AMC and Dolby team up to make the laser-powered movie theaters

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/9/8373533/dolby-cinema-amc-prime-movie-theater-laser-projector

dolby_cinema_amc_prime_2040.0.0.jpg

As all of you know, 4K has been around for sometimes now. Some theaters already have 4K, but not AMC. Now, Dolby and AMC are teaming up to do make laser-powered movie theaters.

Over the past decade there's been a home entertainment revolution as higher-resolution video, improved display technology, and streaming services have changed the way we watch movies and TV. - The Verge

That is some exiting new upgrades.

So when it will happen?

The Verge quote that

The first theaters that AMC will be updating with Dolby Cinema will be its high-end, "AMC Prime" screens, which only exist in a handful of locations nationwide. Those theaters, which already use Atmos surround sound, boast motorized reclining theater seats rigged with transducers that tie into a film's soundtrack, so when Optimus Prime shoots off into space at the end of Transformers: Age of Extinction, the seat rumbles to match. Four of the locations — Los Angeles, Kansas City, Houston, and Atlanta — will debut Dolby Cinema in mid-May, with an additional four locations to follow by the end of June. The chain will then begin converting additional screens into Dolby Cinema at AMC Prime venues, and expects to have 50 locations active by the end of 2018, with the number hitting 100 by 2024.

They also said that there will be about 100 theaters upgrade to 4k by the year 2024.

For more info, just go to the link below.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/9/8373533/dolby-cinema-amc-prime-movie-theater-laser-projector

This is my first post on the forums, so give me some feedbacks.

--

As all of you know, 4K has been around for sometimes now. If you don’t know this you’re a total noobs. 

This is my first post on the forums, so give me some feedbacks.  

its a decent post post, welcome to the forum,

Feedback : probably lay off the insults in news articles... not everyone here is up to scratch on tech knowledge, some people come here to learn about tech, not to be insulted that they do not know about it!!

All I can say about the news is... anything powered by lasers, its 100% something I want to purcahse

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Are not display are "just" UHD (3.8K) whereas cinemas are already using 4K (4096 pixels) for years, thanks to the massive screen?

Intriguing...                                                                 ...WANT!!!!

Shadowcaptain covered everything well. Welcome to the forums

Wut murica? Here we are watching IMAX 16K... And you arent even at 4K yet? Normally i wouldnt even give a shit, but at that screen size, 4K is the bare minimum

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

If you don’t know this you’re a total noobs.

Feedback : probably lay off the insults in news articles... not everyone here is up to scratch on tech knowledge, some people come here to learn about tech, not to be insulted that they do not know about it!!

I'd also like to add that using poor grammar while making an insult can only make things worse. I get you're probably trying to make jokes, I'm just giving you a heads up. :) Welcome to LTT!

Wut murica? Here we are watching IMAX 16K... And you arent even at 4K yet? Normally i wouldnt even give a shit, but at that screen size, 4K is the bare minimum

I agree.  The only cinema near me without a 2 hour drive is 4K and it has 1 pretty small screen and 1 very small screen compared to most (it was still using film until about 2 years ago).

(here's the website. http://www.obanphoenix.com/It doesn't say on the site but the new projector was lottery funded and is 4K 3D capable).

I've even heard there's 32K with some new Sony projectors.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

We need one in London at least !

I've never been to any "special" or "high-end" cinema.

Does anybody know what it costs for a ticket in these AMC cinemas ? To me $100 sounds appropriate atm as they are so rare.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Just an FYI, IMAX "16K" screens are simply IMAX 70mm film projectors. There are no commercial 16K digital projectors available. In fact, IMAX Digital projectors are still using 2K (slightly higher than HD - 2048 × 1080). They did start rolling out 4K Laser Projectors a couple years ago though (Which actually uses 2 projectors, side by side, to increase brightness), but definitely nothing even remotely close to 16K digital.

I've even heard there's 32K with some new Sony projectors.

Source? Outside of deep experimental R&D stuff, I doubt we'll see a 32K projector for at least another 5-10 years.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just an FYI, IMAX "16K" screens are simply IMAX 70mm film projectors. There are no commercial 16K digital projectors available. In fact, IMAX Digital projectors are still using 2K (slightly higher than HD - 2048 × 1080). They did start rolling out 4K Laser Projectors a couple years ago though (Which actually uses 2 projectors, side by side, to increase brightness), but definitely nothing even remotely close to 16K digital.

Source? Outside of deep experimental R&D stuff, I doubt we'll see a 32K projector for at least another 5-10 years.

I never said it was digital ;) I do however believe that for a while, IMAX 16k film is the best way to watch a film.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

This is really cool. When I first skimmed the title, I though Dolby was gonna have laser powered speakers. I was like wah!?

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

I never said it was digital ;) I do however believe that for a while, IMAX 16k film is the best way to watch a film.

I would agree. 70mm IMAX is basically the best visual experience you can get right now.

However, even Hollywood movies that are filmed in 70mm IMAX, only film portions of the movie in it.

I would love it if, for example, The Force Awakens was filmed completely in 70mm.

But, for now, I'm satisfied with RED 6K cameras and the like :P

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Everyone knows, everything is better with lasers.

EVERYTHING.

What about cocaine and hookers?

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

What about cocaine and hookers?

1. cocaine is stupid.

2. Hookers have diseases and sex with them is absolutely meaningless.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I've been to several different movie theaters, some independent, some not. I can say with great certainty that AMC theaters are my second favorite. The first being an independent theater where I used to live that was just extraordinarily good.

GIMMEH THE LAZURS

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

I've been to several different movie theaters, some independent, some not. I can say with great certainty that AMC theaters are my second favorite. The first being an independent theater where I used to live that was just extraordinarily good.

GIMMEH THE LAZURS

There are very few AMC theatres in my area. I have to travel to the Greater Toronto Area to find any. I've been to one once in the last several years and it was fairly good. Most theatres here are owned by Cineplex (Galaxy Cinemas, usually).

There is one Landmark Cinemas here (The used to be known as Empire Theatres) that has what they call "EXTRA" movies (Their version of IMAX). They have a 4K projector and reserved seating (IMO the best part) and only cost $15 (For 3D, I think it's $12 for non-3D). I saw Interstellar in that theatre and it was fucking. awesome.

The local Galaxy also just renovated, and got an "Ultra AVX" auditorium, which is another "IMAX-like" screen/projector, that boats improved projection and sound. Can't wait to try it out!

There are very few AMC theatres in my area. I have to travel to the Greater Toronto Area to find any. I've been to one once in the last several years and it was fairly good. Most theatres here are owned by Cineplex (Galaxy Cinemas, usually).

There is one Landmark Cinemas here (The used to be known as Empire Theatres) that has what they call "EXTRA" movies (Their version of IMAX). They have a 4K projector and reserved seating (IMO the best part) and only cost $15 (For 3D, I think it's $12 for non-3D). I saw Interstellar in that theatre and it was fucking. awesome.

The local Galaxy also just renovated, and got an "Ultra AVX" auditorium, which is another "IMAX-like" screen/projector, that boats improved projection and sound. Can't wait to try it out!

I've been to two Landmark Cinemas, one was shit the other was pretty great. Next time I'm by one I'll try it out, I love movie theaters.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

I've been to two Landmark Cinemas, one was shit the other was pretty great. Next time I'm by one I'll try it out, I love movie theaters.

If the one you try had any big action or epic pic in "Extra", then def try it out. I love the reserved seats. Showing up right as previews start with the best seat in the house is such a fantastic feeling xD