Upgrade my prebuild or start a new computer from scratch.

I have an HP Pavilion 500-164 and it fails to play games like Dragon Age Inquisition at playable framerates anymore. I have been wanting to build a computer but I don't want to put all my eggs into one basket and do I full build. Should I upgrade my prebuild with a Radeon R9 290x or something; I also would need to pop in a new power supply> Is this even a good idea given the fact that it only has an exhaust fan and a CPU cooler-no intake fan. This would essentially be a practice for my full on build. My alternative is to wait and then just do the full build outright (* I would need to do some saving).

what cpu does it have?

buy the gpu and power supply. see if it does what you want. if not, you would need the gpu+powersupply anyway. 

what cpu does it have?

buy the gpu and power supply. see if it does what you want. if not, you would need the gpu+powersupply anyway. 

Well the PSU in prebuilt computer isn't really a high quality (usually). So I'd recommend getting a Seasonic for instance.

Maybe I could just keep everything except the case and power supply, and then get a new GPU and powersupply and a fan.

The motherboard will also be custom and might have custom parts that won't fit into a normal case.

Upgrade the CPU its only got an A8 APU. Just start from scratch and keep the HDD and RAM like everyone else said.

Steve