I hate this.. please tell me its just a phase.

Tony.C

So I initially joined this forum to gather more information on building my first M-itx PC. Upon doing so, and even after the completion of the PC, I seem to find myself immersed in new tech and thoroughly researching them in pretty much all the sub-forums. Yes, you guys guessed it. I now find myself addicted and constantly wanting to upgrade or buy things I have gone perfectly without in the past. 

In just about 2 months time, I have spent about 2.5-3k and I am finding myself looking for more... This is a terrible addiction, probably a lot worse than gaming. I used to play games on the computer most of the time, but now I am fully content with just surfing the forums and researching around on amazing tech products all day and night.

I know I am not the only one out there, but I hope this phase will end sooner than later. 

:( but :) at the same time.. sigh

I went through that about 3 years ago when I built my first computer. Got over it after a month or so realizing that bills come before new toys.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

wow I dont even have 2.5k 

I dont have a job too young

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

Im in the same boat. so I sold my pc and bought a console. fixed the itch for me. I cant "just" buy another graphics card. its easy to justify a bit at the time, but a whole rig I never game on? no point. cant justify 1000$ at once.

I feel your pain, but now imagine you dont have the funds to satisfy that itch. The struggle is real.

It may be a phase but it's more likely permanent to some degree. My suggestion is to turn it into something productive and money making like being your neighborhood's personal IT guy in addition to your current job. 

You're one of us now... and there's no going back...

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

make a budget my friend... allocate x dollars per month and put it in an envelope labeled "tech money" 

If theres not enough tech money, then just save it and assure yourself that you can get it (whatever thing your looking at) or something better later.

It happens to us all who are interested in things, we just need to limit ourselves. Use the self-control skills that you learned when you were little and just know it will all turn out ok. realized how its a blessing to have what you have, there are many people who cant flat out afford to own a $500 computer much less a $2000-3000 one

If you dont limit yourself it will grow, we all just want everything the moment we see it lol. This is how a lot of people go into debt and/or go broke.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I still have the itch two years later. You just have to prioritize your life.

Top Hat=Classy Monocle=Villain  Top Hat+Monocle=Mr Peanut 

I love tech more than gaming now. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Well it seems there are many like myself.. this stuff really changes the person..

I used to be like.. omg 70 dollar mouse.. only losers with no skill in game would think they need such a ripoff to win at a game.. now I find myself looking for a sale on the exact same mouse, but not thinking its over-priced..

Or I don't need a new keyboard.. mine is perfectly fine.. now I am ordering new boards and looking at custom keycaps on massdrop..

Now that was just peripherals.. Life is pretty much like this.. with everything tech related..

Im in the same boat. so I sold my pc and bought a console. fixed the itch for me. I cant "just" buy another graphics card. its easy to justify a bit at the time, but a whole rig I never game on? no point. cant justify 1000$ at once.

Oh gosh.. I could never go back to a console.. I actually play a lot of games on the PC all my life.. but they were just not very good pcs in the past.

PCMASTERACE

Its been a phase with me for a couple decades. Just don't let yourself go too far, like buying 4 way TitanX SLI's to feel that momentary rush that is gone a week later, when you are looking to upgrade again. Gotta draw a line somewhere to keep yourself sane.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Oh gosh.. I could never go back to a console.. I actually play a lot of games on the PC all my life.. but they were just not very good pcs in the past.

PCMASTERACE

All my life I grew up on both. I decided to be realistic, I sold my dual 7970 machine, I got a Xbox to game with friends, and I'm about to get a alienware alpha to play my indie games and such.so still get to do everything, just much more economical

make a budget my friend... allocate x dollars per month and put it in an envelope labeled "tech money" 

If theres not enough tech money, then just save it and assure yourself that you can get it (whatever thing your looking at) or something better later.

It happens to us all who are interested in things, we just need to limit ourselves. Use the self-control skills that you learned when you were little and just know it will all turn out ok. realized how its a blessing to have what you have, there are many people who cant flat out afford to own a $500 computer much less a $2000-3000 one

If you dont limit yourself it will grow, we all just want everything the moment we see it lol. This is how a lot of people go into debt and/or go broke.

I know what you mean.. I used to be pretty good at saving my hard earned money.. its just when I see something go up for a good price I just cant pass up on it.. I need to like get married soon or like have a mortgage or something before this ends terribly lol

Well it seems there are many like myself.. this stuff really changes the person..

I used to be like.. omg 70 dollar mouse.. only losers with no skill in game would think they need such a ripoff to win at a game.. now I find myself looking for a sale on the exact same mouse, but not thinking its over-priced..

Or I don't need a new keyboard.. mine is perfectly fine.. now I am ordering new boards and looking at custom keycaps on massdrop..

Now that was just peripherals.. Life is pretty much like this.. with everything tech related..

True, when I first started posting here, I'd built an X79 gaming build a year or so prior, I was all about the pursuit of nice hardware, especially top end GPU from AMD (but do dabble with higher end nV GPU as well). Then I started on this keyboard phase, and proceeded to spend thousands on keyboards, accumulating about 30 keyboards along the way. Then I stepped into the world of audio, and this same pattern repeated itself, I now have 15 full size circumaural headphones from entry level to mid-tier to flagship cans, as well as a few portable cans and IEM's. And yes, literally quite a few thousand went into this 'phase'. I'm now consciously stopping myself from visiting forums where cans are being discussed and where used cans are put up for sale. The thing is, I'd started this audio phase just about 6 months back and have poured thousands into it.......too much and too fast for this rather addictive 'phase'.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

It's a phase,  a few months ago, i was like "oh yea going to upgrade to X99, and save up for a R9 295x2, until i later realized that i am more into motorbikes (a more expensive hobby) and now i don't really care much for tech, although i still want a new GPU :)

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

It happened to me too and now I"m paying off my credit card.

It's not a phase it's a habit. It won't change unless you change it. :0/

I downgraded to an i3 (because I didn't need any more than that) and stripped down and sold my old over-built gaming P.C. on eBay to pay off my credit card.

I'm agonising over whether I should pre-order GTAV for the in-game money (basically a ticket to every upgrade) but to be honest I'm probably going to brake and do just that...but...I've resolved not to buy any more hardware until I can pay for it with positive funds from my bank account, even if I can't run GTAV on the i3 (also I want to wait until someone hacks in proper driving physics (if they're going to let people mod)).

But no, it's not a phase, I'm sorry but I can't tell you it is. It's a habit and it's one you have to break to stop yourself ruining yourself. :0/

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

that's what media want make us into, a consumerism.

buying stuff you probably won't need or even use.

but in extent also making things easier to find, just be a smart one, spend for things you need not you want.

almost everyone had this problem, it just matter of time when they finally realize it, it's either at the bottom (0 funds) or hell (huge debt)

Naaah, its a rest of your life kinda thing. I will say it helped growing up in the insane period of PC gaming where your hardware was useless within a year of buying it...:That was "fun".....but kinda cured you of thing since it was such a waste of money.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Been into tech for around 6 years, I am still always wanting something new. Right now that is X99, a few months ago it was a 4k video camera (think fs7). I have not bought either one even though I do have the money, found always asking yourself if you need it or you want it helps. I have still screwed up though, bought a gorpo hero 3 white for a ski trip in December, have not used it since. I am thinking I wasted my money.

Been into tech for around 6 years, I am still always wanting something new. Right now that is X99, a few months ago it was a 4k video camera (think fs7). I have not bought either one even though I do have the money, found always asking yourself if you need it or you want it helps. I have still screwed up though, bought a gorpo hero 3 white for a ski trip in December, have not used it since. I am thinking I wasted my money.

yah right now I am looking at Audioengine 5+ for first set of legit speakers.. but I find myself always using headsets anyways.. and then theres the new 21:9 ultrawide monitors at 1440p.. I wanna get it.. but im running on a gtx 970 and will probably need a bigger desk.. Im still sane enough to know that no.. you dont want to do that now Tony.. 

Naaah, its a rest of your life kinda thing. I will say it helped growing up in the insane period of PC gaming where your hardware was useless within a year of buying it...:That was "fun".....but kinda cured you of thing since it was such a waste of money.

Rest of life sounds great if could afford to keep up with this stuff like that LOL.. 

Rest of life sounds great if could afford to keep up with this stuff like that LOL.. 

Work out a budget? :shrug:

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2