So I just spend 6 hours without power

Misanthrope

A couple of things

1) Everybody, absolutely everybody needs a laptop

2) I need to move the fuck out of a hot region: You can sort of warm yourself up without power wearing layers, blankets, starting a fire, etc. You absolutely cannot cool yourself up without power or water.

3) Failing 1 the next thing I am buying as soon as I find an open store is several power banks and spare batteries: My mobile and tablets could have saved my sanity a bit but I killed their low battery after the first 2.4 hours

4) I have a serious addition problem and cannot live without a computer. I used to read books, I used to have a few friends and talked to a few people, now I feel more cut off from the world without a computer than I have felt cut of from the world in a week long of having mobility problems.

5) I make a lot of fucking rants, so here are some bacon cookies, thanks LTT forums for your patience and for reading:

6) Get a generator, you can find them pretty cheap, a 3000 watt one can power your computer, AC and a fridge.

bacon_chocolate_chip_cookies_with_maple_

You can all have a bacon cookie and name this the best thread ever because of them

Edit: Adding Mentalguy's excellent suggestion.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Get a UPS for your Modem/Router - you may be able to keep internet for a few hours as well. 

I'm into Ham radio, so, I can always just power up my radio for a bit (It runs off of a battery bank I have set up). 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Get a UPS for your Modem/Router - you may be able to keep internet for a few hours as well. 

I'm into Ham radio, so, I can always just power up my radio for a bit (It runs off of a battery bank I have set up). 

Chances are if his ISP is nearby, they also may have lost power.  They might have generator nvm :P

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Just got through 2 and a half days without power. It was the worst. 

[MOBO:Asus sabertooth z97 Mark 1] [CPU:Intel i7 4790k 4.6 Ghz] [GPU:Asus gtx 980 STRIX SLI] [RAM:Corsair vengance 16GB] [HDD:Western digital 2TB black series] [SSD:Samsung 850 EVO 500GB] [PSU:EVGA 850w G2 Supernova] [CASE:NZXT Phantom 820 ATX] [KEYBOARD:Corsair K70 RGB] [MOUSE:Logitech G502]

That was not the main issue I have a decent data plan for my mobile and it was working. The issue was that I was not expecting it and only had like 46% charge and using mobile data it just fucking drains it in a hurry.

I need power banks, all of them.

-------

Current Rig

-------

You can have all of the cookies I'll make more.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Chances are if his ISP is nearby, they also may have lost power.  They might have generator nvm :P

Very true. Most of my outages are just my block, not a whole section, and then my internet works. 

Other times, yeah, it could have issues, or, yes they could have generators.

I just say.... have another way of communicating, and also entertaining yourself in the event of prolonged issues. Medical emergencies and a dead cellphone is not fun..... neither is staring at a wall. 

I don't mind going without power, usually it means it's time to go outside or phone a friend and see if they have power, then go over...

But I don't get powercuts all that often. Usually just brownouts during a lightning storm. My friends in town have planned maintenance all the time - that might take them out for half a day.

Sig under construction.

I know that feel. i was once roughly 24 hrs without power. It is the worst thing ever when you want to be lazy haha. Thank goodness for wireless hotspots.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

get a generator, you can find them pretty cheap, a 3000 watt one can power your computer, AC and a fridge.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

why would you blow a heap of money on power banks  there not going to last that long.

just run a transformer on a car battery.

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I need power banks, all of them.

I love Anker's banks. For portability. 

My banks though............not exactly portable? I can charge my phone a few times though, so, that's nice. 

post-49487-0-35907600-1428905652.jpg

If youre having power issues i feel bad for you son, i got 99 problems but power aint one.

Solar panels

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

You can have all of the cookies I'll make more.

Thank you dearly. 

[MOBO:Asus sabertooth z97 Mark 1] [CPU:Intel i7 4790k 4.6 Ghz] [GPU:Asus gtx 980 STRIX SLI] [RAM:Corsair vengance 16GB] [HDD:Western digital 2TB black series] [SSD:Samsung 850 EVO 500GB] [PSU:EVGA 850w G2 Supernova] [CASE:NZXT Phantom 820 ATX] [KEYBOARD:Corsair K70 RGB] [MOUSE:Logitech G502]

get a generator, you can find them pretty cheap, a 3000 watt one can power your computer, AC and a fridge.

Great, I'll add it to my survival list

-------

Current Rig

-------

I think there are some legit issues if people can't deal without power for six hours.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

I think there are some legit issues if people can't deal without power for six hours.

Agreed, that's covered in 4)

-------

Current Rig

-------

That's actually quite long... Enough time to get annoying in terms of fridges not running and actually being an issue in that regard.

If a power outage happened right now, I'd have a laptop with 10 hours battery life and a phone as a personal hotspot if really needed... I'm not dependent on the internet tho :P I can survive without it...

Also, your avatar...I looooove that album!!!

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

you know what i always did when power is out?

i took my bicycle and cycle rounds my neighbourhood till the power's back

you know what i always did when power is out?

i took my bicycle and cycle rounds my neighbourhood till the power's back

Not a bad idea, normally I would go for a walk or something but I am still dealing with a back injury, can't stand or sit (or walk) for more than a few minutes without it becoming extremely painful

-------

Current Rig

-------

Back in my day we didn't have power. We rubbed two sticks together for heat.

[spoiler=REDWING]  REDWING   | Custom Hard Line Water Cooling Loop   |   Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz   |   Asus Maximus VII Ranger   |   Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-2400 2x8GB   |   2 x Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming (SLI)   |   Corsair AX860i   |   Samsung 850 Pro 512GB   |   Corsair Obsidian 750D   |   Corsair K95 RGB & M65 RGB   |   Samsung SyncMaster S27B370

Project Redwing Build Log

[spoiler=ZedNAS] 'ZedNAS' Home NAS Build   |   Intel Xeon E3 1231 v3   |   ASRock Rack E3C224D4I   |   Kingston KVR16E11/8I 2x8GB   |   Corsair HX750   |   6 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200RPM HDD   |   Fractal Design Node 304 mITX Black   |   FreeNAS w/ PleX   |   ZFS Raid-Z2 (16TB Effective)   |

Not a bad idea, normally I would go for a walk or something but I am still dealing with a back injury, can't stand or sit (or walk) for more than a few minutes without it becoming extremely painful

aww that's too bad, hope you recovered soon

The longest power outage I have ever had was 45min.

Statistically you are less than 5min without electricity per year here.

Back in my day we didn't have power. We rubbed two sticks together for heat.

So that's still the norm over there in WA outside of Perth right? :P

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14