be just like installing a fresh install of Windows minus having to download all the updates Windows has when you first install Windows as most you know thos updates take for ever..

I would also like to do a backup of both 7 and 8.1 ether on a External HD,USB drive or DVD's if this is possible?..Now if this is something that is possible does it do the backup as a Imagine or does it do it like a Windows install setup?..

What I trying to find out also does the Windows backup the entire hard drive such as all your software you installed,pictures,music,games etc.so when you want to use this backup will it install everything or just the OS.

Now this is the one that gets me confused the most is I know where to look for the Windows 7 backup is,I am just not sure where it is on Windows 8.1 as I am still new to Windows 8.1..

I am also kind of curious to see what everyone else uses to back up there Windows 7 or 8.1 besides using the built software in backup on Windows..

Also is there any good YouTube video tutorials out there on how to do what I am looking to do..

Thank You in advance..

just set up windows backup and follow all the steps...

you can choose what to back up, where to back up, and how often to back up

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I use the included option found in both versions. In Windows 8.1, it's a little more buried, but you can still find it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

acronis trueimage

best imaging  program

how if you mean just backing up files thats diff

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Thanks everyone..

@techguru,I was not sure if it backups everything that is on the hard drive or if it only backups the files needed to run Windows such as if you where installing Windows for the first time like doing a fresh install.

This is the part that was confusing me..again this is something I have never done before so this is why I asking..

The other thing is I read some where you can make a Imagine of your hard drive that you can run as a backup of your system is this true and would it work as good as using the backup program that is in Windows..?

The acronis trueimagine I will have to check that program out..I am always willing to try out something new....

Thanks again everyone for the info..

For Windows 8, check out File History. It is pretty darn cool. Sadly it is a limited to only backup your documents, picture, and so on. It won't backup your OneDrive folder, or any other folder in a different drive. Sadly, also, there doesn't seam to have any improvement on that regard in Windows 10 (no one asks as few knows this features).

Anyway, it keeps the latest version of your files, and backups the bits that changed from files. So you can use an external drive or network drive as your backup, and your system can do stuff like 10min backups. While it sounds crazy, it is not. Here is how it works. Like I said it backups the changed bits if any. So that means your system isn't busy like crazy doing backups, and as it's only the bits that changes, it is super quick to do. It doesn't affect system performance, even when you set it to do backups every 10min, and your external drive won't fill up like crazy. Using File History panel, you can also go back in time on a file just to view the old version, or restore it.

As mentioned, The latest version of files are saved on disk, and can be accessed with any system or Windows. If you re-install Windows, Once you turn back up File History, it will scan the existing setup and resume the backup.

HOwveer, I also recommend to do a full backup on disks every now and then.

Im am curently working on a big new PC build and now i want to make a full system backup of my SSD drive and want both of the partions to be in this backup.

i have been looking at the one build in windows 8.1 and it wants to backup too many drives.. som im looking for a 3. part software there can do the work of this kind of backup to an external harddrive..

Thats just expensiv..

But i have been looking at  AOMEI Backupper. i have used it once when i changed my OS HDD for some time ago..

Is that any good for backup the system disk to like desaster recovery and so?

I use Crashplan to backup all my files to the cloud and my local NAS (2 copies is better than 1). For imaging, I use Macrium Reflect Free to image my OS and games manually each week or 2 weeks, when I think about it.

Well... i just need some software to make a full system backup of my SSD drive... the rest is there another plan for.

Well... i just need some software to make a full system backup of my SSD drive... the rest is there another plan for.

Macrium, AOMEI, EaseUS...you have plenty of choices my friend :) No need to pay either, most of them have free versions good enough for a simple image.

well... now that i already have te AOMEI prodoucts on my harddrive can i give that the first try.

Thanks for the help :)

Yes it is expensive that is why I only downloaded the trial version of it to see how well it works,now don't get me wrong on this but if it works as good as I have read I do not mind paying the money out for it.

This would be like buying your computer parts when you build a new PC you have to pay for something that will be dependable and will do what you want..Now if there is free ones out there I will try them also..

As of right now I am just reading all the tutorial on how to properly use Acronis and once I read everything I will try it out,the trial version is for 30 days to try it out..

I would like to see Linus do a You Tube video on what he thinks is the best software to backup Windows 7 or 8.1..