Florida Middle School Student Charged With Felony Hacking For Changing Desktop Wallpaper

Syntaxvgm

I'm surprised turning off a monitor isn't considered hacking.

I've actually gotten in trouble with my Web Design teacher for that, even got called down into the school's Head Tech Loser's office. She also said I was destroying the computers because I changed the screen resolution. Apparently schools are too lazy to find a tech teacher that graduated with at least a bit of tech knowledge, and just grabs whoever will take the job.

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

just wow. When i was in school i had IT classes which were stupid didnt teach us nothing so i always played around the computer and once i had the great idea of playing games on the school computer but there was one problem they had installed custom controlled version of windows meaning you could not do anything on the computer except use internet and basic programs what i did was found a loophole kinda and stuck a thumb drive to the computer and played gta through that in school and teacher saw that but quess what the teacher only said to close it and that was it and said to focus more on the work assingment. but this is something seriously stupid what that kid did was not hacking by any stretch of imagination and he got punished that badly while something i did i got away whit a slap on the wrist of course i live in finland which has something to do whit it but damm america get your shit together

If I leave my front door unlocked, it's still not legal for my neighbour to walk in.

Social engineering the password doesn't excuse him from repeatedly and illegally accessing the system.  A felony is extreme, but I think they're just trying to scare him.  I don't think any sane person is going to do anything other than give him some community service.

The "he didn't do anything" argument is irrelevant.  The issue is the *access*, not anything he did afterwards.  

Exactly.

And he is not being charged with "hacking."  The only people using that term are here, and ignorant news "reporters" trying to be sensational.

He is being charged with "unauthorized access" aka Florida Statutes Chapter 815.06

And this is not the first time he has been caught doing this.

I grew up in Florida.  On graduation night a high school buddy of mine went with a few other friends, and climbed over the gate of the main breezeway of the school.  Once inside one of them took a fire extinguisher out of it's cabinet and sprayed it on the exterior walls and lockers (being open to the elements it was simply a matter of washing it off with a hose.)

But, in Florida "tampering with a fire safety device" was (maybe still is) a felony.  They were all charged and convicted.  

Sadly my friend turned 18 three days prior to graduation.  All the rest were juveniles at the time so had their records expunged when they became adults.  

He's still a felon.

Don't do stupid shit.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

my old school got pissed at us for instaling chrome, and we are not supposed to change backgrounds, but no teachers care

My school has chrome on all the computers.

But if you check there is an extension to monitor.

Firefox is also installed, and doesnt have the exstension.

Also, you can log in with username JA password 123456 on all the computers, so they cant monitor you.

I do it every day.

I cant be tracked!

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I did so much worse than that in high school to school computers, and the only thing I got was suspended for a day. I wasn't even mad. I got out of class for a day. Just stayed home and played video games. The school administration should be ashamed of themselves. I hope this gets thrown out of court by someone who knows a fucking thing or two.

• 2 weeks later...

It was in the german news but they only said that "a 14 y/o hacked himself into the school servers". LOL this shit is rediculous. Dafuq Murica?

What did he do, grab an Axe and hack open the servers and got inside of them?

What did he do, grab an Axe and hack open the servers and got inside of them?

no, even better! he only changed the wallpaper of his teacher. HACKING ON HIGHEST LEVEL.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List