CPU and APU?

Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

So a Quad core APU with a integrated graphics + GPU

wont do better than a Quad core without integrated Graphics + GPU?

For all types of gamming

That's vague because cores don't really mean much necessarily.

If the chip is essentially the same(but without the graphics and the same frequency), it will perform the same.

So I built a computer with a FX-6300 which has no integrated GPU

I am being told that having an APU is better even when your not using the integrated GPU for graphics

can some one please confurm this and explane alittle as there are some things i just dont understand yet

Thanks!

P.S. Can you also recommend the best CPU/APU as soon I am planning to make a balls to the walls computer

I am being told that having an APU is better even when your not using the integrated GPU for graphics

can some one please confurm this and explane alittle as there are some things i just dont understand yet

Thanks!

P.S. Can you also recommend the best CPU/APU as soon I am planning to make a balls to the walls computer

Just don't buy an apu it's not cost effective if you are running an discrete gpu :(

if you have a GPU, never buy an APU

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It can be helpful if you're trying to troubleshoot your system because you have integrated graphics. You can Crossfire certain cards with the iGPU in the APU, but for straight up performance, it is not better. Whoever told you that is dead wrong.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You cant have a cpu and an apu, you would have to get a cpu and a graphics card.

The "Best" CPU is technically the Xeon E5 2699... However, thats 4000$... A 4690K will be more than enough...

Most modern APU's have horrible CPU, so having CPU's are usually better.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Thanks!

Not better if you're using a dedicated graphics card. Also, please don't go with the 6300, it's outdated and slow.  The least I'd go for is an 8320, but if you're going balls to the wall go for an i5 4690k or i7 4790k.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

So basically the integrated GPU dose nothing when you got a dedicated graphics card installed?

So basically the integrated GPU dose nothing when you got a dedicated graphics card installed?

Some programs might be able to utilize it(video editing perhaps), but in games, it's useless.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Just don't buy an apu it's not cost effective if you are running an discrete gpu :(

Price is not an issue

Not better if you're using a dedicated graphics card. Also, please don't go with the 6300, it's outdated and slow.  The least I'd go for is an 8320, but if you're going balls to the wall go for an i5 4690k or i7 4790k.

I already built my pc with a FX-6300 6 cores and clocked at 4.2ghz stable don't think its outdated just for gamming, but would like more performance when I am going to get better cards

Depends whether or not you can leverage the compute ability of the APUs graphics cores or not, for a gamer unless you don't have a discrete card an APU makes no sense.

Outside of gaming it can be of use but usually so can a dedicated GPU so...

It does not really help in most cases -_-

For all types of gamming

Price is not an issue

I already built my pc with a FX-6300 6 cores and clocked at 4.2ghz stable don't think its outdated just for gamming, but would like more performance when I am going to get better cards

The 6300 is incredibly outdated.  It will bottleneck most high end cards.  for gaming, the best way to go is with the i5 4690k.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

For all types of gamming

That's vague because cores don't really mean much necessarily.

If the chip is essentially the same(but without the graphics and the same frequency), it will perform the same.

if you have a GPU, never buy an APU

^^ That. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

if you already have the 6300 don't worry about it, because you have a gpu the nice thing about apu is that you can trouble shoot the pc when the gpu is dead on your graphics card.

"If a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live."   -Martin Luther King, Jr

If you want all out, or "Balls to the walls"...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/42LDNG

That

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi.