Custom Loops vs AIO- Temps?

I am debating on upgrading to a full custom loop with a gpu block, a custom loop and a sperate cooler using a kraken g10, or just having a aio cooler and a kraken g10 cooler. This all depends on the temps. What should I pick and which one would have the coolest temps? I always like having very cool temps even when overclocking and I already have postive air pressure in my case but I want to bump the cooling up a notch from my shitty 120mm aio cooler.

Thank you

temps depend on the radiator specs (size, thickness, and fin density)

if you have the same radiator, it will perform the same

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

temps depend on the radiator specs (size, thickness, and fin density)

if you have the same radiator, it will perform the same

This and also AIO's use aluminum rads (besides a select few). Copper and Brass Rad's have better thermal dissipation.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

This and also AIO's use aluminum rads (besides a select few). Copper and Brass Rad's have better thermal dissipation.

But will it be worth extra for having only a fews degrees C taken off?

I personally think so, but its arguable.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

I personally think so, but its arguable.

How much extra will it cost and I am looking for a 280mm rad and w/wo a gpu block depending on if having a kraken g10 with a 120mm rad separte would be better?

the thermal capacity of aluminum and copper is very close

the difference will not affect the temperatures

its less than a degree so no

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The only reason to go full custom over an AIO is looks and bragging rights. If you're really gung-ho on it and don't need the money you'll be spending on it, or the debt you'll be taking on, then go for it. It was a lot of fun to me planning out the loops I've built. And I'm considering modifying the loop in my system to provide for an external reservoir. Why? For the hell of it.

Will it make a significant difference? Since you're starting with a single 120mm or single 140mm radiator unit, then the difference might be a little more pronounced, but probably not earth-shattering, especially if you're not currently overclocking.

If you're wanting to bring temperatures down on your GPU, then consider the Kraken G10 and a compatible AIO for it -- you'll get similar performance compared to a custom water loop with a block, and stick with a single 120mm or single 140mm AIO as you don't need to go any higher than that. When I had a Kraken G10 w/ ThermalTake Water 2.0 Performer on a GTX 770, compared to the water blocks I currently have, the temperatures are about the same, though the load temperatures are a couple degrees cooler on the water block than with the AIO and G10. A lesser-expensive AIO with the G10 will be under $100 -- which is less than the cost of most GPU water blocks.

Otherwise, again, about the only reason to go full custom is looks. You can get better radiator capacity as well since you can string together as many rads as will fit in your case (or that you can piece together externally if you want to do that), but beyond a certain point, it won't make a difference on temperatures.

You'll probably get better value out of a Kraken G10 than going full custom. If the AIO you have on your CPU is compatible with the G10, then consider replacing it with an AIO with a 240mm or 280mm radiator and get the G10 for your GPU -- obviously make sure to get some new thermal compound. That route will give you better cooling on your CPU, plus allow you to put a water cooler on your GPU, for less than 150 USD depending on which AIO you select.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

I am debating on upgrading to a full custom loop with a gpu block, a custom loop and a sperate cooler using a kraken g10, or just having a aio cooler and a kraken g10 cooler. This all depends on the temps. What should I pick and which one would have the coolest temps? I always like having very cool temps even when overclocking and I already have postive air pressure in my case but I want to bump the cooling up a notch from my shitty 120mm aio cooler.

Thank you

Less than $100 will get you 85% of the performance of a custom loop.

Check out my How To Water Cool a CPU and GPU for Under $200 USD Guide.  I talk in great detail about the G10 mod.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."